Sign in to follow this  
Balack

Server showing LAN instead of Internet and others can't connect [FIXED]

Howdy! I've set up a server at home to run the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server. I got everything set up this morning and I'm able to connect to it through LAN no problem. But whenever anyone else tries to connect to my server, they aren't able to see it. It only shows up under LAN for me. I've been working with a buddy and having him check every possible setting and everything looks right. Ports are open according to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ . Settings are correct according to the wiki: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited)

Anyone else experience these issues? Thanks for all and any help!

EDIT: Fixed! Since the WU Dedicated Server update this morning, Everything appears to be working. If you're having the same problem as I had, change the steam query port in the server settings to something other than 27016 (something like 1212). Make sure the port you choose is open in your router settings. Big thanks to Tuanta for helping me test and everyone else in the thread for helping me troubleshoot.

Edited by Balack

Same problem here, I called my isp and after about an hour of questions it came to the fact that they block port forwarding and static ip's, which you need for it to work. I have to upgrade to a buissness "internet connection" to get all of this unlocked and working. You should call yours and see if it's a similar problem. Hoped it helped.

Same issue cant figure it out been at it all day long. Got it up on LAN, Kinda figured out how people can find me on Steam. But have no clue how to get it from LAN over to Internet so everyone can find me. I called my local network professional and he suggested i suspend firewalls but it still had no success. I opened my router and added the ports as suggest and yet no luck. After hours of trying i finally gave up looked for a hosting company. I found two one thats Linux based and one that Windows OS. was my 1st pick its https://www.bluefangsolutions.com. At $19.99 for small server a month how cna you beat that. So i think ill let them host and deal with this. 

Check your UDP settings. You have a "range" of ports redirecting to "one" port.

You can usually leave the Target port blank when dealing with ranges.

Edit: Also, try starting at 27000 rather than 27016

Edited by Tuanta

Check your UDP settings. You have a "range" of ports redirecting to "one" port.

You can usually leave the Target port blank when dealing with ranges.

Edit: Also, try starting at 27000 rather than 27016

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Also thanks to everyone else who has posted. I'm in contact with my ISP right now to see if it's on their end.

Fixed those UDP ports and still nothing.

Apparently one of my friends can see me playing on my Wurm server when he views my info through Steam and he sees the correct IP address and port, but he still gets "Network error: <Connection timed out: connect>" when he tries to join.

People will be able to see you playing on the game regardless of whether or not it's a public server. What's your network map like? Is it computer -> router -> modem? If so, are you sure your modem doesn't have some sort of built in router function that has NAT? If so, this could also be blocking your connection. 

Also an additional note, there is no way for the Wurm  Unlimited server to bind to your external IP address, as another network node is already binded to that address and using it. So 192.168.0.156 is in fact the correct IP address to use, given that is in fact the correct IP that is being assigned to the host machine that you're launching Wurm Unlimited server on. 

People will be able to see you playing on the game regardless of whether or not it's a public server. What's your network map like? Is it computer -> router -> modem? If so, are you sure your modem doesn't have some sort of built in router function that has NAT? If so, this could also be blocking your connection. 

Also an additional note, there is no way for the Wurm  Unlimited server to bind to your external IP address, as another network node is already binded to that address and using it. So 192.168.0.156 is in fact the correct IP address to use, given that is in fact the correct IP that is being assigned to the host machine that you're launching Wurm Unlimited server on. 

Ok, so since you're able to verify that you're TCP ports are actively listening on your on your external IP as you've shown on canyouseeme.org the only thing that is left is to verify the UDP ports and make sure they're being forward, or if UDP ports are even allowed to be forwarding with your current ISP. 

There is a way you can test to see if UDP ports are being forwarded properly. You'll need to download netcat 1.11 from:

https://eternallybored.org/misc/netcat/

After you download it extract the contents of the zip. Open the netcat-1.11 directory after you've extracted then shift right click within that directory to get an option to 'open command window here'. Go ahead and do that once more.

So the first time you'll run this program it will be acting as the 'server' the second instance will be acting as the client attempting to connect to the server.

In the first command prompt window run the following command:

nc64.exe -ul -p 8766
What this does is opens the program listening on UDP port 8766

Next will try and connect to this 'server'. In the other command prompt window you have open run the following command:

nc64.exe -u 173.17.xxx.xxx 8766
Obviously replace the xxx with the rest of the numbers to your IP address. So now you'll attempt to type in something and hit enter on the client command prompt. If you see what you typed in go through to the 'server' then your port is successfully opened. If you type something and hit enter and nothing goes through then that UDP port is still being blocked somewhere by something.

Let me know if you need any further help with this.

Wait, I just noticed your screenshot is showing the "Server Neighbor" tab. You should be using the "Local Server" tab for your primary server. (Your router's port forwarding will make your "local" server "public".)

Be sure to delete any "Server Neighbors" you may have configured.

Technically I imagine that would create a internal server host ip conflict which may indeed be your issue.

That's my next guess anyway.

Goodluck

Hey Drakeling, thanks for all the help. I very much appreciate it.

I went ahead and did your instructions and indeed nothing went through. So that probably does confirm that the UDP port(s) are being blocked.

@Taunta, the screenshot I took was while the server was running. I thought it was the local tab but I do have the local server tab set up correctly and any server neighbors have been deleted. I'll give it another test later when one of my friends get on.

If it comes to it, I can bring my server over to my brother's house. He has the same ISP as me so that should give me a better idea if it is indeed the ISP blocking whatever. Another option would be trying a different operating system entirely, but I do believe I have tried everything I could on Windows 10 to try to get this working.

This morning they added an update that lets you change the steam query port of the server. I changed mine to something else and now my server is showing up under the Internet tab! I won't be 100% sure it's fixed until one of my friends gets on but this is looking very promising.

edit: Anyone around that could help me test? I'll give you the server info.

Edited by Balack

Okay,

FYI, I also have mine running on a fresh install of Windows 10 and it's accessible.

(I didn't have to do anything other than setup the port forwarding on the router) So I don't believe your issue is OS related.

Here's my port info from the router in case it may help.

wVisPlH.png

Hope you get it figured out.

Edit: I'd recommend a full power cycle on your router if you haven't tried that yet.

Some don't handle port forwarding well and need a reboot to fix.

Edited by Tuanta

No setting changes worked for us, but my friend was able to join by "Connect by IP".  Just fyi, in case someone else is having this issue.