Sign in to follow this  
Jmil

house construction issue

So I've found an iron vein, a wood source, flattened the ground, and finalized my structure plans.  I'm ready to build my first house.  When I attempt to build a wall (or anything else) I get the message -

"You need permission in order to make modifications to this structure"

I'm the structure owner so why am I getting this?  What am I doing wrong?  Thank you.

Hmmmm....are you in adventure or creative?  If the former, are you trying to build in one of the cities?  Do you hold the writ and have you checked that you are the 'owner' on it?

I'm in adventure and not in a city (you enter no known kingdom).  I never had a writ in my inventory and I've demolished and restarted a structure over and over.

Oh, right, writs are no longer used due to the new permission system.  Whoops.  Try right clicking the structure and checking the permissions.  Also make sure you are clicking "finalize structure" before attempting to build walls.

I've given myself all permissions and hit apply.  I'm not sure why I should need to since I'm the owner.  It still gives me the message that I don't have permission to build a wall.

The server my friends and I are running are finding that normal players are having this issue, like all of them. Not sure why. Really need some help figuring this out.

you have stumbled upon the same problem i did....

uncheck Home server in the server startup....

the event log "you enter no known kingdom" gives it away...you can't build unless you are in your own kingdom....

with home server checked and no kingdom written in the box below...then none of the kingdoms are registering....

That's unfortunate.  I expect these kinds of problems when I buy into early access games but I thought this was ready.  I guess I should have waited to buy it but I was kinda excited to play it since I really enjoyed playing wurm online in the past.

• Like 1

Jmil--just have the person who runs the server restart it without 'home server' checked.  This isn't really a 'bug' or a 'problem'.  It's an error on part of the person hosting the server.

Thank you for the feedback.  So I've restarted the server with home server unchecked and I'm still experiencing the same issue.  Its a LAN server if that makes any difference.  Any suggestions?

I was able to work around this issue by changing my game management setting for my avatar from 0 to 5.  This creates an issue when I try to mine minerals though, I destroy veins when I tap them.  Probably not the best solution but I'll switch my settings back and forth so I can build/mine until I figure something else out.

I have the same problem.

If you uncheck the Home box, the problem is still there...

Think it will be fixed? 

Or will I have to start over again?

I'm just playing on my own with a LAN server.

If the problem is a kingdom thing, it may be that even iif you uncheck Home Server, the existing chars are still not a member of a kingdom...

You might try creating one new character to see if they can build to confirm if that is the issue.

Edited by Kyleshandra

I started over :/ 

And decided for not being in a kingdom, and got bashed by guards, so that was also a bad idea :P

On 10/22/2015 at 1:57 AM, Jmil said:

So I've found an iron vein, a wood source, flattened the ground, and finalized my Interior design company in dubai structure plans.  I'm ready to build my first house.  When I attempt to build a wall (or anything else) I get the message -

"You need permission in order to make modifications to this structure"

I'm the structure owner so why am I getting this?  What am I doing wrong?  Thank you.

the person who runs the server restart it without 'home server' checked.  This isn't really a 'bug' or a 'problem'.  It's an error on part of the person hosting the server.