Sign in to follow this  
robino

bind SPACE "toggle mouselook"

lack of mouselook without holding down LMB like some 1998 rpg is one of the main complaints in the negative reviews on Steam

1) the toggle mouselook command isn't even mentioned here:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Key_bindings

2) you should make this the default so new players don't hate the game

Played WO for years and broke my wrist holding down the button when not resorting to Q/E spinning.   Never new they had a keybind.   WU has a settings screen for keybinds no need to use commands unless it is not actually in there?

I don't see this in the launchers game setting keybinds, i would expect it under HUD where the other toggle commands are.  How do I default it so I do not have to keybind it every game load?  If it is not there rather than me just not finding it then this should be a bug report....

Edited by yarnevk

This actually bothers people? Have they never played any other MMO ever?

Quite petty to actually complain about it.

Edited by Acurapassion

MMO's typically utilize the RMB/LMB click to mouselook. Most first-person games use a mouselook method without having to click. Part of the reason for this because of MMO's have much more to interact with in-game that require a mouse on-screen while first-person games typically do not. The mouse is used to interact with many of the objects/creatures/buttons in Wurm. They obviously haven't played long enough to realize this. They're simply complaining to complain.

Thanks for posting this tip, though.

• Like 1

i would have quit long ago if they had never implemented toggle mouselook

don't you get repetitive strain syndrome having to hold down LMB constantly?

i did - so it's not petty to me

Edited by robino

I don't see this in the launchers game setting keybinds, i would expect it under HUD where the other toggle commands are.  How do I default it so I do not have to keybind it every game load?  If it is not there rather than me just not finding it then this should be a bug report....

you have to type it in

it will save to a keybinds file and you won't need to do it every time you load

Edited by robino

@Raix, @Acurapassion have played for years and always complained about thanks for acting like you are the MMO pro though that gets to tell other people how they want to play.  Take that elitist attitude elsewhere.   My carpal tunnel knows better than you do that I need mouselook without having to hold a button down.  Don't use it if you feel it makes you more of a pro.

You do realize that few MMOs are first person, but the biggest that is would be ESO which also has a toggle key for mouse to use the GUI to get out of the default free mouselook.   Obviously the devs also knew this if they added the command years ago, they could have promoted the keybind into the editor though so people was aware it was there.

Edited by yarnevk

you have to type it in

it will save to a keybinds file and you won't need to do it every time you load

OK thanks, it is still a bug though if it is not in the keybinds editor.

Honestly, you only have to click the mouse whenever you want to turn your head in Wurm. You don't have to hold it down the entire time you're moving or looking straight ahead. It's not straining. This is FAR less clicking than any game close to an FPS. I would make the argument that you probably click MUCH more during activities in Wurm like smithing or panfilling.

I apologize that you have carpal tunnel, but you also need to understand that from a development standpoint creating the game this way simply made sense. It's tiring to see people quit a game because they thought it should be one way when in reality it clearly shouldn't have. These are the kind of people who believe their opinion is truth and aren't open-minded enough to talk about it. That's not my elitism, that's their elitism. Obviously there are SOME instances where the mouse-look needs to be on a toggle (like yours') - but hey, there's an option for that! I DO NOT believe it should be the default.

I agree that this option not being in the editor is silly, but it's also a very scarcely used binding. Perhaps they should make a special tab for the these in the editor.

• Like 1

Take your MMO elitism to the ESO board and tell those devs have it wrong with free mouselook, they was clearly able to design an MMO that has a mouse UI without forcing you to hold mouse to look around. It is actually more common that first person MMOs support free mouselook directly as default.  The game plays just fine with this option, it is not at all cumbersome to go into UI mode at all.   It is not at all the coding nor design issue you are making it out to be.   You seem to fail to realize we are in the WU section not the WO section and your attitude that we are special snowflakes for wanting this is not warranted.  There already is a place in the keybinds HUD section right next to all the other UI toggles where it could go, and if a server operator wants to enforce that default to avoid the support burden having to tell people where the option is hidden, they should have that option to set it up that way

Edited by yarnevk

@Raix, @Acurapassion have played for years and always complained about thanks for acting like you are the MMO pro though that gets to tell other people how they want to play.  Take that elitist attitude elsewhere.   My carpal tunnel knows better than you do that I need mouselook without having to hold a button down.  Don't use it if you feel it makes you more of a pro.

You do realize that few MMOs are first person, but the biggest that is would be ESO which also has a toggle key for mouse to use the GUI to get out of the default free mouselook.   Obviously the devs also knew this if they added the command years ago, they could have promoted the keybind into the editor though so people was aware it was there.

Pretty sure you're the only one here with an elitist attitude. I didn't tell anyone to do anything, you on the other hand did.

Take your MMO elitism to the ESO board and tell those devs have it wrong with free mouselook, they was clearly able to design an MMO that has a mouse UI without forcing you to hold mouse to look around. It is actually more common that first person MMOs support free mouselook directly as default.  The game plays just fine with this option, it is not at all cumbersome to go into UI mode at all.   It is not at all the coding nor design issue you are making it out to be.   You seem to fail to realize we are in the WU section not the WO section and your attitude that we are special snowflakes for wanting this is not warranted.  There already is a place in the keybinds HUD section right next to all the other UI toggles where it could go, and if a server operator wants to enforce that default to avoid the support burden having to tell people where the option is hidden, they should have that option to set it up that way

I've been playing Wurm since 2006, along with many other games and MMOs, and out of them all, Wurm has always been the least stress on my hands.

Edited by Acurapassion

@yarnevk Please go back and read my posts, I think you have me misunderstood. I never said ESO or similar first-person mmos need to run like Wurm does. I said that they do not have the amount of mouse-click interaction as Wurm. This sets them apart. I was making a comparison. You've missed my points completely and instead casted me off as an elitist. Your attitude is the one that is not warranted.

Also, not to sound rude, but you're in the very small minority of people who play the game with this toggle. Making it the default on a WU server would only cause a greater amount of support issue from people trying to change it back. It wouldn't fix a thing.

• Like 2

This actually bothers people? Have they never played any other MMO ever?

Quite petty to actually complain about it.

Pretty sure you are telling people not to complain.....which is telling people how to play the game your way.  It is the usual elitest comment of Learn To Play that is very offensive.

It is a valid complaint - your experience with your hands has nothing to do with my hands. Repetitive motion stress issues are an actual workplace injury, and maybe you have not noticed how much work wurm is to play, but it does cause people problems.  Even though WU is faster they have not reduced how much key/mouse clicking is required.

The only thing I said was put the toggle option into the keybind menu where it belongs with all the other toggle options that are already there, I did not tell you how to play nor anyone else how to play.   The console command was so buried that even finding it on the wiki was a challenge.

Luckily the devs did not listen to you when they put the option in.  They just did not complete the job when they added the keybind and should have put it on the keybind menu like most everything else.

Edited by yarnevk

. Making it the default on a WU server would only cause a greater amount of support issue from people trying to change it back. It wouldn't fix a thing.

That is not your decision now is it? It is not any different than a server operator saying their server defaults to third person because they prefer people play that way.   The server owner is the one that gets to decide that, not you.  You can simply choose not to play there.  This is not WO where you can be the vocal minority telling others how to play.

Edited by yarnevk

Pretty sure you are telling people not to complain.....which is telling people how to play the game your way.  It is the usual elitest comment of Learn To Play that is very offensive.

It is a valid complaint - your experience with your hands has nothing to do with my hands. Repetitive motion stress issues are an actual workplace injury, and maybe you have not noticed how much work wurm is to play, but it does cause people problems.  Even though WU is faster they have not reduced how much key/mouse clicking is required.

The only thing I said was put the toggle option into the keybind menu where it belongs with all the other toggle options that are already there, I did not tell you how to play nor anyone else how to play.   The console command was so buried that even finding it on the wiki was a challenge.

Luckily the devs did not listen to you when they put the option in.  They just did not complete the job when they added the keybind and should have put it on the keybind menu like most everything else.

You sure enjoy jumping to extremes don't you?

• Like 1