Sign in to follow this  
Adambean

Running Wurm Unlimited dedicated server as an unattended process

Hi,

I've downloaded and have been running Wurm Unlimited dedicated server without any issues now, but currently the server process relies on the GUI window to start it after launching the executable. (Windows btw) I typically run all server processes, including game servers, as an unattended process by a non-administrator for security and automation purposes.

Though I can run the Wurm server launcher as a Windows service, it relies on clicking "Start" in the GUI to really start. Are there any command parameters I can pass to the Wurm server launcher so the GUI isn't required (or rendered) at all? And if so, the settings that appear in the launcher, can these be declared via parameters or a configuration file?

There really should be a -nogui option, and for linux it should not require X to be installed at all for a server software (I was told it's required).

Edited by Ulviirala

Make a .bat file  and put

start WurmServerLauncher start=Creative

Boom no more gui. Start=Creative   put your map name,server type.

When i work out more info i will post it up.  

• Like 1

Thanks goatboynz, "start=worldname" sounds like what I needed. I won't be using a batch file as I intend to run the process as a Windows service. Hopefully the console has good logging options/facilities.

Tried that goat, but get "incoming RMI is disbaled"

anything specific i need to enter or just start wurmserverlauncher start=servername

Nevermind just needed to be ran as administrator

Edited by theagain

A game server process should not need administrator permissions, even when running as a service. (HLDS, SRCDS, SvenDS, and Minecraft game servers don't)

• Like 1

On 10/24/2015 at 1:37 PM, goatboynz said:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited)

Tells you everything you need to know about getting a server or 2,3,4,5,6 up and running and shows you how to link them all. I might make a video on how to get it all working after the weekend as long weekend = drinky drinky

I call BS, I literally got someone from one of the videos on discord to help me and we couldn't figure out how to get 1 started on the internet.  We followed instructions maticulously and they already have a public one working.  For instance the way the ports work is a little diff then how they explain it.  There's just this assumption about certain processes and functions that are way more technical then just throwing some numbers on a screen.  It does not tell you everything you need to know and yes the video to get started is still very much needed.  You have to deal with map generation putting that in, there's the ports and diff types of port forwarding such as single port or port range for instance.  Still unclear if the personal firewall on your computer needs to allow something or not bcz it doesn't offer the same options as a router for instance the option "both" doesn't exist for udp or tcp - prolly got those wrong - so does that mean i do 2 rules that tell the firewall on my computer for 1 of the ports?

Also we noticed a difference on my computer where the dedicated server wasn't showing up on the firewall on my computer even though i was using the program.  We tried typing the server into the search bar from the firewall screen but didn't work.  Oh ya there is definitely not enuff information on any guide anywhere for this process. 

11:47 AM] Kintec: Right there is no singular guide for it.

[11:47 AM] Kintec: Map making is one task

[11:47 AM] Kintec: Server configuraiton another task

[11:47 AM] Kintec: Mods is another task and skill set

41 minutes ago, Ninjai said:

I call BS, I literally got someone from one of the videos on discord to help me and we couldn't figure out how to get 1 started on the internet.  We followed instructions maticulously and they already have a public one working.  For instance the way the ports work is a little diff then how they explain it.  There's just this assumption about certain processes and functions that are way more technical then just throwing some numbers on a screen.  It does not tell you everything you need to know and yes the video to get started is still very much needed.  You have to deal with map generation putting that in, there's the ports and diff types of port forwarding such as single port or port range for instance.  Still unclear if the personal firewall on your computer needs to allow something or not bcz it doesn't offer the same options as a router for instance the option "both" doesn't exist for udp or tcp - prolly got those wrong - so does that mean i do 2 rules that tell the firewall on my computer for 1 of the ports?

Also we noticed a difference on my computer where the dedicated server wasn't showing up on the firewall on my computer even though i was using the program.  We tried typing the server into the search bar from the firewall screen but didn't work.  Oh ya there is definitely not enuff information on any guide anywhere for this process. 

11:47 AM] Kintec: Right there is no singular guide for it.

[11:47 AM] Kintec: Map making is one task

[11:47 AM] Kintec: Server configuraiton another task

[11:47 AM] Kintec: Mods is another task and skill set

The truth is no matter how often they say that Wurm Unlimited was designed for private servers, you need technical knowledge to run a WU server.

The DEVs never thought about what's needed to run a WU server, they just said well it is for small private servers run by anyone. Reality looks different.

The Wurm Unlimited server is a Human Computer interaction design fail, well if you are interested in the topics of HCI there are a lot science papers: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_sdt=1,5&q=human+computer+interaction&hl=de&as_vis=1

oh wow i'm very interested in this i'm learning powershell and python atm and my coding is very limited atm (if i could even call it coding :P)

Tyvm

I have 2 routers one provided by the internet provider and lynksis my personal i've opened ports on both routers and the server ports have to be opened via a phone call to a customer service associate.  the ipaddress on one router is diff from the personal but the associate assures me the personal is the only one i need.