Sign in to follow this  
Jotam

activate tree collision

Is it possible to activate tree collision? When yes, how / where?

Thanks

Is it possible to activate tree collision? When yes, how / where?

Thanks

Jericho--it was turned off because of a combination of things.  A. it was being used as an exploit (easier climbing of mountains, blocking player movement) B. it was becoming problematic with people and belonging getting stuck in dense trees all the time.

Particularly in virgin wilderness like private servers, your egress would be greatly hindered.  That's cool if that's what you want, but you can see why it was removed.  It's been that way on WO for a while now.

It is not an exploit to rest on a tree anymore than it is to rest on a tree on a real world hike.

It is not a problem getting stuck on a tree,  just chop the tree down.

It is not an exploit to fall down a cliff  badly bruising your body as you bounce off trees saving you from certain death when that is also real world.

The real reason it was changed was the elite wanting to drive their quadoxen supply wagons into the woods rather than having to do some logging and dirt road building so they could walk their small cart in or having to build a 4 lane  transport highway for travel safety.  But they like to hide that fact and claim to Rolf people other than them was exploiting the game.

Please someone patch it back.   I have a request out for an unfixfix mod collection that covers past game changes just like this.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

I like WURM better with it on but I can see issues with it on PVP servers!

What about thorn bushes - was it's natural defense of a wounding collision box removed as well?  My indy deed that was a takeover project tried to keep me out with those....

I assumed tree collision was removed when they wrote the new collision code that enabled bridges because the new system is not as efficient.  Where was it stated that it was because of "exploits"?

I assumed tree collision was removed when they wrote the new collision code that enabled bridges because the new system is not as efficient.  Where was it stated that it was because of "exploits"?

That makes perfect sense, tbh and I wouldn't be surprised if "fixing" it broke bridges.  There was a discussion at some point on the forums about tree collision being used on PVP servers to be exploitative and I know people's carts getting stuck in trees has been a long standing issue.

Edited by JackBinimbul

Read Rolf patch notes, he turned it off because he did not want to take the time to see what collisions could be turned off and on and said it would be 'temporary' until he had time to look into it - he never actually attempted to test it or fix it, it was just off to make bridges easier to develop in a timely manner for release.  

This request is about modding where people can take all the time in the world to do it right because they do not need to get something released for financial reasons of renewed subs, and do not have to worry about both PVP sides whispering exploit into each of his ears leading to rash decision, because you can choose to use the mod or not on your server.

Again getting carts stuck is not an issue because you can chop down the tree.   They got stuck so you would have some sense to not bring a cart into a forest and actually have to log the road.

Exploiting PVP is being able to run your supply lines thru a forest with no logistical hazards.  Might as well be able to fly....nothing wrong with it either way as long as both sides agree to the rules of having logistical hazards in PVP.   Do you also want to make deep sea ships be able to cross canals like Knarrs do because they are exploiting the map going where you cannot?  It is the exact same problem of collision after all.

There is nothing exploited hugging trees when climbing mountains, repeating that fallacy does not make it so.  It makes way more logical sense than being able to build cliff ladders using fences.

Edited by yarnevk

We oughtta look in the mods section to see if there is a mod request forum. I'd +1 all over a tree collision mod request!