Sign in to follow this  
Serenia

Cannot start server using external IP

Hi,

I've been playing with the server in local mode for a few hours and wanted to test putting it online so I forwarded the ports and added my external IP in to the server config - problem is now it looks like there's some sort of java exception/crash every time I try to start the server.

It's tough to see exactly what the little cmd window is saying, do we get an error log that I could post up here?

Cheers

Edit: Found the log file, this seems to be the important bit - does it just look like I need to play around with the ports some more?

Oct 21, 2015 9:53:43 PM com.wurmonline.communication.SocketServer <init>

INFO: Creating Wurm SocketServer on /86.18.xxx.xxx:3724

Oct 21, 2015 9:53:43 PM com.wurmonline.server.Server shutDown

INFO: Shutting down the server - reason: Problem running the server - Cannot assign requested address: bind

Oct 21, 2015 9:53:43 PM com.wurmonline.server.Server shutDown

INFO: Shutting down the server - cause: 

java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind

at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)

at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
Edited by Serenia

you always have to use the IP address of your hosting computer.. you cant bind to an external IP not used by the PC you are running the server on.

It is the IP address assigned to my computer, but rather than the LAN IP of 192.168.0.2 it's the above IP shown in the logs

Edited by Serenia

No matter what you change it to, the game will use the original value. It's bugged.

It's not that, it looks like it's trying to start the server on the correct IP but for some reason it can't bind it. I don't have anything else using that port so I've no idea why I can't start the server.

I'm now having another issue where I can't even see my server in the LAN tab of the server browser after changing nothing. Trying a fresh install of the client but again no idea why this has happened.

If you have two nics, one internal and one external try disabling the internal one start the server and then turn the internal back on.

I had to do this one time with the dedicated server, after that it just worked.

I got my dedicatex server running ok witn the external IP of my internet connection, and an internal of the PC it is on.

Though i have not forwarded any ports for it yet as i dont want it seen.

I am having this same problem. I have a second laptop running the server. It's fine on the local IP across my LAN, but if I change the external IP to my computers IP to try and make it available to the Internet through Steam, I get the "Problem running the server - Cannot assign requested address: bind" error.

I've checked all my ports are opened. No idea what the problem is.

I am having this same problem. I have a second laptop running the server. It's fine on the local IP across my LAN, but if I change the external IP to my computers IP to try and make it available to the Internet through Steam, I get the "Problem running the server - Cannot assign requested address: bind" error.

I've checked all my ports are opened. No idea what the problem is.

I'm not entirely sure I'm clear on the entire picture here. You say 'make it available to the Internet through steam' but I'm unclear on what you mean. The way you make your Wurm Unlimited dedicated server available to appear on steam is opening the Steam Query port to be available externally, usually done through port forwarding on the router.  Do you have the locally assigned IP address that your 'second laptop' is getting filled in the internal and external IP fields on the Wurm Unlimited server configuration? Also, are you sure your laptop is not trying to bind to a different network adapter, since it's a laptop I'm assuming more than likely it has a wireless card in it. Also, do you run any VPN software that would route your external traffic to a different network?

What I want to do is leave my server running on my second laptop at home, and then connect to it through Steam on my main laptop from elsewhere - such as at my Parents house. Normally I just run it locally across my LAN but if I'm not at home I need the server to be showing up in the public severs list, and not the LAN list of available servers.

The laptop running the server has all additional NICs disabled, and I have checked the IP address the remaining one is using but that's for the internal IP address. I'm getting the error binding to the external IP address - that of my actual computer, not the 192.168.x.x one. 

No VPN software.

So that I understand you, so far you've configured your server with

Server External IP Address = Your external IP

Internal IP = 192.168.x.x

?

If so, that is not how you want to configure it for a machine that is sitting behind a router. You'll want to configure both internal and external IP so that both fields are as follows:

Server External IP = 192.168.x.x

Internal IP = 192.168.x.x

Additionally, on your router you'll need to make sure you configure port forwarding for the following ports

'Server External Port' = default 3724 (unless you've changed this to something different)

'Steam Query Port' = default 27016 (unless changed)

IP addresses should be of the NIC of your machine. Dont use your routers IP.