Sign in to follow this  
keoki

Separate PC for dedicated server in LAN?

Let's say I want to play the game on my main PC and run the dedicated server on my second PC. I have my second PC on all the time anyways so I figured it would be the best choice for running the server. But, how do I do this?

I installed Steam on my second PC, installed the dedicate server, but I get kicked off Steam on my main PC when I try to start the server. So, how do I run the dedicated server on my second PC and play on my main? 

So, I read another guide that says I need a second Steam account to run the dedicated server on another PC. I create a second account and go to the Tools section that has all the dedicated server downloads and Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server is not on the list. I have 78 other dedicated servers and tools I can use but Wurm is not one of them.

Maybe it needs to be a Wurm Unlimited Steam account?

I don't think you can just run it without buying it with the account.

Edited by Uberknot

Not necessarily true for dedicated servers for steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7017-UJBN-6785#account

From that link above:

Note:

You do not need to register any games to your server account in order to host games.

On my second steam account with no games registered, I can install and host games for Call of Duty: Modern Warhare 3, Half-Life, Homefront, Just Cause 2: Multiplayer, Source, Sniper Elite, and a ton more.

I think CC didn't setup the Dedicated Server game correctly on Steam. You shouldn't need a valid WU registered on your account to host games. Dedicated servers shouldn't need a license because you can't play on it anyways without a valid WU licensed game on another account. 

Just launch the dedicated server with the exe in that folder.  Don't launch it through the Steam interface.

• Like 1