Sign in to follow this  
ZaZ213

Dedicated Server performance information thread

Please add map size and mob numbers off your Server. Without those its impossible to compare different servers or figure out which kind of VPS has to be ordered to get a certain setup running well.

Forgot to post details, updated it. Also going to update when I can get some people to help me test it.

Just running the server in the back ground on my computer and watching stats this includes all programs running on my machine atm.

In and out go up and down peaks at about 200 bytes/s  average probably around 120.

no one logged in.

CPU load is at...3-5% Temp peaks at 23C-29C

Memory is at  40% OF 8 GB

2048x2048

12500 mobs 75% aggressive 25% passive

The really high peaks are me on forums...

2w3uhr9.png

Edited by Uberknot

Been running a Wurm Server locally all night, and found something very interesting.

Map is a 4096 with 50,000 animals

Memory usage has stayed around 1GB (lot lower than I thought would be)

CPU is now significant and is using almost 9% constant of a 4770K (8 thread CPU)

But what's most interesting and also worrying is the Disk access - its now constantly doing 130MB per second access that's a LOT, and will wear out disks pretty quick. Surprised the DB isn't loading it into memory and then only updating the disk every 5 minutes as constantly updating the DB on the disk will really shorten the life of hard drives.

--------------

Yea all the stats for me are the same on map but im at 100,000 spawns..  

with last patch i see CPU now at 2-3% and memory is running around 2.7Gb  with a load.

Disk is still a little concern so I moved the DB to a dedicated MySQL server which runs on SSD raid 5.   

I was really happy about the last patch and CPU!!  I cant stay that enough   :)

Edited by razoreqx

Ok jacked up the server to 25k animals 90% aggressive 10% passive.

CPU load is around 6-9% temps peaking at 28-34C

Averaging around 520 kb an hour at a rate of around 144 bytes a sec.

serve size 2048x2048 no one in game.

Now to compare the two results.

2048x2048 dedicated server from cpu

12.5k mobs, 120 bytes/s, cpu 3-5%, 20% ram, temp 23C-29C

25k mobs, 144 bytes/s, cpu 6-9%,  22% ram, temp 28C-34C

oh yeah system info...

intel i7 4790k 4.0 ghz

16 GB DDR 3 1866 HyperX Savage ( added 8 GB today )

240 GB SSD HyperX Savage

Asus 460 GTX

Gigabyte gaming 7 board

Phobya LT 400 water cooling kit.

Xfinity 90 Mbps d/l 12 Mpbs u/l

Edited by Uberknot

servers run pretty light.  i7 4 cores 3ghz, 16GB RAM laptop.

2048 island.  100k mobs

started at 600MB and now 1.1GB after 1 day of spawning.  Only 1-3% CPU.

When I log in a character from another laptop, the host laptop spikes in CPU by 3-4%, but settles back down shortly after.  Actually playing the game seems to have almost no impact on the server CPU/RAM, when the connecting client is on a different computer.

I'll run some tests on spawning massive quantities of stuff, adding to and removing from containers, etc.  I have an insatiable need to see how many coins it takes to kill my server ;)

Edit:  After a week of uptime, CPU stayed the same, but RAM hit 1.5GB.  So I bumped the count to 1m creatures (1 every 4 tiles) and will see how that goes...

Edited by Wurmhole

bumped to 1million critters and after a couple days I am at 1.8GB RAM.  Getting some very dense populations of critters now, but I can see a lot of open area, so I think it will be a while before I hit 1m.

Edit: Two more days (now the 18th) and 2.2GB of RAM.  Seems about 200MB a day for new critters being added.  Could also be new plants spawning as well, but I have the rate of biome expansion set pretty low.  CPU is still a bare minimum.  Running under 1% with no characters actively on the server.

new%20darq%201m%20critters%202%20days_zp

Edited by Wurmhole

good question and I've been curious about that too.  I doubt it though, since 1m critters is generally under 1% CPU.  However, I am now getting a 100% CPU spike every 30 sec, when critter AI tries to move them all.  Only just started happening about 9 day into my 1m critter test.  Will reboot server and see if it clears it.

Edit: yep, cleared on reboot.  RAM dropped from 2.3GB to 1.7GB on reboot as well.  Probably just need to set a weekly reboot schedule.  Maybe less when more of the critters show up.

Edited by Wurmhole

On 2015-11-20, 1:33:03, Uberknot said:

I wonder if trees take up cpu I have a crap ton of those.

By default trees don't spread on their own and shouldn't be using any CPU. If you have changed it manually in the DB then they should use some, but I doubt it will be much. They don't do the check often afaik.