Sign in to follow this  
ZaZ213

Dedicated Server performance information thread

Hi all,

I thought it might be useful to collect some real life performance information from servers being run to have an idea of what works well and what people should expect from running a server. So here is my info:

swF9lb4.png

As you can see the server is using about 786MB of RAM currently and is idling about 1-2% CPU, it started at about 400MB and has been steadily climbing a few MB every 15 minutes or so its been running about an hour now I can only assume from spawning mobs since the server is idle and no one has yet joined. I think it would be helpful if other people post their experiences so we can get a general idea of what it takes to run a server. I ask that we keep the information standardised please feel free to use the following format:

Java version: 1.8 latest

Server Options:

-Mobs: 20k

-Servers: 1 main, 1 attached north both default creative maps

-Otherwise defaults

CPU: i7 4790

RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz

HDD Type: SSD

Special notes:

This server is in a class 2 datacenter with 100MB up/down

Please feel free to fiddle around in this server its a test for now everything will be wiped when I configure things like I want: play.earf2.net

This server is running headless and has no GUI, it has other servers running, no performance info ingame yet.

Mods feel free to pin this if you find it helpful

Edited by ZaZ213
  • Like 2

Would love to see what kind of requirements we can expect for the servers before I go setup a server and tell all my friends to buy this. Affordability is a serious issue.

Been running a Wurm Server locally all night, and found something very interesting.

Map is a 4096 with 50,000 animals

Memory usage has stayed around 1GB (lot lower than I thought would be)

CPU is now significant and is using almost 9% constant of a 4770K (8 thread CPU)

But what's most interesting and also worrying is the Disk access - its now constantly doing 130MB per second access that's a LOT, and will wear out disks pretty quick. Surprised the DB isn't loading it into memory and then only updating the disk every 5 minutes as constantly updating the DB on the disk will really shorten the life of hard drives.

Edited by WUPlayer
  • Like 5

But what's most interesting and also worrying is the Disk access - its now constantly doing 130MB per second access that's a LOT, and will wear out disks pretty quick. Surprised the DB isn't loading it into memory and then only updating the disk every 5 minutes as constantly updating the DB on the disk will really shorten the life of hard drives.

YIKES!

That CANNOT stay like that D:

YIKES!

That CANNOT stay like that D:

Yeah its one to watch. Restarted the server and it was all fine at around 0.3MB/s access but just an hour ago its jumped up to now doing over 30MB/s.

Something is definitely wrong, as at present you really should be restarting servers every few hours to get round this.

Edited by WUPlayer

My server is probably not as active as your but its hovering around 260KB/s. I agree though, DB should be in RAM and then flushed to disk every few minutes, thats retarded.

how do you find this out? by the way it seems like servers run really well can't even notice it on my computer but would love to get the real stats

Edited by drummerboyas157

Java version: 1.8.0_60 x64

Server Options:

Mobs: 100k

Size: 8k

Server: 

CPU: e3-1270 V3 4 cores assigned to VM (i have it split up with Citrix Xenserver)

RAM: 32GB DDR3 ECC (18GB assigned to VM 10Gb assigned to Wurm)

HDD Type: SSD 256GB Samsung 840 Pro

Uplink Port Speed: 1GB

Performance

CPU: ~27%

RAM: ~3.5Gb

IO: ~160MB/s

4096 map

60k creatures

10-20 players on average

Dual Intel Xeon L5630 2.13 GHZ Quad Core (8 cores)/12 MB Cache 2% average/8% spikes

32 GB DDR3 5.2GB average, 7GB spikes

240 GB SSD RAID mirrored, 250,000-300,000B/sec server up 3 hours currently, has been up 8 (been restarting to tweak things) thats 0.3MB/sec

I have never seen it get over around 120KB/sec and I monitor it pretty close...

Server is also running IIS included in these monitored stats. AND WINBLOWS>

An idea for guys with full access to their boxes would be to redirect the Database folder to a ramdrive and use a cronjob (or similar functionality in windows) to copy those back to disk every few minutes or so.

Heres the questions, are you guys that are having this problem all on linux boxes for your server? Cause I am not having these issues on Winblows, perhaps it is an error with the linux build (could help the devs solve it).

Heres the questions, are you guys that are having this problem all on linux boxes for your server? Cause I am not having these issues on Winblows, perhaps it is an error with the linux build (could help the devs solve it).

Its Windows where I am running it. Only seems to occur after 6+ hours of running, rough guess is there is some tidy up process that has got an issue and it gets stuck, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't cause servers to crash after 24+ hours.

Ramdisk is possibly the best way round it as MacrosBlackD says, but that will just alleviate the hard disk wear, won't really fix the issue.

No, I'm having the same issue on a Windows setup, although I don't hate myself enough to run a Windows dedicated server.

HAHA see I am the opposite, because I am MCSA and was a server admin for a big company for years.

No issues gameplay wise, just weird to see 6 hours worth of ~32MB/s.

708938b727.png

With 50k creatures, 70-190 ish players online on a 4096x4096 map it runs really smoothly. Running on an Intel Xeon E3 1245 v2, 32gb RAM and 3x SSDs (RAID 1).

aI9fHDA.png

oVKpuAI.png

8hj8HR6.png

We've been seeing some pretty big disk throughput too. It's fine for a few hours but once it starts it won't stop until the server is rebooted. Doesn't seem to have much of an effect on gameplay though. I hate to think how much faster the SSDs are wearing out.

7RlHAJK.png

Edit: After investigating further, the problem occurs when the server attempts to save the protected tiles every 4 hours. It doesn't reset the timer, so after 4 hours of run time it just continuously writes the protected tiles file to disk over and over.

Edited by Jonneh
  • Like 4

Yeah, seeing the same thing, non-stop 30+MB/s writing to disk for hours and hours on end. Not ideal. This kind of needs a priority fix.

• Like 1

Thanks for the fix!!

I have not experience with Java.

I've found server.class, but not server.java

Where can I find it?

Java version: 1.8.0_60 x64

Server Options:

Mobs: 100k

Size: 8k

Server: 

CPU: e3-1270 V3 4 cores assigned to VM (i have it split up with Citrix Xenserver)

RAM: 32GB DDR3 ECC (18GB assigned to VM 10Gb assigned to Wurm)

HDD Type: SSD 256GB Samsung 840 Pro

Uplink Port Speed: 1GB

Performance

CPU: ~27%

RAM: ~3.5Gb

IO: ~160MB/s

After last update

CPU usage has gone down to 17-20%

and IO down to 1.0MB/s

Memory Holding still around 3GB

Huge improvement on IO

• Like 2

After last update

CPU usage has gone down to 17-20%

and IO down to 1.0MB/s

Memory Holding still around 3GB

Huge improvement on IO

How many players on average do you have?

Using a $7/month VPS from OVH with 2 virtual cores and 2gb of RAM.

1 User Online

10,000 mobs

Default creative map (so 2048x2048?)

5-8% CPU

25-30% RAM

Not sure about IOs, never looked into how to see that on linux.

I will update this once I can get some more people online to test it, but these numbers are really encouraging.

Edited by FlakAttack

Using a $7/month VPS from OVH with 2 virtual cores and 2gb of RAM, I have one user online and I'm getting:

5-8% CPU

25-30% RAM

Not sure about IOs, never looked into how to see that on linux.

I will update this once I can get some more people online to test it, but these numbers are really encouraging.

Please add map size and mob numbers off your Server. Without those its impossible to compare different servers or figure out which kind of VPS has to be ordered to get a certain setup running well.

Edited by Bekador