Sign in to follow this  
Kodos

Running Server behind a router

Are there any ports that need to be opened/forwarded on my router to allow the Wurm Server to work with people both on internal and external network?

To work on your LAN(internal) you won't need to open/forward any ports. You can set the ports in the server manager console of WU and then open the ports on your router/forward them to your server.

Yeah.

8766 TCP/UDP
Required for general Steam communication.
27016-27030 UDP
Required for Steam queries. This allows the server browsers to see your server through Steam.
3724 TCP
The Wurm Unlimited server communicates with clients on this port. (This port may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)
7220, 7221 TCP
These are ports used for RMI and intra-server communication. (These ports may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)

Per: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_%28Wurm_Unlimited%29

• Like 1

I have all of these ports open and my server still doesn't show in list. What am I missing?

running a software firewall?   May need to allow ports thru it to the actual computer also.. 

Yeah.

8766 TCP/UDP

Required for general Steam communication.

27016-27030 UDP

Required for Steam queries. This allows the server browsers to see your server through Steam.

3724 TCP

The Wurm Unlimited server communicates with clients on this port. (This port may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)

7220, 7221 TCP

These are ports used for RMI and intra-server communication. (These ports may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)

Per: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_%28Wurm_Unlimited%29

7220, 7221 TCP Warning: Do not under any circumstances open these ports to external access. These are ports used for RMI and intra-server communication. These must be open on the local machine but should NOT be publicly available. They bind to the Local IP address. (These ports may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)      

7220, 7221 TCP Warning: Do not under any circumstances open these ports to external access. These are ports used for RMI and intra-server communication. These must be open on the local machine but should NOT be publicly available. They bind to the Local IP address. (These ports may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)      

and what exactly does that mean?  internal external?  if you have to set them up to be used.

well i had them enabled on my router turned them off and it still works.....do these allow other people to connect or what?

Edited by Uberknot

and what exactly does that mean?  internal external?  if you have to set them up to be used.

well i had them enabled on my router turned them off and it still works.....do these allow other people to connect or what?

Sorry, SysAdmin (take things for granted).

Local means to a specific device or network.

External means another network-external device can reach or communicate to a 'local network device'.

Think of your router/firewall as a gateway.

On the public (wild side) external side -- you want to allow specific traffic.

On the internal network (local) -- you want to allow specific traffic.

Not all networks block/filter internal network traffic so most likely 7220 and 7221 do not apply to you. Are you linking servers together?

Sorry, SysAdmin (take things for granted).

Local means to a specific device or network.

External means another network-external device can reach or communicate to a 'local network device'.

Think of your router/firewall as a gateway.

On the public (wild side) external side -- you want to allow specific traffic.

On the internal network (local) -- you want to allow specific traffic.

Not all networks block/filter internal network traffic so most likely 7220 and 7221 do not apply to you. Are you linking servers together?

No I just have one router hooked to a modem.  I used the firewall to add a internal port rule for those on windows firewall just in case.

The problem everyone is having with this is that the game doesn't understand when it's behind a NAT... the programmer organized the "External Server Address" and "Internal Server Address" designations improperly.
If you try to run a cluster behind a NAT you will always fail... you have absolutely no way to inform players of your real IP address on the external (WAN) side of a NAT.
The game needs to be changed to bind to the internal server address and ignore anything in the external server address field, or do name resolution (for people running with dynamic IPs) on the external address field.

Sure you do, in your server neighbors tab.

1 hour ago, MetaPhaze said:

The problem everyone is having with this is that the game doesn't understand when it's behind a NAT... the programmer organized the "External Server Address" and "Internal Server Address" designations improperly.
If you try to run a cluster behind a NAT you will always fail... you have absolutely no way to inform players of your real IP address on the external (WAN) side of a NAT.
The game needs to be changed to bind to the internal server address and ignore anything in the external server address field, or do name resolution (for people running with dynamic IPs) on the external address field.

You can grab my "bind to all interfaces" mod from here:

That's pretty much what it does, minus DNS resolution.