Sign in to follow this  
InositoL

Ore generation question?

Just a question regarding the maps, the ones that will be shipped with the game and player made maps.

Will the ore be generated when the server first starts or will they need to be pre-generated?

as if they are pre-generated everyone will know where all the good ore is located on the shipped maps, and if people are kind enough to share their favorite map,

would be nice to have the option to randomize the ore locations on start.

Just a question regarding the maps, the ones that will be shipped with the game and player made maps.

Will the ore be generated when the server first starts or will they need to be pre-generated?

as if they are pre-generated everyone will know where all the good ore is located on the shipped maps, and if people are kind enough to share their favorite map,

would be nice to have the option to randomize the ore locations on start.

I haven't been able to test it yet since its not out, but I imagine if you replace the map_cave.map file with another one of the same size that you generated using the map generator in the tools section that would probably work to change the distribution.

Well worst-case scenario you can use transmutation rods from a trader and have any ore you want in any spot you want they cost 50s each but you can spawn in money so i guess that would not be any trouble. Also the GM accounts i am sure can make a tile any ore too.

If you don't want to use cheats then i guess you are stuck with getting what you get like always. I have told myself if it was something that i would have bought in the online game then i will let myself spawn it in.

Edited by Kegan

I read somewhere that you can just delete the cave file and the server will auto generate another random one. So essentially every server, thou the same height map could have different ore distributions.

Edited by ausimus
  • Like 1

Hopefully the server will generate it on start, otherwise just have to get the map generator to do it.

guess we will have to wait until the game comes out in 18 hours.

I read somewhere that you can just delete the cave file and the server will auto generate another random one. So essentially every server, thou the same height map could have different ore distributions.

This is what was said in IRC by the testers. I assume it will generate on the first loading of the map.

I was also told that you can generate a map using the Map Generator, set the cave seed to your liking, then copy and paste the "map_cave.map" file over the one for the other map, and it will use the newly generated one. Assuming you use the same map size :P

Edited by Nicrolis

Judging by the time I've spent messing with Wgenerator for making server maps, the cave.map is populated with ores before server startup.

This does mean that the ore distribution, and type is set by that file.

For those of us planning to use our own maps it's not a problem, since we can adjust our settings and just swap out the old cave.map file when we generate a new one.

I'm not certain if the server will generate a cave.map file if one isn't found actually, but that's something we'll have to wait until tomorrow before testing.

This was stated by Keenan (one of the Wurm developers) here:  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132377-wgenerator-wurm-unlimited-map-generator/?p=1361365

"... you *can* just delete map_cave.map and the server will create a new one with it's own ore distribution."

He is testing to see which of the .map files are required and which will be generated by the game if they're missing.

Edited by Ricowan
  • Like 1

Sweet thanks for the answer, should make the ore distribution easy and random.

also hopefully allow us to share maps easily in the future.  :D  

On 10/21/2015 at 9:08 AM, Ricowan said:

This was stated by Keenan (one of the Wurm developers) here:  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132377-wgenerator-wurm-unlimited-map-generator/?p=1361365

"... you *can* just delete map_cave.map and the server will create a new one with it's own ore distribution."

He is testing to see which of the .map files are required and which will be generated by the game if they're missing.

I've done this but now it looks like the ore tiles are like rock only 50hits and the vein is gone....

The problem is that the resource amount in veins is stored in resources.map

You can try to delete that and it will be regenerated, making all ore veins get a random amount in 0-9999 range assigned to them.

But it also stores some data for the surface, including farming counts for fields, ql for minedoors, dig counts to lower clay tiles, etc. I don't know how badly will stuff break if it's regenerated in an existing world... but you could always try out :P