Sign in to follow this  
Malena

POLL: We might get a new horse color - which one would you like to see? (see below for pics!)

New horse colors!  

347 members have voted

1. 1. If you could add only 1 new horse color into the game, which one would it be? (see below for pics!)

• #1 Champagne / Cream
    • #2 White Buckskin
    • #3 Gold Buckskin
    • #4 Dapple Grey
    • #5 Jet Black
    • #6 Chestnut
    • #7 Piebald Pinto
    • #8 Skewbald Pinto
    • #9 Leopard Appaloosa
    • #10 Blanket Appaloosa
    • #11 Grey Silver
    • #12 Black Silver
    • #13 Blood Bay
  2. 2. If a few new colors were added to the game, how would you like them to spawn?

• Can be bred / offspring has normal chance of inherting color
    • Can be bred / offspring has rare chance of inherting color
    • Can be bred / Requires 60+ animal husbandry to succeed - if under 60, gives message explaining the horse's lack of trust
    • Cannot be bred / Color comes as a rare mutation from breeding any horse color
    • Cannot be bred / Is born with 5-Speed traits / Only spawn as wild horses

We've been patiently waiting for the new horse skins to be fully implemented and since Christmas is here and we'll soon be advancing to a new year, I thought it would be nice to finally share how the skins look. (besides anyone could technically test them out, as the graphic files are already in our build anyhow)

So as not to compleeetely forget this topic, how would you all like a little sneaky peak? :-) 

Blood Bay

Spoiler

BloodBay.jpg a

Ebony/Jet Black

Spoiler

EbonyBlack.jpg

Piebald Pinto

Spoiler

PiebaldPinto.jpg

Five Shades of Grey

Spoiler

GreyShades.jpg

A herd of horses

• Like 6

I've been thinking for quite a while that they needed more traditional horse types instead of just plain colors, because most horses you see aren't just plain colors. lol

While I agree with the Blood Bay pick, and the Piebald, I do not agree with the Ebony Black.  Total waste.  I know it was your "choice" and that was your favorite, but you kinda screwed the rest of the community on that one. lol  Just my two cents.  The other two they picked were solid though!

My top picks would have been:

1. Piebald Pinto
  2. Blood Bay
  3. Gold Buckskin or Black-Silver
Edited by Slickshot

7 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

While I agree with the Blood Bay pick, and the Piebald, I do not agree with the Ebony Black.  Total waste.  I know it was your "choice" and that was your favorite, but you kinda screwed the rest of the community on that one. lol  Just my two cents.  The other two they picked were solid though!

I think you're being a little bit unfair. Your comment would have more validity if the ebony black would have among the least voted colors, but if you look at the current results, it's literally the #3 choice if you consider the two pintos identical other than color. So I'll have to disagree about "screwing the rest of the community".

votes.jpg

Something I'd like to point out:

• I offered to make some skins for free.
  • I was told I could.
  • I personally offered to set up a poll. I was not asked to, nor was it suggested to me. So at the end of the day, I could have pretty much gone ahead and made any kinds of skins I'd have liked without anyone batting an eye. But I wanted to also consider what you guys would like as well and thus set this poll up. This was not any official poll by the developers, instead merely a fan of the game offering to do some skins for free and just curious to see what others would like. I am not a developer of the game, I owe the community nothing at all. 
  • After seeing the most popular choices, I based my decision on three things: the popularity factor, the practicality factor and lastly my own wants as well. The devs were absolutely fine with my choices and there was no negotiations on which colors to do.
  • I then went to work putting all the love and effort I could into modifying the existing skin to accommodate the chosen colors. Wasn't paid by anyone, instead spent a considerable amount of my personal time to offer them for free.

So we could either have the scenario of continuing with the same old colors, or else getting 3 new bonus colors as a "gift" from a fan of the game. And I'm told I'm screwing the community over as thanks for that. *shakes head in disappointment* 

• Like 5

Chill Malena, was just my opinion.  Plus I've seen a couple mentions of the Ebony Black being a poor choice.  I agreed with that opinion, and thus I have my same opinion.  Not personally attacking you.

43 minutes ago, Malena said:

I think you're being a little bit unfair. Your comment would have more validity if the ebony black would have among the least voted colors, but if you look at the current results, it's literally the #3 choice if you consider the two pintos identical other than color. So I'll have to disagree about "screwing the rest of the community".

votes.jpg

Something I'd like to point out:

• I offered to make some skins for free.
  • I was told I could.
  • I personally offered to set up a poll. I was not asked to, nor was it suggested to me. So at the end of the day, I could have pretty much gone ahead and made any kinds of skins I'd have liked without anyone batting an eye. But I wanted to also consider what you guys would like as well and thus set this poll up. This was not any official poll by the developers, instead merely a fan of the game offering to do some skins for free and just curious to see what others would like. I am not a developer of the game, I owe the community nothing at all. 
  • After seeing the most popular choices, I based my decision on three things: the popularity factor, the practicality factor and lastly my own wants as well. The devs were absolutely fine with my choices and there was no negotiations on which colors to do.
  • I then went to work putting all the love and effort I could into modifying the existing skin to accommodate the chosen colors. Wasn't paid by anyone, instead spent a considerable amount of my personal time to offer them for free.

So we could either have the scenario of continuing with the same old colors, or else getting 3 new bonus colors as a "gift" from a fan of the game. And I'm told I'm screwing the community over as thanks for that. *shakes head in disappointment* 

In my opinion your reasoning was sound and extremely fair. Unfortunately this game has more then it's fair share of impolite and self-centered people who never learned proper manners or respect for the work of others.

It also doesn't escape my memory that at the time of you providing your choices to the developers you also shared what had happened and how you came about to make the choices that you did.

Thank-you for the gift of your personal time and abilities to the Wurm community. I am certain that I am not alone in saying thank-you to you personally for what you have accomplished!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Chill Malena, was just my opinion.  Plus I've seen a couple mentions of the Ebony Black being a poor choice.  I agreed with that opinion, and thus I have my same opinion.  Not personally attacking you.

It's kinda rude how you said it Slickshot to be honest. Anyways great work Malena don't let the negative feedback get to you. :)

11 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Oh I welcome all opinions Slick. It's not what you said, but how you said it. If you'd have said you didn't like the black one and a few others had agreed (and yes I also remember these comments and can certainly understand the viewpoint), fair enough. But for you to outright claim that I've screwed over the entire Wurm community when the numbers clearly prove differently is pretty harsh.

And of course you are allowed to have your reaction and opinion and voice them my friend. Just as I have my mine and equally allowed to do the same. Agreed? 

9 minutes ago, Niki said:

It's kinda rude how you said it Slickshot to be honest. Anyways great work Malena don't let the negative feedback get to you. :)

Thanks for the words of support Niki. Most of the time I don't and I don't mind negative feedback if it's presented in an objective and fair manner. But I guess this time I couldn't help feeling bad because I've been aching, just aching to share these screenies with you guys knowing how much everyone is looking forward to new colors. But update after update we fail to see them yet. And to think this all started last March! With the skins finally getting the OK in October. And so when I finally show them for the first time, it just felt like such a slap in the face to be told that I've let the Wurm community down when all I ever wanted was to give something to the community. Admittedly, I'm only human. :-)

• Like 1

Wonderful colors, and great job!

Thanks for your efforts Melina.  :)

One thing i don´t understand is why only one, and why even wait that long....

I mean..... its just a Texture.... can´t be hard to make couple new Horse-skins.

But i think i will never understand Wurm Online, simply Textures taking Years to get ingame.

Edited by Caduryn
  • Like 1

They all look great, Malena! Thank you for your hard work to better the Wurmiverse. Now if only we can get that switch flipped so we can start breeding the new colors!

Edited by Araninke

Really looking forward to these.  :)  Thanks for all your work on it Malena.

I love the three choices being added sometime in the future; would love to see them all eventually :P

Great job!!

Wow, time for me to get new horses! :D Thank you, Malena, they look great! 

17 hours ago, Caduryn said:

One thing i don´t understand is why only one, and why even wait that long....

I mean..... its just a Texture.... can´t be hard to make couple new Horse-skins.

But i think i will never understand Wurm Online, simply Textures taking Years to get ingame.

Originally there was only going to be one more, but Rolf was nice enough to allow us three new skins after all. Nice is the word to use because the game has limitations in regards to how many textures it can have before it starts to badly affect performance, thus - every single texture we add to the game has to be carefully considered: "Is this asset worth spending texture space on?" And seeing as the horse textures are quite big (512x512), for Rolf to allow us 3 more colors that would reserve space from the total texture upper limit is very generous! 

Again, as I've said before - making textures is not challenging nor hard to do. It's the texture limitations and performance which are the problem.

17 hours ago, Araninke said:

They all look great, Malena! Thank you for your hard work to better the Wurmiverse. Now if only we can get that switch flipped so we can start breeding the new colors!

Oh I know! I can barely wait! :) (and thanks for the supportive words)

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm words of support everyone. I didn't mean to grovel for a pat on the back or anything. Sometimes it's just good to "clarify" the reality of the situation to people who say hurtful things without fully comprehending the bigger picture. ;-)

Have a great Christmas everyone. Let's hope we see the new colors soon! :-)

• Like 1

On 22/12/2015 at 9:56 AM, Slickshot said:

Tbh, I like the ebony black the most followed by the blood bay and 2 types of Pinto. So, not all people dislike the Black, hence not a poor choice at all :) Great choice, Malena!

• Like 1

I love these new horse colours, just wish they were going to be a bit harder to obtain rather than just a normal chance, should be some incentive past 50 ah to gain more skill, the other traits are pretty useless 

• Like 2

I like all of the new designs, thank you Malena. And I am shure the black one will have a lot of fans since it looks dark and a lot of player want to look dangerous ;-). I for myself like the shire horse design very much as it is one of the horses that i like in the real world too. And the black one could be a Frisian which is also a beautiful breed. 

• Like 1

I want all of those you showed in the picture tbh! Great work, love it :D

• Like 1