jdfskitz@SkitzTop:~$ lsb_release -a 

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Description: Ubuntu 15.10

Release: 15.10

Codename: wily

let me fix that... lol

lsb_release -a 

LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch:security-4.0-amd64:security-4.0-noarch:security-4.1-amd64:security-4.1-noarch

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Description: Ubuntu 15.10

Release: 15.10

Codename: wily

Edited by Jdfskitz

Well I just added the Linux stuff to our beta packages (should only be accessible to those who got keys from us before WU release so not public yet).
Had the Linux stuff in our dev packages before that, so fewer people who could test it. But it was enough to run into a couple issues when it was not started on my dev machine, unable to find our libs and so on.

I have personally only tested with Ubuntu 14.04 so far (both 32 and 64 bit).

Will see if I can get it up and running on another distro as well, and hopefully some other team members get around to testing it as well.

I don't like friday releases, if something goes horribly wrong I have to work weekend, so I generally avoid them.

So Thursday then ....  :D

And thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Edited by phreekbird

There is no hurry. A carefull guy will wait some weeks after the launch day and observe how the linux port will be received.

Well I just added the Linux stuff to our beta packages (should only be accessible to those who got keys from us before WU release so not public yet).

Had the Linux stuff in our dev packages before that, so fewer people who could test it. But it was enough to run into a couple issues when it was not started on my dev machine, unable to find our libs and so on.

I have personally only tested with Ubuntu 14.04 so far (both 32 and 64 bit).

Will see if I can get it up and running on another distro as well, and hopefully some other team members get around to testing it as well.

I don't like friday releases, if something goes horribly wrong I have to work weekend, so I generally avoid them.

Very good news, there is no rush, just my wife will kill me with her mining issues on WU until I can help her out :P

Ok so Linux packages are sort of public now. 

It can be downloaded in full if you swap to the beta branch on Linux.

The beta branches are named: 
beta_branch for the Wurm Unlimited Client
and beta for the dedicated server. 

I have not however flagged the game as available on Linux, so the store should not say that it is. 
I have tested it with a regular account so that I know it's possible to download it all without beta keys or dev access. 

If you don't swap to the beta branch you wont be able to start it, only the files shared with the windows release will be downloaded. 

They also contains parts of the next patch for WU, so not 100 % sure of exactly what is in it right now.

If you run in to any problems with it let me know, and hopefully I will be able to get things sorted.  :D

• Like 5

Ok so Linux packages are sort of public now. [...] I have not however flagged the game as available on Linux, so the store should not say that it is.

So... huh?

So... huh?

If you own the game you can download the Linux packages, but the store front should not be officially announcing Linux support yet. 

• Like 1

While ErikN working on client - in Tools section there is available custom launcher, native libraries can be replaced by hands. Only problem left  - steam libs - but them as i know work good under wine. 

Anyone tried to launch custom launcher (jar file) and to set linux JVM to be used??

if they can somehow connect with each other - all will be working gooood)))

Bad but supposed to work way is using windows jvm and custom launcher - it could work well))

Edited by masaykh
  • Like 1

My only problem is I have it running very choppy outside of any resolution other than 1024 x 768 and it has to be fullscreen, luckily everything in the game is resizeable though.

strange, wine for opengl use almost direct passthrough of opengl calls so i think something strange happening.
you got too high cpu usage?

or you checked that this gpu usage? 

Well everything runs fine with graphics all the way up in everything while the resolution is at 1024 x 768 however. if I turn the graphics down with the resolution up at 1920 x 1080 (or anything other than 1024 x 768) it causes the same choppiness. No speed increases whatsoever.

(However at 1024 x 768 in the advanced options the shading and lighting still are heavy but, thats called for)

I'm running a radeon HD 6800, 12 GB DDR3, 6 Core CPU 3.2 GHZ. 

I'm also running dual screen which may be part of the culprit. When it's set to Full Screen it also turns off my second monitor. If it's in windowed mode or fullscreen windowed, regardless of resolution it has that same choppiness.

I'm running to the store. I'll check my CPU and GPU usage when I come back.

Edited by Jdfskitz

Working great so far.  Averaging 60 fps at 1920x1080.  No issues encountered thus far.

Working just fine on Mint 17 (KDE), not noticed any FPS difference from the WO client really, playing in windowed resizeable as is my habit and it's fine.

CPU and Memory are running at about 30%

Ubuntu Studio 15.10 BTW

hmm. apparently my GPU load is at 97% I wonder why

Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)

Current Clocks :    775           1000

Current Peak :    775           1000

Configurable Peak Range : [600-850]     [1000-1200]

GPU load :    91%

Default Adapter - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series  

Sensor 0: Temperature - 68.00 C

Some Minor Modifications... running aticonfig --initial and changing it to performance primarily in the settings for the video card. (catalyst control center) it's working now after a reboot