Sign in to follow this  
Elktazahjr

WU in ubuntu?

I went back to Linux, so I hope this becomes a reality soon. Its really sad that a java-based game, designed in java because of its ability to be coded once and run anywhere is now on Steam and Windows only due to their limitations on distribution through said deployment system. You really should have went with a launcher like Mojang.

Much fails on your part. Shame on you Code Club.

I'm pretty sure Rolf started coding Wurm in Java because that was the language he was learning at the time and he hasn't felt like recoding everything into anything else.  The multi-platformness was just a side benefit.

And that code once run anywhere thing is more theory than absolute practice, especially with more complex programs.

I'm pretty sure Rolf started coding Wurm in Java because that was the language he was learning at the time and he hasn't felt like recoding everything into anything else.  The multi-platformness was just a side benefit.

And that code once run anywhere thing is more theory than absolute practice, especially with more complex programs.

Actually, that is why he chose it. I have been in the Wurm community since before the Freedom Isles, and I remember reading an interview with him that stated Java was chosen just for that reason (and he had experience in Java helped the choice).

Why they didn't go with their own launcher like Mojang did with Minecraft is beyond me, Steam was probably an easier, faster solution.

Hey ErikN, Saroman, any chance we can get like a weekly update on the Linux Client progress?

Hey ErikN, Saroman, any chance we can get like a weekly update on the Linux Client progress?

What he said.

I expect the first Linux port is still steam-based from what I read around, but I really hope to see a WU launcher, non-steam, multi-platform, available from wurm shop.

I'm not a developer. but I'm beginning to see progress trying to get it to run from wine in steam.

it's clearly a java issue. however they managed to already bypass the client problem. which is an issue with the wine menucontrol exe.

I'm still working on a wine fix for it.

http://pastebin.com/875aXCRt

I got past that annoying initial error.. a whole bunch of java errors.. now I'm here.

I don't know where to start :)

I've found the farthest I've gotten is by getting the x64 Steam version of Wine (in PlayOnLinux) creating a separate virtual drive of course and then installing steam in it.

Running under windows xp with an emulated desktop in OpenGL with the video memory size pre-determined. and then rebooting the system through the configuration menu.

and adding read and write access to everything within the virtual drive

chmod 777 */*

...getting a new java error..

http://pastebin.com/ei0sURrQ

Edited by Jdfskitz

Anything, any updates ... crickets?

Well I hit a minor snag with the IDE I was using on Linux, it kept refusing to index/parse steam and java headers so it signaled all files with errors, I got fed up with it and swapped to using a different one had to do some speedy learning of CMake to get it going. 

Before that the Manage server button did not work, but it should now, at least to some degree. 
If steam has been installed using packages and not built from source or anything like that then it should work I think. 

Will be pushing things up for internal testing either today or tomorrow. 
So that we hopefully can find and fix any initial issues, after that it's either a beta~ish public release or full release depending on how things goes, and what I manage to figure out from steams settings (I know how to release it all, just not how to make Linux beta when the game is released on Windows already).

• Like 3

Well I hit a minor snag with the IDE I was using on Linux, it kept refusing to index/parse steam and java headers so it signaled all files with errors, I got fed up with it and swapped to using a different one had to do some speedy learning of CMake to get it going. 

Before that the Manage server button did not work, but it should now, at least to some degree. 

If steam has been installed using packages and not built from source or anything like that then it should work I think. 

Will be pushing things up for internal testing either today or tomorrow. 

So that we hopefully can find and fix any initial issues, after that it's either a beta~ish public release or full release depending on how things goes, and what I manage to figure out from steams settings (I know how to release it all, just not how to make Linux beta when the game is released on Windows already).

Awesome dude, thank you for the update. If you decide to go beta route and need testers ... just ping me.

idk. all I know is I'm completely fine running a buggy version of the game, as long as it works. lol.

Thanks for the update!

oh, and that's why I use sublime and compile things manually ;)

CodeBlocks, Eclipse, MSVS always cause problems for me. and the time to take to figure out whats wrong and why it isn't linking, why it wont allow me to link.. Not worth it.

Edited by Jdfskitz

Oh, and perhaps make a Linux Release branch. and just don't put anything up directly on the full release, just on a separate Beta Branch? or just release it as the full version so essentially all linux users are on a public beta.

Oh, and perhaps make a Linux Release branch. and just don't put anything up directly on the full release, just on a separate Beta Branch? or just release it as the full version so essentially all linux users are on a public beta.

I like this idea, or a separate branch.

I'm running myself on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, and more than happy to betatest if needed.

Kubuntu 15.10 64-bit here.  I'd be happy to test as well.  I purchased the Windows version knowing I would likely not be able to run it on Wine with the hopes that it would help push the Linux client along.  Thanks for the work being done on this client!

Kubuntu 15.10 64-bit here.  I'd be happy to test as well.  I purchased the Windows version knowing I would likely not be able to run it on Wine with the hopes that it would help push the Linux client along.  Thanks for the work being done on this client!

Linux Mint 17 here, I don't remember if 32 or 64 bit, nor do I know how to find it out. Mint is an ubuntu derivative.

@www ... from a console

$ uname -a
Linux genesis 4.2.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 8 15:35:06 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Edited by T3465

This  says 32 bit linux

Linux hptorni 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:31:42 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

thanks T3465

@jdfskitz ... if you would like to confirm

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:co
re-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch:security-4.0-amd64:security-4.0-noarch:security-4.
1-amd64:security-4.1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 15.10
Release:        15.10
Codename:       wily

Sounds like we'd have a nice test bed ;)