Sign in to follow this  
RaDaMa

Need some help with hosting a tiny personal server

I would like to play Wurm Unlimited in solo mode, on a tiny server all by myself (understood from previous thread that minimum map size is 1,024x1,024 (probably not more than 256x256 land mass with no more than 1,000 creatures or so), but this can artificially be shrinked by having lots of water surrounding the central area) so it should really not require much hosting resources, but problem is that I don't really have the hardware or technical knowledge to do this at home.

So, since I heard there will be some people who plan to host biggish servers anyway, maybe there is someone out there who could squeeze my little server on their hosting machines so I can play too both from home and from work (think they can just assign me a different port, so no need for different IP or anything like that) and with a tiny map and one player only the consumed resources should probably be really low.

And if anyone willing to help with that, how much would you charge me for this? :)

Alternatively, do you think there will be games hosting companies who might offer this as a normal public service, just like there are for minecraft, life is feudal, 7 days to die and other "similar" games?

Edited by RaDaMa

The idea of hosting it locally has a few disadvantages:

1. Can't connect from work for example.

2. Since it will not be up during my offline times, things like crops, trees or animal growing will just not happen.

3. Extra pressure on my local computer's resources, obviously affecting client's performance.

why not leave computer up and server running?  But seems you have answered your own question. If you want game to be available to you always and not on your computer you will have to buy server hosting.

why not leave computer up and server running?  But seems you have answered your own question. If you want game to be available to you always and not on your computer you will have to buy server hosting.

1. Well, first of all I'm behind a firewall, so couldn't connect from work/school, even if I would leave it open.

2. Considering the prices I saw on other sites for small (1-5 people) servers - for example this one for LIF: https://www.plugpayplay.com/services/gameservers/lifeisfeudal , I highly suspect that just paying the electricity bill for a non-stop open computer might cost me more.

3. That not counting that the computer itself would get used and risk breaking down, it will slow me down while doing other things and so on. :)

1. Well, first of all I'm behind a firewall, so couldn't connect from work/school, even if I would leave it open.

2. Considering the prices I saw on other sites for small (1-5 people) servers - for example this one for LIF: https://www.plugpayplay.com/services/gameservers/lifeisfeudal , I highly suspect that just paying the electricity bill for a non-stop open computer might cost me more.

3. That not counting that the computer itself would get used and risk breaking down, it will slow me down while doing other things and so on. :)

I have ran servers before and it really wasnt noticeable on the electric bill. second you could just shut it down if you know you are not playing. the firewall is something you could work around

Edited by drummerboyas157

I have my computers on all the time.  I did run a minecraft server for my son for a bit and had no issues with it slowing down my stuff.  The wear and tear on hardware is nothing. Computers just get old. They get outdated usually before the hardware goes poof from my experiences.  (I have 5 towers in my home btw and laptops)

there are 3 options.

1: host on own computer leave running (work around firewalls and such)

2: pay for server hosting

3: join another person server or play the main ones ( not your personal)

These are the only options I see

Wait till the game releases and then make your decisions.  Hard to know what to do till we know for sure what we can do.

Edited by Lolabelle
  • Like 1

I don't know what to tell you.

there are 3 options.

1: host on own computer leave running (work around firewalls and such)

2: pay for server hosting

3: join another person server or play the main ones ( not your personal)

These are the only options I see

Yeah, basically what I was trying to achieve here was "2" from your list :)

I first searched for game hosting companies that announced hosting WU servers (and found none; even mailed a few I knew from LIF or 7DTD and asked them if they plan to offer that and they said they don't know yet) since CC didn't announced any partener one.

And when I saw that I can't find any, I thought on asking over here, maybe someone who is hosting a big server can squeeze my tiny one on the same physical machine (shouldn't eat many resources and since they will install their own server guess it wouldn't be a real hassle to just install one more) and charge me some money (hopefully not much) for that.

Edited by RaDaMa

Is your electric that expensive? How much are you offering for a host like this?

Is your electric that expensive? How much are you offering for a host like this?

Well, I thought a fair price would be in line with how much it costs for a hosted server of other similar game, and I took as example the LIF recommended hosting providers (list from here: http://lifeisfeudal.com/Hosting-Partners-for-LiFYO-Dedicated-Servers) since I assume consumed resources would be about the same.

- Blue Fang is offering 16 slots server for $14.99 / month

- Black Box is offering 20 slots server for $19.99 / month

- Ping Perfect is offering 32 slots server for £10.00 / month

- Kill Servers is offering 20 slots server for $20.00 / month

- Nitrando is offering 4 slots server for â‚¬4.00 / month

- Plug Pay Play is offering 8 slots server for Â£3.04 / month

(7DTD, minecraft and other similar servers have about same price ranges - at about $1 or 1€ / slot at most - actually most of these games hosting providers offer similar services for tons of other games).

So, based on these prices, for a tiny server like I want, with only one player (or well, let's say a maximum of 5 slots just to be on the safe side), I would find anything in the range of $5-$10 / month to be a fair price.

Edited by RaDaMa

If you don't mind setting it up yourself you can probably get a way with a VPS.

That is what I am planning and I'm sure it will work fine. It is easier if you know how use SSH and Linux.

The provider I am using is pretty cheap and has a datacenter in Lithuania, start out with a small server, you can upgrade it in a few minutes if it turns out to be too small.

Ah yes, link is http://www.time4vps.eu/

You will probably need to install java8 and steamCMD on the server yourself.

If you don't mind setting it up yourself you can probably get a way with a VPS.

That is what I am planning and I'm sure it will work fine. It is easier if you know how use SSH and Linux.

The provider I am using is pretty cheap and has a datacenter in Lithuania, start out with a small server, you can upgrade it in a few minutes if it turns out to be too small.

Ah yes, link is http://www.time4vps.eu/

You will probably need to install java8 and steamCMD on the server yourself.

Unfortunately my IT knowledge stops somewhere at clicking "next, next, next" - lol. :(

Here's some advice for someone who has zero experience with a VPS.  I'm assuming WU will use steamCMD in this explanation.

1. Selecting a server:  I would try to find a server that is physically located near you to minimize latency.  Since you are only looking to host for yourself, any server with 4 GB of RAM and a basic Intel Xeon processor will be fine (see Warlander's post in your other thread).  I would recommend choosing Ubuntu 14.04 for the Linux distribution.  This is a selection you make yourself when purchasing a VPS. SteamCMD works very well with it, and since most tutorials are written for this version, it may save you a lot of trouble to stick with it from the get go. 

2. Accessing server:  Server access is easily done via SSH, which is basically remote accessing the server with a console line(visually similar to command prompt in windows). You will be given a server IP and password from the hosting company that you use in an SSH client (i.e. Putty) on your machine to access the server. 

3. Setting up steamCMD:  After logging in via SSH, you'll be able to follow tutorials to properly setup users, create steam directory, download CMD files, unzip files, install files, download and install specific game servers, open game ports, run game servers, edit config files, etc.  Many of this can be done with direct copy/paste from tutorials.

Even if WU doesn't use steamCMD, it will follow a similar process to get it running that I would expect to have tutorials posted soon after release.

Thank you for the guide, but I still hope that, eventually, someone might assist with this... renting such a small VPS should be in my budget and I'm totally up for it... and if is not such a big deal, I hope that eventually, once they're done with their stuff and have some spare time, someone whom I may give the password to, might do those scary commands for me. :)

You are not the only one in this position. I'd suggest that any server guys who are familiar with this stuff set themselves up a gig on Fiverr to do the VPS setup and then post that gig here. Bound to get a few orders :-) I have a VPS for work, but I don't do any of the setup. Support that does for me! But I don't think that extends to setting up game servers for me heh.

I agree.  I'd pay someone to "admin" the server.  Just migrate from my local server save files to Blue Fang, set it up and get it going.

Me also

Geting a hosted linux server I can do myself, but I need someone to set up WU on it with my custom map, and instructions on how to set game options. Happy to pay for set-up

Edited by zMole

If it's just for your self just host it from your pc

I've been trying all day to figure out how to do that. It's exactly what I want to do - host it on my own pc and just for me. I can't find any tutorials or help about setting up the server. Any help is appreciated.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMDsMxfuIU

Edited by yarnevk