Sign in to follow this  
RaDaMa

Three questions about solo/local server

1. Do you have any idea if for playing solo on the local computer, one needs to:

a] start two separate executables (one being the "server" and one being the "client" and eventually map a certain port on the local ip to the server, which would eventually allow the server to keep running in background even when not connected to it and allow other people from the local network to connect);

b] start just a single executable and just "load"/"save" the world (in a way similar to most single player games out there);

c] have both options and allow us to pick the one that better suits our needs (as LiF for example has both the "create a world" from the game itself, but also the option to run the separate server software).

2. I've read that the default maps would be 2048x2048 (think that's also the size of deli/exo/cele/pri/rel), but that's obviously way too much (and would probably require way too many resources) for a single player. Is there any way that one can use (way) smaller maps (maybe 512x512 or even smaller) which would be much more suited for that? If yes, can you please point me to any place where I could find such custom made maps?

3. About what kind of minimum system configuration one should have for running and playing the game locally?

I see that the Steam page mentions minimum configuration of:

• Processor: 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 DUO or equivalent AMD CPU 
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM 
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 4xx , Radeon HD 5xxx 
  • Hard Drive: 3000 MB available space 
  • Additional Notes: Java Version 8

However, is not clear if that is enough to run (at minimum settings) the client only (as in have to connect to a remote server) or both?

Edited by RaDaMa

1. You have both options, but I personally think that a) is best - keeping server and client separated is more safe than having both running in one instance.

2. Minimal supported map size is 1024X1024, but you can artificially shrink them by surrounding them with a lot of water. You can find a lot of custom maps and tool to make them in WU tools section on this forum.

3. You mean together with server? This depends a lot on what kind of server do you want to have, but I think that most laptops with i3 CPU's and 3 gb or more of RAM should be able to be both (very small) server and client.

• Like 2

3. You mean together with server? This depends a lot on what kind of server do you want to have, but I think that most laptops with i3 CPU's and 3 gb or more of RAM should be able to be both (very small) server and client.

Thank you big time for your answers; now have one more. :)

My current computer (desktop) has this configuration:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8 GHz

- 4 GB RAM

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 (1GB memroy, 128 bits)

- Windows 10, 64 bits

Think this could work out for playing the game locally (so both the client and the server), of course at minimum settings for client and a very small server (1024x1024 as you said that's the bare minimum with 80% of land filled with water and one player only) or should I better wait buying the game 'till I manage to upgrade my computer?

Edited by RaDaMa

Hmm... Sure, it should handle that as long as you don't create a lot of garbage and/or store it in BSB's.

• Like 1

Hmm... Sure, it should handle that as long as you don't create a lot of garbage and/or store it in BSB's.

Thanks! Love ya!

The fact that you can host separately brings up another question for me.  Say that I want to host the server on my laptop, but play on my PC.  Do I need to purchase two copies for this?  Because that would be a serious oversight issue for me.

I do not think so.  There is a separate dedicated server you can run.  The same one you would use on a hosted server if you did that.

Is the dedicated server not Steam DRM so that do not have to buy the game twice to use a local dedicated server different than client?

I was logging in to ask this exact question. Have had trouble in the past with this on other games.

Either:

A: Playing on Same Computer as Server - Requires 2 instances of the game to be open and the 2nd gets denied

or

B: Playing on separate Computer as Server - Shutting down Steam shuts down the server, so computer 2 can't connect because steam is open on Computer 1

Been a big issue for other steam games I've tried to host locally with just 1 steam account.

Steam can be online on more than one computer,

I have it on ky main pc, and a server, was needed to have a a LiF:YO deicated server. Though the dedicated server did not have to have steam logged in to run, just to update.

Dedicated servers for steam games do not require Steam at all to run.  The only part that needs a steam account is the download of the dedicated server files, which can be downloaded on your game machine and then copied to the server, or using various other means to download.  SteamCmd allows you to download server updates directly on the server without having steam installed, for example.  The server files are part of your purchase of the client, it's not a separate game in your library and doesn't require steam to run.

Not all games are made equal in the steam universe. 

Some servers do require Steam connection and some consider opening the game and the server (yes even when the server is under TOOLS > XXXX Server), on the same machine, to be two of the same instance and 2nd attempt is denied. I can name two different games that require this, but that's Steam logic for you.

If the Devs have this figured out and know it works then that's all I was asking for. We will find out in 17 hours....

Is the dedicated server not Steam DRM so that do not have to buy the game twice to use a local dedicated server different than client?

In your Steam client go to "Library" -> "Tools". There is where you find most dedicated server software, "Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server" is listed there and free for download.

Is this not the same as 'Use dedicated server' checkbox, steam did download something when I checked it.  I want to make sure the server is not steam DRM is the only way to download it directly and start it outside the server launcher?