Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

MapViewer v1.3.3 (Updated Nov 20 2016)

hello keenan :)

i am sure this is a great tool, but it dont start if i doubleclick the jar file :/

"File 'C:\...\top_layer.map' is too large to load into memory. Please use 64-bit java, increase your heap space, or load a smaller map"

Similar problem as in WGenerator. I understand that not loading entire map file into memory is very complicated in java.

hello keenan :)

i am sure this is a great tool, but it dont start if i doubleclick the jar file :/

I just double-checked, and it works for me. I know I built it was a runnable jar, so you might need to check to make sure Java is in your PATH. Open a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd.exe) and type PATH. Look to see Java is there.

"File 'C:\...\top_layer.map' is too large to load into memory. Please use 64-bit java, increase your heap space, or load a smaller map"

Similar problem as in WGenerator. I understand that not loading entire map file into memory is very complicated in java.

Yeah, I had to put the warning in because otherwise it would just hang and crash. I'm researching ways that I can more easily handle the java heap. 

You can always do:

java -Xmx6g MapViewer-1.2.0.jar

Replace the "6g" with a proper value for your system's memory. 

Nice tool, great work.

Any chance there could be some commandline parameters put in somehow? I'd like to make a simple batch script to dump the map to a cloud-share location every day, so that everyone can see the latest state of the map. I think a lot of people could make use of that, since the ingame map is pretty bad.

Awesome program!

A few suggestions if I may:

* Remember in a cfg/ini file the last directory where you open the map. I don't know how many people use the program to dump dozens of different maps each day vs how many do it for the mining nodes, I am with the latter, always opening only one directory

* Any way to zoom in and keep it centered on the cursor? To make it clearer: currently when zooming in, the view re-centers itself on the center of the map, then it takes time to find for instance my own village. It would be better it I could put the cursor on my village then turn the mousewheel to zoom, and it would stay focused on the village. Just like you kept it centered when I refresh the map or change the view type.

Keep up the good work!

Nice tool, great work.

Any chance there could be some commandline parameters put in somehow? I'd like to make a simple batch script to dump the map to a cloud-share location every day, so that everyone can see the latest state of the map. I think a lot of people could make use of that, since the ingame map is pretty bad.

I have a question about the dirt layer, rock depth, etc.

When a certain tiles says -10 rock layer what does that mean? Is it a certain corner on each tile? Or is that an average since every corner could and probably will be different?

Thanks! Love this tool! :)

• Like 1

One other question, is there someway to make a grid appear on the map. In other words see the lines between the tiles?

On 11/12/2015, 8:01:15, conmcb25 said:

I have a question about the dirt layer, rock depth, etc.

When a certain tiles says -10 rock layer what does that mean? Is it a certain corner on each tile? Or is that an average since every corner could and probably will be different?

Thanks! Love this tool! :)

I'm fairly certain that it's the height of the actual tile. Slopes are the difference between to tiles, and the slope you see is rendered to reflect that difference. 

On 11/23/2015, 11:42:21, conmcb25 said:

One other question, is there someway to make a grid appear on the map. In other words see the lines between the tiles?

Not at this time, it's a feature I'd like to implement, but I've been somewhat distracted :)

It is indeed the NW corner of the tile that is indicated. It took a little experimentation but I figured it out :)

I have to say this works awesome, Since I am the owner of Dr. Pox's world and allow my players access to the maps files with updated files every couple of weeks.  It has been helping deed owners on finding those elusive ores :)

11 hours ago, Uberknot said:

Zoom in should zoom in where im pointing.

On 7/11/2015 at 5:43 AM, neofit said:

* Any way to zoom in and keep it centered on the cursor?

Fallout 4 and/or Just Cause 3 are in the way I suppose ;).

• Like 1

On 4/8/2016 at 5:51 PM, Elsa said:

How do i get grinds on it`?

Doesn't support grids yet. 

On 10/13/2016 at 10:16 AM, Elsa said:

How do i so it shows deeds?

I don't tap into the database yet. It's a future plan, but honestly time is a little tight these days.

I didn't update this thread, but I did update MapViewer with some user contributions as well as a few things I had been working on.

Maven, CI, etc.

I'm in the process of refactoring/rewriting large chunks of it. The end result will be a jar that can be used headless via command line as well as launched into a GUI mode.

Awesome, looking forward to headless mode, as I am sure many of us are running on dedicated nix machines :D

Can't wait!

I forgot to mention that I rolled back 1.3.3. I've not had the time to get back to this (again) but hope to after the holidays.

• Like 2

Hey boss.  Finally left the warm comfort of the Steam forums looking for things to add to my new class coming in Spring.  Used Budda's map generator to create a couple of test maps and your map viewer has made navigating / testing those maps so much easier.  (Did not find a way to get Budda's program to add rock, so I was having to fly around and manually add rock tiles to certain ore locations.  I could, after spending many hours randomly trying to match up the images from the map generator with the game world, now find the exact coordinates of an ore's location, move there and place a bunch of rock.)

I am now thinking of adding the "make your own map and scenario" as part of the class, possibly as an assignment / project.  So I wanted to double check and see if I had your permission to use your program in my class.  Fair use probably covers just lectures, but I tend to be more interested in getting permission from people when I showcase / use their work : )

Was there an update for this mod somewhere, to eliminate the black patches where the newer pavement and plant types are?  We have large black patches, still.

EDIT:  I found it, here: 

Edited by Batta

thank you so much. Out of curiosity, will we ever see an in-game press 'M' map that shows our current topology? Or even a chance that the graphics.jar file that the default maps  reside in will become more accessable and moddable for placing your own map in game for use?

how do you get a 3d map view? I can load the map_cave file ok and see the ore and topography maps etc but I cant find how to get a ingame style view. I have tried loading all the other different map files but they all just give me a black screen after the rendering message goes away

Load the map folder up and on the right you will see tabs for Terrain(1), Topo(2), Cave(3). If you hit 1, 2, or 3 it will take you to those views. There is also a 4... check the View menu up top and it should say at the bottom of the list Isometric 3D(4), I think this is what you are looking for.