Sign in to follow this  
Belfesar

Making Black Dye broken?

For the last month i have been trying to make enough good ql black to paint a large cart (8,8,8)
 and something is off with the black dye process.

The problem starts with actualy being able to find high ql acorns, Botanizing for them is completly random even at higher skill.

I ground my skill to 57 Botanizing and still dont get consistent higher ql acorns, For approx every 30 actions i will get 1-2 - 70-80ql acorns and approx every 80 actions i will find a 90+ql acorn all Botanizing actions were within oak groves.

Anyway i started attempting to make black dye at 59 Nat subs, I used:

40 - 74ql acorns.

30 - 82ql acorns

10 - 92ql acorns

Results after going through them was 2kg 91ql 8,8,8 Black Dye.

Tried again at 63 Nat subs using:

38 - 73ql

15 - 80ql

16 - 91ql

Results were zero high ql Black dye.

So i bought 1k teeth and 1k glands and spent 4+ hours running through them yesterday to get my Nat subs up to 68 and tried again using:

45 - 71ql

25 - 83ql

12 - 94ql

Results, zero high ql black dye and for me the tanning results were worse and more random on the higher ql acorns.

I am sure you can see my frustration when it can take anywhere from 6-16 hours over a 2-3 days period to collect enough acorns for an attempt only to fail miserably.

So what am i missing? Is there a point when making Black dye that the results become reliable?

Edited by Belfesar

nope, this is how black dye is.

not even that great tbh, most things dont function correctly with it, looking like a darker wash than black paint

Black dye is just generally broken. This is 83ql black dye on a wall and a boat.

cYNbXAN.jpguDEhZKF.jpg

the process for making black dye is so tedious, you get so much scrap from it because it needs to be almost an exact amount of iron+tannin to combine. Even with high ql iron and 70 skill, it mostly depends on the acorns/ql of tannin.

Yeah this is normal, i do similar things in wurm also. Black is just hard.

I'd love if they actually made it darker and more black instead of a grey-wash

Edited by Niki

Black has always been a hard color to create, the RNG always works against you.  As to appearance, both black and white have the same issue.  Rather than show as a color, they just make things brighter or darker, not painted white or black.

As for the Black Dye not showing the colour correctly, Disable the Glsl shader support as this interferes with the colour of dyes.

Also i can understand Black Dye being difficult to create but there is somthing off with the process, The 3 Black dye sessions i did are not the only attempts i have made at this, I have been trying to get a decent quantity of black for a far longer period.

There is a lot of difficult processes in wurm but this seems like the mechanics or the coding for it are wonky.

We have items that add RGB, now we need items to remove it.

I have been advised not to bother with black - or blue, which is purple, for that matter - until the whole dye / paint stuff has been reworked by the devs.  However, when that will be, is anyone's guess.

Below is a couple of screenshots of a painted timber framed wall, The dye is 13,13,13.

With Glsl

vXHHdrw.jpg

Without Glsl

LNnRigo.jpg

Edited by Belfesar

Glsl?

In your settings in the compatibility settings there is an option called GLSL shader support, Default setting is "Core", Disable it to see the difference.

Interesting. That will be helpful in making it so I can enjoy my own creations though I feel like it may still prompt some comments of "So why is that building tinted slightly black/white?"

Disabling GLSL has a disadvantage.  It does give you stronger colors that are more opaque colors than clear colors, but you will not be able to see the rarity glow from items.  We need a fix on colors so we can see the colors better, and still see the rarity glow.

Bumping this thread in the hopes a Dev will see this post and have a serious look into how ridiculously broken the process of Black dye making is, From Botanizing to mixing the dye.

I have spent many months trying to acquire enough 90ql Black to paint a large cart and the problems start at botanizing the acorns, I am currently 66 Botanizing skill (solely through collecting acorns ^^) and the Ql of the acorns is still very random, Out of approx every 100 collected 10% will be above 70ql give or take. For this current run it took over a month of Botanizing every two days for 4-5 hours in two separate large oak groves. A total of 258 acorns was used for this current test. At the time of mixing the dye my Natural substances skill was 70.

Test results below:

148 - 74QL Acorns

5kg's - 70+QL

2kq's - 80+QL

0kg's- 90+QL

30 Direct fails to mix the dye.

73 - 84QL Acorns

4kg's 70+QL

1kg - 80+QL

1kg - 90+QL

11 Direct fails to mix the dye.

37 - 94ql

2kg's - 70+QL

2kg's 80+QL

0kg's - 90+QL

9 Direct fails to mix the dye.

As you can see that is over a months worth of Botanizing wasted, I understand making Black dye difficult to create but something is not right with the whole process and needs looking into, In total I have spent approx 4-5 months collecting acorns and mixing Black dye with the same results. In all that time I have only managed to make a total of 5kg's of 92QL Black (8,8,8) dye. Please fix.

Edited by Belfesar
  • Like 1

Decided to run another test with the Acorns closer to my skill level to see if it made any difference.

170 - 65QL

2kg's - 90+QL

2kg's - 80QL

3kg's - 70QL

36 Direct fails to mix the dye.

Results speak for themselves......

huh... apparently i read this thread before the bump, but i don't recall ever reading it. anyways, This would be nice to have fixed.