Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

Well, I have a map made, and it is loaded... Winter here as well.. But I do not get my custom map to show in game.  It is actually showing the Online map o.0

Well, I have a map made, and it is loaded... Winter here as well.. But I do not get my custom map to show in game.  It is actually showing the Online map o.0

The map thing is client side. Only way to fix it supposedly is adding your map png to the packs.

• Like 1

Rudie, would you mind giving a  short explanation of what exactly one would have to do to get his custom map shown ingame, instead of the online server map?

I added the map file to the corresponding .jar following overlord's advice from http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132692-has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-show-your-map-in-game/?p=1363781 , but still i only get the online server's map to show up, not my own :(

Before i forget, thanks a lot for all the work all of you put into this project, though it's a bit of work to get a good map together, this tool is simply awesome :D

• Like 2

Its in \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs

Open graphics.jar with winrar or something similar.

The maps are in the folder 'gui'

I had to change freedom.png in my world.

In other words, you have to modify the client graphics file and replace it with a dump of the map you made.

This will, however, make it so your change can be seen regardless of what server you join.

This also implies that other people who join your server will not be able to see the map change you made unless you share your 2 gigabyte modified graphics.jar file with them.

As far as I know, there currently is no feature support for getting custom maps to show up in game on the Server side.

Is it possible to import heightmaps to generate a map? I have some old heightmaps from an MMO called Asheron's Call that would be fun to create a map for. 

http://imgur.com/a/jR5sr

cool looking map, i think it needs alot of work tho cause the starting height map had to be converted in l3dt, so its kindof blocky and jagged i just threw some bioms on it to see what it would look like :) ill definitely play around with it more, is that the only height map you have of it?

VLH9m2b.png

• Like 1

Looks like you used an 8b grayscale for height rather than 16b grayscale - be careful with paint programs some will load 16b but save as 8b and bottleneck your result.   Maybe the terrain editor you use has a 8b to 16b interpolator that can smooth and noise up all those step cliffs that 8b results in, but that will be a tremendous loss of detail to start with since each cliff step will be 256 dirt high.  Imagine minecraft with 25.6 meter tall blocks, that is what it will look like on the ground.  You cannot visually see it in the map source because monitors can only show 2^8 shades of gray, not 2^16 shades.  You can barely see it in the dump map with the cliff shadow lines, but you will most certainly see it with your game avatar.

Edited by yarnevk

I've forked a version of WGenerator:

Releases can be found here: https://github.com/nmusser/WGenerator/releases

Forum post is here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132972-wgenerator-with-heightmap-load-from-file-support/

A quick overview:

• I converted the panel layout to a tab layout
  • Added Load Heightmap from file support
  • Added notification sound when actions finish
  • Added Reload Water button to quickly adjust the height of the water without redropping dirt

If you notice any bugs or have any feature requests please post them through github or the respective forum post!

definitely learning a lot about grey scales :P but its the original heightmap its 8 bit, dunno how to improve it yet but i did convert it to 16 bit in PS

I'll post this here aswell.

Anyone's ore generation spawning all at less than 100? 

im not 100% sure, but i think the Auxdata for the ore vein MIGHT be how much is in it. I have not tested this.

Here's my heightmap painted in photoshop

3pIDZ4F.jpg

Suggestion

What about a "BiomeMap" importer/exporter ?  :D  Each biome with a color/value(height). only for biomass, the trees generation continues as it is.

I do not know if this is possible, just an idea

uLbI8TA.jpg

• Like 4

I found a bug with the way that dirt/rock tiles are set. Basically it allows players to dig on some rock tiles that are next to dirt tiles.

The problem is with the updateAPIMap function in WGenerator.java. It does not set the 4 tiles around the vertice to dirt/grass when processing the type of tile.

The fix for this requires doing three passes when setting the surface tiles:
The first sets everything rock.
The second places 4 dirt tiles around each dirt vertex (set all 9 vertices to dirt to tell wurm to not allow digging on any tile on the dirt border)

The third places bushes and trees so they don't get painted over by the dirt

This is the fixed code

private void updateAPIMap() {		MapData map = getAPI().getMapData();		Random treeRand = new Random(System.currentTimeMillis());				for (int i = 0; i < heightMap.getMapSize(); i++) {			for (int j = 0; j < heightMap.getMapSize(); j++) {				map.setSurfaceHeight(i, j, tileMap.getSurfaceHeight(i, j));				map.setRockHeight(i, j, tileMap.getRockHeight(i, j));								if (tileMap.hasOres())					map.setCaveTile(i, j, tileMap.getOreType(i, j), tileMap.getOreCount(i, j));								map.setSurfaceTile(i, j, Tile.TILE_ROCK);			}		}		for (int i = 0; i < heightMap.getMapSize(); i++) {			for (int j = 0; j < heightMap.getMapSize(); j++) {				if(tileMap.getType(i, j) != Tile.TILE_ROCK && !tileMap.getType(i, j).isTree() && !tileMap.getType(i, j).isBush()){					for(int x = i - 1; x < i + 1; x++)						for(int y = j - 1; y < j + 1; y++)							if(x > 0 && y > 0 && x < heightMap.getMapSize() && y <heightMap.getMapSize())								map.setSurfaceTile(x, y, tileMap.getType(i, j));				}				}		}		for (int i = 0; i < heightMap.getMapSize(); i++) {			for (int j = 0; j < heightMap.getMapSize(); j++) {				if (tileMap.getType(i, j).isTree())					map.setTree(i, j, tileMap.getType(i, j).getTreeType((byte) 0), 							FoliageAge.values()[treeRand.nextInt(FoliageAge.values().length)], GrowthTreeStage.MEDIUM);				else if (tileMap.getType(i, j).isBush())					map.setBush(i, j, tileMap.getType(i, j).getBushType((byte) 0), 							FoliageAge.values()[treeRand.nextInt(FoliageAge.values().length)], GrowthTreeStage.MEDIUM);			}		}	}
Edited by blayze
  • Like 1

@Blayze: This also happens when flattening areas using focus zones on rock, I think it's more of a code issue in Wurm itself, not just one in Wgenerator itself.

But fixing it in the map during generation would be desirable as well.

What about a "BiomeMap" importer/exporter ?   :D  Each biome with a color/value(height). only for biomass, the trees generation continues as it is.

this was already done see AK_  code here

https://github.com/aekazakov/WurmMapUploader

Uses 24b color PNG, with the dumpmap color palette expanded to cover bushes, trees and flowers and also does an ore map.  See the readme for the color values to use.

This is not exactly the same as what you drew which is a splat map.  Splat maps are used in systems that can blend the terrain and flora types on one tile, Wurm engine is incapable of that so it is inefficient to spend on color layer per tile/flora type. It is also nowhere near intuitive as using a color palette to color your biomes.

Edited by yarnevk

@Blayze: This also happens when flattening areas using focus zones on rock, I think it's more of a code issue in Wurm itself, not just one in Wgenerator itself.

But fixing it in the map during generation would be desirable as well.

The flatten focus zone probably just has the same issue where the outline of the focus zone isn't checked to see if it should be rock or dirt. I don't think its necessarily a problem game engine its self, just that feature.

Edited by blayze
  • Like 1

Uses 24b color PNG, with the dumpmap color palette expanded to cover bushes, trees and flowers and also does an ore map.  See the readme for the color values to use.

This is not exactly the same as what you drew which is a splat map.  Splat maps are used in systems that can blend the terrain and flora types on one tile, Wurm engine is incapable of that so it is inefficient to spend on color layer per tile/flora type. It is also nowhere near intuitive as using a color palette to color your biomes.

Thank you.

I was using the version posted here with only heightmap import support. Good to know we can have more control :D

You keep posting this everywhere.

It's "not already done" because it's not GUI. Not everyone who want's to make their own map, knows how to command-line.

It would also be great if this developer added a sample-data.png which has a Pixel Color Legend for each biome and ore type available.

In short, yes, this program is nice --- but make it quicker to use please.

I'm working on bringing the palette functionality to WGenerator as well as enhancing some of its features. I really want to combine the WurmMapUploaders features into WGenerator and this particular piece is on my list of things to accomplish over the next few days. Unless somebody beats me to it keep an eye on my fork and I'll post back here whenever I get it finished!

• Like 1

Suggestion

What about a "BiomeMap" importer/exporter ?   :D  Each biome with a color/value(height). only for biomass, the trees generation continues as it is.

That would be awesome.  I could use the various generators to World Machine to place resources less randomly and more on logical constructs (such as sand from beaches and riverbeds, etc).

I'm working on bringing the palette functionality to WGenerator as well as enhancing some of its features. I really want to combine the WurmMapUploaders features into WGenerator and this particular piece is on my list of things to accomplish over the next few days. Unless somebody beats me to it keep an eye on my fork and I'll post back here whenever I get it finished!

Which is why I kept posting it so others would notice it and reuse the code, AK_ stopped working on it as it was sufficient for his private use even though many others will find it very useful.  It opens up to other paint and terrain generators to be used with a standard PNG handoff for both height and biomes.   Someone else already posted a GIMP color palette to use, not sure if they updated it to his latest version, but the RGB values are in the readme so it would be easily to cut/paste the numbers into any paint tools palette. 

Edited by yarnevk

I've made mention of this on IRC, but should post it here.

I'm planning to expand WGenerator and make it more modular, i.e. bringing dirt dropping to it's own interface, biomes to their own interface etc etc. This will let anyone who has been working on their own custom algorithms to easily add their classes implementing these interfaces to the main github source, and will let users choose which algorithm to use for each step in the process.

Other changes, like your loading heightmap and adjusting water height, Ahiri - feel free to put up a PR and we'll merge it into the main WGenerator repo. Those things were on my to-do list, just hadn't got around to them yet.

• Like 4

created map working fine but

issue is creating a starter town keep getting use were i cant please a trader or merchant on this server

Edited by damine