Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

Still, would like to see Worldpainter-like features in future version so you can make terrain with specific features, not just random one.

OK I need some help.  I think I might not be doing something right... so I can generate heightmaps just fine - I see a variety of black and white images for various map shapes (see below).  However, that's as far as I can get.  The erosion and the dropping of dirt seems to do nothing.  I set various values on those categories and then click "Drop Dirt", "Erode Heightmap", etc and it takes a good 30 seconds, but nothing happens. The image remains at black and white and I have no idea what I'm looking at.  Is the image supposed to change to reflect the amount of dirt dropped, biomes created, etc?  In other words, once I generate a heightmap, nothing else I seem to do makes any noticeable difference to the map on the screen.  It's still like the one below - am I missing something?  Also - I would assume that the light gray areas in this image would be under water, but again I can't tell.

Thanks in advance.

nhltLWl.jpg

Edited by Kruggan

Wow, res of 1k will make land to the corners. 20 iterations will make it very bumpy. 500 water will cover some of the land but still...

Just go with the default settings at first. Do the Get Height map. Then Drop Dirt. Wait for the dirt button to come back 'up'. It will be dark until it's done. Then you can erode. But after it gets done eroding all you will see is the Height Map. You have to click on Show Map View at the bottom to see the map again. That's probably where you are having a problem.  ;)

Wow, res of 1k will make land to the corners. 20 iterations will make it very bumpy. 500 water will cover some of the land but still...

Just go with the default settings at first. Do the Get Height map. Then Drop Dirt. Wait for the dirt button to come back 'up'. It will be dark until it's done. Then you can erode. But after it gets done eroding all you will see is the Height Map. You have to click on Show Map View at the bottom to see the map again. That's probably where you are having a problem.  ;)

Ok trying that now - thanks and stand by...

Well, I don't know what to say. It works for me and 11 of my friends. I know that doesn't help you. Maybe try downloading the most recent version that Budda put up recently?

I had the same problem as Kruggan, it was because I had placed the Wgenerator.jar file in my Program Files directory and it did not have write access there when it tried to save files. I changed the Start in directory on my Wgenerator shortcut to C:\ProgramData\Wgenerator and it worked.

• Like 2

After reading further I realized my issue was Java 32 bit edition.  With the 64 bit edition it runs great and here's my first creation!  I have to say it was a lot of fun generating it - especially when I figured out how to do sand on the edges of land to form beaches - it was a good feeling. 

One other question I have before I try and import this to play on it - any tips on making a more flat map overall?  I'd assume making the max height something shorter and changing something with erosion?

So thanks for the help!

Here's my first creation (2048 size).  I'm looking forward to testing it in game and seeing what needs tweaked.  

7eBdIOE.jpg

Edited by Kruggan
  • Like 3

Hey uh, Budda.

Any chance you can make the 'random seed' buttons randomise the entire number?

Also... what is Erosion actually doing?

Edited by Tyroki

Ok having an issue with this as well...I open the program, leave everything as it defaults, I click gen heightmap, I click erode, I click drop dirt..all I see is the grayscale map. I try get heightmap, drop dirt...I can see the map now...click errode and it goes back to grayscale. In either case if I click show map view at the bottom I can not see the map only the grayscale version.

Also I initially attempted to make a larger map and it hung like it was attempting to use too much memory. I waited for the button to come back up to show it completed but still couldnt do anything. So I tried to do as Budda suggested and change the amount of memory being used and I get this error:

Error occured during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for 2097152KB object heap

Thank you Explora, that ended up being my issue as well. Everything is working correctly now. Had to move it to another directory.

Edited by Krieden

I tried installing java 64bit like Kruggan did but no change i can only see the heighmap/greyscale like the others here

After reading further I realized my issue was Java 32 bit edition.  With the 64 bit edition it runs great and here's my first creation!  I have to say it was a lot of fun generating it - especially when I figured out how to do sand on the edges of land to form beaches - it was a good feeling. 

One other question I have before I try and import this to play on it - any tips on making a more flat map overall?  I'd assume making the max height something shorter and changing something with erosion?

So thanks for the help!

Here's my first creation (2048 size).  I'm looking forward to testing it in game and seeing what needs tweaked.  

The wurm dedicated server stops responding after I try changing the map files over?

So has anyone been successful in using the smaller maps in WU yet?

Ok. I am having a lot of trouble getting my custom maps to load in my server.

I have 2 fresh maps that appear in the server list quite happily: http://prntscr.com/8u8wif

When I select any of the maps, the server console shows:

Oct 23, 2015 10:04:54 AM com.wurmonline.server.DbConnector closeAll
INFO: Starting to close all Database Connections.
INFO: Finished closing all Database Connections.
Oct 23, 2015 10:04:54 AM com.wurmonline.server.Constants load
INFO: Loading configuration file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\commo
n\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\Sajaria-2\wurm.ini
Meshsize=11
Loading servers
Oct 23, 2015 10:04:54 AM com.wurmonline.server.Servers loadAllServers
INFO: Loading all servers.
INFO: Loading New Creative Server - 2824
INFO: Using database entry for time 36700
Oct 23, 2015 10:04:54 AM com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller calcRest
INFO: Current polltile=589996, rest=554394 pollmodifier=25385, pollround=1
INFO: tiles=4194304, mask=-1 ticksperday=3456000, Nthick=1, rest=554394, manyper
tick=true
INFO: Loaded 2 servers from the database

the line: INFO: Loaded 2 servers from the database

appears every time I change the map to Adventure, Creative, or either of mine (even though there are 4 servers in the list {original 2 maps, plus my 2 custom} - is this an issue?)

Adventure and Creative will both load happily with no problems at all - I can log in, do my thing etc.

Selecting either of my 2 maps however... I click the Start Server button and Server just freezes. sits for a minute or so, then server GUI shows (Not Responding) in title bar,and I have to close the server software.

Both custom maps are 2048

Both created in Buddha's WGenerator program.

Any help would be most gratefully accepted.

Thankyou

I'm also having the same problem as Milso.  I can't load my custom map - stuck on Loading Servers...

When I went to load a 4096 indy size map it said loading servers and it didn't load. Then one time I said, ok, give it more time. So that was it. It just needed more time to load. Also, when I used the older version of Budda's nothing loaded cuz the map maker was bugged. He fixed it so I downloaded his latest version and then loaded my maps into it and saved them from the new version. They worked perfect.

So, make sure you got the latest version of the map maker. Load your maps into it with the LOAD ACTIONS. Wait for the map maker to get them all done. Could take some time. WHen it's done save it all. Then load your maps into the game. It should work ok. 

Alright, well I'll explain what worked for me in case it can help anyone~

STEP 1: Navigate to your WU directory or dedicated server directory. (\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher) or (\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server) by default.

STEP 2: Copy and the "Adventure" folder and paste it to make a new server folder ("Adventure" seems to work best?). (\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\Adventure - Copy) or (\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\Adventure - Copy).

STEP 3: Rename this folder to match your server (or what ever you want). For example: "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\MYSERVER" or "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\MYSERVER". "MYSERVER" being anything you want it to be.

STEP 4: Copy your custom map files into your new server folder- they should overwrite the old ones. For reference the files you need are "flags.map", "map_cave.map", "resources.map", "rock_layer.map", and "top_layer.map"

STEP 5: In your server folder navigate to the folder "sqlite".

STEP 6: In the "sqlite" folder find and execute "rebuild-dbs.bat"; when prompted to continue in the command window, type "y" and press enter- wait until it finishes and states to "press any key to continue".

STEP 7: Start WU or the dedicated server. If starting WU go to "Manage server"

STEP 8: In the "Manage server" menu select your new server from the drop down menu on the top.

Untitled_zpsaxxanzup.png

STEP 9: Edit your server settings and start your server

STEP 10: Hope it works?

Use Xeon's method ^

Ok. I am having a lot of trouble getting my custom maps to load in my server.

I have 2 fresh maps that appear in the server list quite happily: http://prntscr.com/8u8wif

When I select any of the maps, the server console shows:

Oct 23, 2015 10:04:54 AM com.wurmonline.server.Constants load

INFO: Loading configuration file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\commo

n\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\Sajaria-2\wurm.ini

Meshsize=11

Loading servers

INFO: Loading all servers.

INFO: Loading New Creative Server - 2824

INFO: Using database entry for time 36700

INFO: Current polltile=589996, rest=554394 pollmodifier=25385, pollround=1

INFO: tiles=4194304, mask=-1 ticksperday=3456000, Nthick=1, rest=554394, manyper

tick=true

INFO: Loaded 2 servers from the database

the line: INFO: Loaded 2 servers from the database

appears every time I change the map to Adventure, Creative, or either of mine (even though there are 4 servers in the list {original 2 maps, plus my 2 custom} - is this an issue?)

Adventure and Creative will both load happily with no problems at all - I can log in, do my thing etc.

Selecting either of my 2 maps however... I click the Start Server button and Server just freezes. sits for a minute or so, then server GUI shows (Not Responding) in title bar,and I have to close the server software.

Both custom maps are 2048

Both created in Buddha's WGenerator program.

Any help would be most gratefully accepted.

Thankyou

This happened to me also and I was forced to go back and reopen my custom maps in the map generator program and re-save them, then I copied the files over and they worked!!

Oh dear.. added height map importing- needs some work still.

Untitled2_zpsgqg6cyyc.png

Implemented height map importing, but it does has some rather lousy drawbacks:

First is that there are only 765 height steps (RGB channels, 255 + 255 + 255 = 765). I don't know of a better way of deriving height data from an image- if you do please let me know  B)

Other draw back is that it is not very user friendly, and if you do something wrong it will just sit there and not do anything.

I have included the dirt drop fix that was recently added into the program by Budda. I can take it out too if some of you would prefer that  :wub:

I also have not tested this in game, but I would assume it works fine.

If you want to try it out:

JAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8sxvwknqy8oe0l/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2.jar?dl=0

SOURCE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/98qzw8fz03gnrt3/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2.zip?dl=0

how to use it

STEP 1: Make an image. Images need to be square and in Wurm map friendly sizes (1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384) then make sure you save it as .PNG format; if you upload an image that does not meet these requirements it will do nothing.

STEP 2: In the generator change the map size and height to match your desired settings (you have to do this first otherwise import will do nothing).

STEP 3: Click on import and select your image, once you press "okay" it will begin converting it- might take a bit as always.

From there you can treat it just like any other map~

Yay!

Edited by Xeon

So has anyone been successful in using the smaller maps in WU yet?

• Like 1