Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

Still a bit confused on how the seeds work, if i spawn say 5 of size 100, is it garenteed they will show up in the parameters I set, if it doesnt meet a certain parameter does it not spawn anything? For example reeds and kelp are a bit hard to tell if they spawned in since i am setting them at or below water level. 

Might I suggest a mouse over text option to see what is in that location? so when you point at a patch it will pop up and say (sand) etc

Edited by drummerboyas157

Still a bit confused on how the seeds work, if i spawn say 5 of size 100, is it garenteed they will show up in the parameters I set, if it doesnt meet a certain parameter does it not spawn anything?

If you're talking about the biome section, the seeds value is the number of random points that the program will attempt to place the biome at.  If the random point lands within the parameters you set, then it starts spreading out from that point using the rest of the parameters.  So, if you set it to 50, it will attempt to place 50 instances of that biome on the map.  Depending on the parameters, most of those attempts will fail to find a valid spot to place the biome.

It's not doing a traditional "biome map", it's just randomly picking spots to attempt to place tiles in a biome-like pattern.

• Like 1

If you're talking about the biome section, the seeds value is the number of random points that the program will attempt to place the biome at. If the random point lands within the parameters you set, then it starts spreading out from that point using the rest of the parameters. So, if you set it to 50, it will attempt to place 50 instances of that biome on the map. Depending on the parameters, most of those attempts will fail to find a valid spot to place the biome.

It's not doing a traditional "biome map", it's just randomly picking spots to attempt to place tiles in a biome-like pattern.

that makes sense thanks

Keenan has tested them on his WU server - it's pretty simple to get the map in there, just copy and paste over the .map files (and possibly rebuild the database files which is simple to do).

You set the initial spawn point in server settings when you start up the server.

But how do we find out the coordinates of the spawn we want to set? Will there be/Is there a way to see the coordinates of a map? Also thank you for making this tool, it's a great help for people like me who can't into Java.

would it be possible to import a height map  from outside, like a JKH map and tweak it?

Let's say I start playing on map 1 and I make another, map 2, that I would also like to play on. Understanding that I can replace one map with another, if I want to switch back to map 1, will map 1 be as it was when I went to map 2?

I'm having a hard time getting the files to run and everything after I clone the repository. Am I missing a step?

I've just noticed something. If you want to, lets say, close your computer and continue working on a map you're making another day, you basically have to "regenerate" the map using the "Load Actions" options, right?

That's what I did with a map I was working on and the program has been loading for the last 15 minutes. So I looked at the map_actions.txt file to see what's in there. To my surprise, everything is in there. But I mean EVERYTHING, all the Undo actions, all the reset actions etc. Shouldn't it be more logical to instead of adding an "undo" lines, to remove the previous "add" line and in the case of "reset", remove all the previous biomes instead?

The file would keep small and would go much faster when regenerating.

I just tried removing all the unnecessary bits on the map I'm working on and it regenerated in 2 minutes instead of 15 minutes.

*Edit*

And when you "drop dirt" doesn't it reset all the biomes too so shouldn't it do as it does with reset and also remove all the previous "drop dirt"s?

Edited by Sekiryou

I've just noticed something. If you want to, lets say, close your computer and continue working on a map you're making another day, you basically have to "regenerate" the map using the "Load Actions" options, right?

That's what I did with a map I was working on and the program has been loading for the last 15 minutes. So I looked at the map_actions.txt file to see what's in there. To my surprise, everything is in there. But I mean EVERYTHING, all the Undo actions, all the reset actions etc. Shouldn't it be more logical to instead of adding an "undo" lines, to remove the previous "add" line and in the case of "reset", remove all the previous biomes instead?

The file would keep small and would go much faster when regenerating.

I just tried removing all the unnecessary bits on the map I'm working on and it regenerated in 2 minutes instead of 15 minutes.

*Edit*

And when you "drop dirt" doesn't it reset all the biomes too so shouldn't it do as it does with reset and also remove all the previous "drop dirt"s?

Yes, but you can however, remove them all yourself for an easier and quicker load.  Notepad will work to edit that file.

Yes, but you can however, remove them all yourself for an easier and quicker load.  Notepad will work to edit that file.

Yes, I know that. That's what I did, like I said. I was just wondering, logically, shouldn't the program do it itself by default.

Edited by Sekiryou

Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't each numerical place in a seed have a specific effect on the end result? I've seen this and used it to make specific alterations to other randomly generated items in computer games through the years. What does each position in the height map generator change? There are thirteen numbers and each has a different effect on the map. Knowing what each number position affects would go a long way towards people getting the map they want.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Yes, I know that. That's what I did, like I said. I was just wondering, logically, shouldn't the program do it itself by default.

I tried this earlier and it changed my biomes maybe I just delete to many things but I was starting to think the add and undo made it so they showed up how I wanted is that not the case? did your biomes show up the same after removing those lines?

I tried this earlier and it changed my biomes maybe I just delete to many things but I was starting to think the add and undo made it so they showed up how I wanted is that not the case? did your biomes show up the same after removing those lines?

It's still randomly generated. When you load the .txt file, all it does is redo the same exact actions you did with the same parameters. But all these actions are still randomly placed. So the end result will be very similar, according to the parameter you input but different because of the random factor.

It's still randomly generated. When you load the .txt file, all it does is redo the same exact actions you did with the same parameters. But all these actions are still randomly placed. So the end result will be very similar, according to the parameter you input but different because of the random factor.

Yes, someone said something about how the program decides whether or not it can place a particular biome. So if you did the exact same thing twice you may not get the same results with your biomes.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Messed around a bit, definitely getting warmer...

Original map:

map_zpsjzuvgsto.png

WIP Map

map_zpsitv5l4c6.png

:D

• Like 5

what dirt drop settings did you use for that?

yeah pls share the secret with us that looks great :)

The secret is...

writing your own dirt drop settings  ;)

well yeah thought I would have to do that ^^ 

I also need to adjust the tree placement tomorrow, I am not 100% satisfied atm.

The secret is...

writing your own dirt drop settings  ;)

Maybe you can share them with Budda so he can improve his system too once you are done :)

If all the people out there that know how to do these things would work together it would be an even better tool then it is now.  

Edited by Kegan

Maybe you can share them with Budda so he can improve his system too once you are done :)

If all the people out there that know how to do these things would work together it would only make things better for everyone.  

haha, I think Budda would cry if he saw what I did to his code

but if he would like to implement my alternate system of dropping dirt I'd be more than happy to share- if not I could still release my edit so others who favor this style can use it (assuming that's fine with Budda)

• Like 1

Well i am not sure how the dirt is going to be handled in the game anyway i would assume that all the grass and dirt on the high slopes in the planner will slide down once they are live like they do now when you drop dirt.  I just left my map with the tops exposed to all rock. ( i guess i can load it up both ways and see that the difference is in a few days)  

Edited by Kegan

I was able to generate something similar to what he did, but not nearly as nice.  Also, what does the biome seed do to dirt dropping? I set it to 1, screenshotted, set it to 1445282583905, screenshotted, and saw no difference.

I do know that it does stuff for biomes, but in Budda's OP it says it does dirt drop changes too.

If a graphically challenged individual such as myself can do this then anyone can.  :)

Indy sized:

map_zpsabctirwz.jpg