Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

13 hours ago, MsInformative said:

#necromancer

Could Wurm handle a custom map with these dimensions:  965,000 x 965,000 (3,860,000km x 3860,000km)

Even if the program could, there's not enough memory to make it possible.  I seem to recall someone trying to make a 64km x 64km map and saying it was wanting 32GB or more of memory a while back... you would need to have the NSA and Google loan you all their servers together! hehehe

If that 32gb figure is right, you would need roughly 8 million terrabytes of RAM... and maybe a faster processor...

Edited by Kyleshandra
Added numbers

I might do a instruction video later when I have time so check back, right now I'm building a 16384 map at height of 8192 so it takes a while to go threw the process of maps this size.

When I do a video I will show you how to install java, How to work the generator, how to make custom height maps using photo shop and the wurm gen and piece them all together in a solid full map allowing one to have several islands and ocean mass.

I will explain to you and show you what each thing does in the map gen. Be prepared to watch a long video as we walk threw the processes in using the map gen.

Will also explain some issues  I've read in this thread people have had and how to fix them. Some issues I will explain is the flat land mass and why it is flat and how to fix it with the mapgen. Some time tomorrow if and when I got time I will work on this video or videos might cut it into several parts cause this can take few hours making several maps and explaining the process and whats going on.

• Like 1

That would be wonderful Arkonick!  I haven't played at the map thing lately but would love guidance on how to do more than just punch buttons until something happens!  hehehe

• Like 1

I cant drop dirt. I tell it to and i get an error. How do i allocate more memory to it?

This is what i get

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified
    at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
    at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMap(MapData.java:74)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.<init>(MapData.java:40)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.<init>(WurmAPI.java:49)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.create(WurmAPI.java:26)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.getAPI(MainWindow.java:2437)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2480)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2460)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1782)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1504)
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2480)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2460)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1782)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1504)

Edited by VenomFangVV

At the bottom where it says Memory Usage, it says im only using up to 25% of my memory while trying to drop dirt. So memory shouldnt be the issue right?

The maps I generate seem to sometimes make the server freeze on startup, for no apparent reason. This happens to both my local dedicated server I use for testing, and my rented server. Any idea what could be causing this?

If your receiving an error about specified path, remove space(s) from folder name that you have stored the generator in.

How many cores can this use? I have an AMD FX 6300 black and its slow as butts when its dropping dirt on a 8192 hm with 1024 res...

From what i remember its just 1,

Though i do recall another map generator that uses the gpu.

could you please add a way to edit cave.map files so I can remove glimmersteel and adamantite from my map without deleting all my players mines...

for some reason i can't get boimes to apply any reason why this wouldnt happen?

57 minutes ago, MisWigglesworth said:

will there be an update to add in the new ore like Sandstone?

personally I don't see the need, the server generates it.

The option to add new ores is nice if you wan't to customize starting amounts. Otherwise I am on board with ausimus

Same at first I thought Sandstone would be spawning like other ore veins. But, since its more like Salt and absolutely everywhere, meh... don't feel the need.

how to add 3rd party ore to regenerate in you Wgenerator?

Guys I got a Tech from Pingperfect to help me with this issue they put that command in from the shortcut under properties in the target field.  So take that jar file put in on your desktop then right click it properties and put that command in the target field.

"R:\wurm Map Generator\WGenerator.jar" -xmx4096m

This is how they wrote it in hope this helps!  worked like a charm for me!

Edited by Ninjai

Greetings all - finally got motivated to join this forum, mostly to say thanks for this great tool (and, of course, ask questions : )

I teach at a small private University and will be teaching a new class (in the Spring) tracing the "Survival / Crafting" genre, from literature and film, to contemporary computer games.  I have been working on developing this class for about 2 years (odd that, since Wurm Unlimited was released about the same time . . . or not so odd, since Wurm Unlimited is one of the main games I am "showcasing.")  Part of the focus is to help education / communication majors see the potential for using games like this in a classroom environment.  (I could spend a lot of time explaining, but Uncle Billy just spent $2.5 billion to purchase Minecraft for Microsoft, and markets it for $5 a seat in educational / classroom settings, which pretty much makes most of my points - except that I like Wurm Unlimited a lot better.)

Was originally going to use the base creative map, but had some time to "play" over Thanksgiving break.  @Budda, I was a little worried about trying to use your program, as I am *NOT* a coder, but the possibility of creating a small map, tailored to my class was a strong motivator.  I found the program very simple to understand and operate and was able to create two different small (1024) maps for testing in just a couple of hours.  In fact, I would like to actually include this aspect in my class (with your permission - and as long at my IT department does not throw a fit.  They are already less than happy about having to install Steam and *GAMES" on their precious lab computers <LOL> )

So first question is do I have your permission to add your program to my class and have students create projects (using it)?

Second question is to ensure I am not missing something obvious.  Is there a way to add "rock"?  In each of my test maps I had to go in and add all that rock, by hand, using GM "change terrain".  And for some odd reason the "paint terrain" option, using auxdata=4 (which is what I concluded was the setting for rock) seems to do nothing.  It was very tedious and I only added the bare minimum I needed for the map scenario, but it will make mining a little more of a challenge, as there are not obvious large areas of rock visible like there are in the vanilla maps.

Thanks, again for this great program.

• Like 1

Thank you for the project! I used it to generate some maps to play locally back in 2017.

I parallelized (CPU) the height map generation (approx. 10x speed up on my machine with 16 threads). Going to throw in lwjgl and try to get opencl working as a learning exercise next. I also aimed for a 1-click build step: If you're on Windows and have the JDK installed, you can simply download the repo and double click gradlew.bat to have the project build and run. https://github.com/rmbreak/WGenerator

Edited by smacks
  • Like 1

deleted - I figured out what I was doing wrong

EDIT:  Really wishing I hadn't deleted this post, as I am now having the same issue (see below), but can't remember the solution!

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

Can someone please remind me how to add the new map to my server? I did it successfully once before, but now I can't seem to remember what the trick is. What I've done so far is to create the map and generate the correct map files, then copy and paste those into the Creative folder of my WU Dedicated Server folder. This is the same place that they are in the custom map server that IS working correctly. 

There must be a step after this, though, because when I log in to my world, I get only a flat map of bare rock with mobs on top. I recall that I got this exact thing with the first custom world, but then did <insert correct step that I have now forgotten>, and when I logged back in it was all the way it was supposed to be.  

Someone please remind me?  This is what happens when a non-coder plays with the files, I guess.  But I succeeded once and I'd sure love to do so again. 

38 minutes ago, Batta said:

Can someone please remind me how to add the new map to my server? I did it successfully once before, but now I can't seem to remember what the trick is. What I've done so far is to create the map and generate the correct map files, then copy and paste those into the Creative folder of my WU Dedicated Server folder. This is the same place that they are in the custom map server that IS working correctly. 

There must be a step after this, though, because when I log in to my world, I get only a flat map of bare rock with mobs on top. I recall that I got this exact thing with the first custom world, but then did <insert correct step that I have now forgotten>, and when I logged back in it was all the way it was supposed to be.  

Someone please remind me?  This is what happens when a non-coder plays with the files, I guess.  But I succeeded once and I'd sure love to do so again. 

Before running your new map, you must rebuild the databases, this will erase all the databases. Inside your Creative folder there is an sqlite folder, inside that folder you'll find rebuild-dbs.bat, run that before starting your server.

It's perhaps wiser to use a copy of the Creative folder to test new maps, rename it to something else, the launcher should be able to find it under that name, (I have about 5 different servers listed on my launcher tab, as well as the Creative and Adventure options), that leaves the creative and adventure folders as a source for the server files, rather than replacing them.

nm some one beat me

Edited by bigsteve

I replaced the map files with my new ones, then did the rebuild db, then tried to start my server. But it keeps getting hung up and not loading. I keep getting "not responding" messages.  I'm not sure what's different now, but I can no longer get in at all, not even just to flat rock world.

Edited by Batta