Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

Sadly this is unusable on Linux apparently (not sure about Windows) with the latest build. The field to enter the Size of a biome is off the screen, and no matter how I resize it, it stays off screen and I can't see to edit it.

Thanks, I had a hunch it was counter based, but wasn't sure what was being counted, or the units used.

actually I tested alot of those and 2155350 works for spring.

Good to know alot of that. Now I am working on making a map for a server my friends are currently working on. I have the map designed nicely and everything but is there some way to have the server look at the map and just put down trees and sand and what not. Because currently I don't much like the way the generator works with dropping trees and stuff.

Here is my map before i drop any trees on it.

http://puu.sh/l0pZo/2560c63858.jpg

Edited by nightwatch

Working on an interface rework that should work with other systems.

Edited by Eitr

Sadly this is unusable on Linux apparently (not sure about Windows) with the latest build. The field to enter the Size of a biome is off the screen, and no matter how I resize it, it stays off screen and I can't see to edit it.

For dropping dirt, go to the Seed number and press Tab twice (first goes to the "#" button, second to that field), be sure to hit delete and backspace a few times to make sure the field is clear, then add your number.

For seeing biomes same thing, but Tab only once from Seed Count to Size.  Annoying to a minor degree, but fully functional.

Silly question, but what does the whole "dropping dirt" mean?  Does it change/affect the topography/layout of the map?  Or does it simply say to the server "this is dirt.  It's not rock"?

Also, does the tool support 32,768?

Edited by Lichbane

Budda's away till next week, just so you know. He might be checking in, but PAX may be more interesting :)

• Like 1

@Lichbane

Wurm terrain is unique in that you need two heightmaps, the rock level and the dirt level.  The game allows you to dig dirt down to rock.   So dropping dirt literally means dropping dirt on the rock using algorithms that flow dirt down the rock for a more natural eroded look and some game variety with some areas having more dirt than other areas.

My latest version has a very rudimentary interface overhaul that should be easy to use on any interface for all interfaces, hopefully Eitr improves it though, I hate GUI programing with a distinct passion. 

I love what you have done even if I am apparently too stupid to figure it out :)

I generated a map, populated the biome and got it looking pretty decent in the program.  Made  copy of the 'adventure' folder, copied all the maps into it, and started up the server, etc.

Made my changes to the skill settings, etc... and jumped in...

Cool, no errors, no crashes (once I got the local IP of the day entered) and on I go into the game...

Only to find the regular starter town, NPCs, guard towers, all placed on an endless plain of wet rock.

What did I miss?

I love what you have done even if I am apparently too stupid to figure it out :)

I generated a map, populated the biome and got it looking pretty decent in the program.  Made  copy of the 'adventure' folder, copied all the maps into it, and started up the server, etc.

Made my changes to the skill settings, etc... and jumped in...

Cool, no errors, no crashes (once I got the local IP of the day entered) and on I go into the game...

Only to find the regular starter town, NPCs, guard towers, all placed on an endless plain of wet rock.

What did I miss?

You did not rebuild the database...

in the sqlite folder there is a .bat file called rebuild-dbs.bat this rebuilds the database for use with a custom map. only downside is that the missions associated with adventure mode are lost, essentially turn it to a creative map.

Thanks :)  I have now done that, it says it completed successfully.  When I started up the server for the first time though, it is 'not responding' but it hasn't thrown any error messages or anything.  Does it take a very long time the first time for some reason?  (ie- 10 minutes or more?

Ah well, I'll do more reading up on it tomorrow... gotta call it a night for now :)  Looking forward to it... so far I think I like the map... I used 'Tarsis' as my seeds and it looks like a pretty cool map. Should be fun!

Thanks :)  I have now done that, it says it completed successfully.  When I started up the server for the first time though, it is 'not responding' but it hasn't thrown any error messages or anything.  Does it take a very long time the first time for some reason?  (ie- 10 minutes or more?

Ah well, I'll do more reading up on it tomorrow... gotta call it a night for now :)  Looking forward to it... so far I think I like the map... I used 'Tarsis' as my seeds and it looks like a pretty cool map. Should be fun!

For your first tries at inserting a custom map you should stick to making the smallest map. Use small maps until you know what's going on. That way you don't invest a lot of time trying to figure out how it all works. 

Edited by Clatius

Budda's away till next week, just so you know. He might be checking in, but PAX may be more interesting :)

Budda's heading to Melbourne?  Cool!  Is he Aussie too?

@Lichbane

Wurm terrain is unique in that you need two heightmaps, the rock level and the dirt level.  The game allows you to dig dirt down to rock.   So dropping dirt literally means dropping dirt on the rock using algorithms that flow dirt down the rock for a more natural eroded look and some game variety with some areas having more dirt than other areas.

Thanks for that explanation.  That makes a lot of sense.  So the basic heightmap is the rock layer?  Hmmm ..... that adds a layer of complexity to may map generation process.  I'll need to think about that.

Another question.  How does Wurm handle rivers?  Are the sea level waterways or does Wurm have dynamic waterways?

sea level waterways.  any river erosion code will be dry.

Thanks.

For your first tries at inserting a custom map you should stick to making the smallest map. Use small maps until you know what's going on. That way you don't invest a lot of time trying to figure out how it all works.

That's good advice, thanks. I just went with the default 2k map but I can see where while I am learning, smaller would be better :)

I left it 'starting' my first map for a long time and it never managed to let me open the server... I will play with a baby version next :)

So we can we add a dirt layer and then change the # and add another dirt layer on top?   

One thing that bugs me is if you want more dirt the mountains always have this ring of flat around them more dirt more ring....

It would be nice if you can add one layer of dirt then another..then another gradually reducing the elevation and not getting these big flat area's

Hi all, it's me again.  I tried a smaller 1k map this time to keep things simpler and quicker.  Saved all the files; actions, image dumps, and map.  Made a copy of the adventure server, copied the new files into that directory, ran the rebuild-dbs program and all seems fine.  When I go into WU and select manage server, I can select the new copy but when I start the server, it stops immediately on 'Loading servers' and never moves on from there.

Any ideas what I might have missed?  I'm wondering if there is a naming convention I might have missed?

I give the map a name. Say 1024-1.

Then I make a new folder in the WurmServerLauncher and name it after the map which in this case would be 1024-1. WurmServerLauncher/1024-1.

Then I go to either the Adventure or Creative folder and copy EVERYTHING that is in that folder over to the folder I named after the map.

Then I copy the .map files from Wgenerator/1024-1 into WurmServerLauncer/1024-1.

Then I run rebuild the db by running rebuild-dbs.bat.

I fire up WU. Click "Manage Server"

Once the server window is up select 1024-1 in the "Select database to use" drop down. 

Click on "Start Server"

And you should be good to go. If you are still trying to figure this stuff out I would use Budda's Wgenerator since it is the most simple with the fewest bells and whistles.

Oh, one other thing. Since you are testing just make a heightmap and then drop dirt. Don't bother with all the biome, ores and erosion. You don't need them to run the map in a game. WU will put in biome and ore for you.

Edited by Clatius

when i start this program up it throws an java expception is there any way to fix it.

"nvm I had an outdated version of java"

Is there any guides on how to use this software?

Edited by Pcguy1000

thank you for this i am gonna generate a map for my server and set it up fully ...... DRAGONS RETREAT ISLE!

thank you so much