Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

Thanks for trying to help, but unfortunately no luck.  I've followed Xeon's method precisely and did reload and resave the map with the latest version of the generator, but no luck.  

Anyone have any suggestions or mind trying to see if the map will load for them?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3o50jwy2plrn906/AADAltqkOULrcGbuhIK8jRB0a?dl=0

Edited by Clatius

I put it in the game and it didn't work. I loaded the Map Actions file into the map maker and when it got done with them I saved the files and loaded them into the game. Worked like a charm. Are you sure you have the latest of Budda's files? Version 1.11

Man that's weird.  Yes, I just redownloaded 1.11 again and loaded the map actions and resaved.  Perhaps I'm missing a step?  

Started working on river generation

dd0d48a2e5.jpg

83433aacbd.jpg

In game screenshots in the spoiler

c50e317f29.jpg

980a3dcdbc.jpg

Edited by blayze
  • Like 9

Updated my map importer code a tad bit:

- Added error messages when you do something the importer doesn't like

- You can only import 16-bit grayscale images, such as those made in photoshop or World Machine (uploading anything else will throw an error)

- With the addition of 16-bit grayscale support comes the flawless (?) beauty of getting what you upload (no more minecraft map  :P )

As always it is untested, so use it at your own risk? let me know how it works~

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2wtrj229byqaph/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2_1.jar?dl=0

• Like 1

Man that's weird.  Yes, I just redownloaded 1.11 again and loaded the map actions and resaved.  Perhaps I'm missing a step?  

I figured it out.  Although I was saving the map ACTIONS, I wasn't saving the map FILES properly. I'm now able to launch the server just fine.  

Thanks much!

When you use a custom map is it supposed to have the stone markers and areas from the other map's database on it? 

I figured it out.  Although I was saving the map ACTIONS, I wasn't saving the map FILES properly. I'm now able to launch the server just fine.  

Thanks much!

Edited by Clatius

When you use a custom map is it supposed to have the stone markers and areas from the other map's database on it? 

Updated my map importer code a tad bit:

- Added error messages when you do something the importer doesn't like

- You can only import 16-bit grayscale images, such as those made in photoshop or World Machine (uploading anything else will throw an error)

- With the addition of 16-bit grayscale support comes the flawless (?) beauty of getting what you upload (no more minecraft map  :P )

As always it is untested, so use it at your own risk? let me know how it works~

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2wtrj229byqaph/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2_1.jar?dl=0

Is there anyway you can add in an export so we can take the hightmap from WGen and edit them then import them back in?

In the sqlite folder for your server are bunch of "insertwurmcreatures.sql", "insertwurmdeities.sql", ect.

There is an insert file for every database. When you rebuild the databases it rebuilds them based off the contents of these insert files.

The Soulfall stones are being generated via the "inserwurmitems.sql", and if you open that file up you can see them at the bottom of the list. You can delete these entires and rebuild the database to remove them from a new world.

Additionally the "zones" that are creation on initial map startup can be found and removed via the "insertwurmzones.sql".

If you want to export the current state of all the databases, you can run the "export-dbs.bat"; What this does is change all the "insert...sql" files to match the current state of the database.

So if you make a large HOTA zone on your map and export the database, the HOTA zone will be added to "inserwurmzones.sql" and will be remade whenever you rebuild the database.

Is there anyway you can add in an export so we can take the hightmap from WGen and edit them then import them back in?

Sure thing, I'll look into it~

• Like 2

In the sqlite folder for your server are bunch of "insertwurmcreatures.sql", "insertwurmdeities.sql", ect.

There is an insert file for every database. When you rebuild the databases it rebuilds them based off the contents of these insert files.

The Soulfall stones are being generated via the "inserwurmitems.sql", and if you open that file up you can see them at the bottom of the list. You can delete these entires and rebuild the database to remove them from a new world.

Additionally the "zones" that are creation on initial map startup can be found and removed via the "insertwurmzones.sql".

If you want to export the current state of all the databases, you can run the "export-dbs.bat"; What this does is change all the "insert...sql" files to match the current state of the database.

So if you make a large HOTA zone on your map and export the database, the HOTA zone will be added to "inserwurmzones.sql" and will be remade whenever you rebuild the database.

Wow that makes perfect sense - thanks Xeon.  Basically I was doubting whether my custom map was loading correctly at all because of these inserted items/zones.  I was trying to find a way to confirm that the map I was testing was indeed MY map and not the stock "Adventure" mode one.  The only other way I can see confirming it is to fly to a specific spot on your custom map and do it visually.  Thanks for explaining this!  

Started working on river generation

dd0d48a2e5.jpg

83433aacbd.jpg

In game screenshots in the spoiler

c50e317f29.jpg

980a3dcdbc.jpg

I love what you've done here. A buddy and I were just talking about rivers the other day.

Do you have any steps you can provide so I could try and generate a height map similar to this?

Alright, exporting of height maps is now in as well~

So I guess I'll summarize how my edit works:

WGenerator - Arpy's (Xeon) Edit v2.2

Major Changes:

• Added height map importing from 16 bit greyscale PNG images

• Added height map exporting to 16 bit greyscale PNG images

• Added a check box for "land sliding" allowing you to enable/disable dirt sliding above the set "max dirt slope"

• Added an input for "cliff ratio" allowing you to choose how much large slopes protrude through the dirt layer

Most features are self explanatory, or need to be experimented with before they become apparent as to what they do. Care needs to be taken however whenever importing a height map, as special conditions must be met.

Technical Notes:

• Height maps must be 16 bit greyscale PNG images- any other format will either not work or load incorrectly

• When importing a height map you must first change the map size and max height- if you try to upload a height map that does not match the map size you will get an error

• All height maps must be square and powers of two (1024, 2048, 4096...)

• Many features have not been thoroughly tested, so if you come across an issue please let me know

JAR: 
 (Has fix, see below)

SOURCE: 

If you are not a fan of the diagonal slopes generated by the latest fix of WGenerator by Budda (like me), here is an alternate version that
does not
have the fix/diagonal slopes (makes maps look more natural):

JAR: 

Untitled_zpsv3cv6phx.png

Edited by Xeon

Question about ore...

Even by adjusting the ore percentages using this tool is the ore distribution like that of wurm online? From my understanding ore types are regional like one area would have the lion's share of silver while gold would be found in a completely different part of the map.

It seems like when I'm looking at ore map that every ore type is spread evenly...everywhere.

Question about ore...

Even by adjusting the ore percentages using this tool is the ore distribution like that of wurm online? From my understanding ore types are regional like one area would have the lion's share of silver while gold would be found in a completely different part of the map.

It seems like when I'm looking at ore map that every ore type is spread evenly...everywhere.

You are correct, ore generation is not regional... I was thinking of changing that though  ;)

Major Changes:

• Added height map exporting to 16 bit greyscale PNG images

Technical Notes:

• Height maps must be 16 bit greyscale PNG images- any other format will either not work or load incorrectl

Can you please look at AK_ Wurm uploader where he also used 8b RGB PNG files using the Wurm dumpmap color palette for biomes (expanded for types of flora and ore maps).   He is no longer supporting his tool.

Edited by yarnevk

Can you please look at AK_ Wurm uploader where he also used 8b RGB PNG files using the Wurm dumpmap color palette for biomes (expanded for types of flora and ore maps).   He is no longer supporting his tool.

I used his code as a starting platform, however I do not think it is ideal as 8 bit number are limited to 256 values; this means that any map that is taller than 765 (255 + 255 + 255) will have "height steps"

At least that is the way I did it, it pretty much made 8 bit maps look terrible

Would it be possible to import a heightmap generated from World Machine and do all (set biomes and ores) with this tool? 

EDIT: nm.  I should have read some of the later pages.  :):o

Edited by Lichbane

So I guess I'll summarize how my edit works:

WGenerator - Arpy's (Xeon) Edit v2.2

Major Changes:

• Added height map importing from 16 bit greyscale PNG images

Added height map exporting to 16 bit greyscale PNG images

Added a check box for "land sliding" allowing you to enable/disable dirt sliding above the set "max dirt slope"

Added an input for "cliff ratio" allowing you to choose how much large slopes protrude through the dirt layer

Most features are self explanatory, or need to be experimented with before they become apparent as to what they do. Care needs to be taken however whenever importing a height map, as special conditions must be met.

Technical Notes:

• Height maps must be 16 bit greyscale PNG images- any other format will either not work or load incorrectly

When importing a height map you must first change the map size and max height- if you try to upload a height map that does not match the map size you will get an error

All height maps must be square and powers of two (1024, 2048, 4096...)

Many features have not been thoroughly tested, so if you come across an issue please let me know

JAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryn5cegkjdm6r58/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2_2.jar?dl=0 (Has fix, see below)

SOURCE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/59jg7oagggrbekh/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2_2.zip?dl=0

If you are not a fan of the diagonal slopes generated by the latest fix of WGenerator by Budda (like me), here is an alternate version that does not have the fix/diagonal slopes (makes maps look more natural):

JAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdwqzkvds6i9ic5/WGenerator-ArpyEditv2_2nofix.jar?dl=0

Untitled_zpsv3cv6phx.png

The dirt side appears in nature but the problem is getting the dirt to drop in a circle instead of a square. I'm trying to find a different way of dropping the dirt so it does something like that.

510760243e.jpg

Blayze: I'm definitely interested in your river generation. Are you editing WGenerator to be able to do that, or making the height map elsewhere and importing it?

Blayze: I'm definitely interested in your river generation. Are you editing WGenerator to be able to do that, or making the height map elsewhere and importing it?

Yeah at this point I have edited a lot of WGenerator. Once I get the last of the features that I want in it and test it, ill release a public version.

The dirt side appears in nature but the problem is getting the dirt to drop in a circle instead of a square. I'm trying to find a different way of dropping the dirt so it does something like that.

510760243e.jpg

Guess it's a matter of preference, I dislike it though.

Guess it's a matter of preference, I dislike it though.

Yeah I agree with you that the square dirt slide looks abnormal.

After playing around with it I might have found something that looks good although it still needs some work on it.

I had to switch to checking the angle of slope in 3d which takes longer but the result is a lot better.

437f1bdc48.jpg

34453610bd.jpg

Edited by blayze

I used his code as a starting platform, however I do not think it is ideal as 8 bit number are limited to 256 values; this means that any map that is taller than 765 (255 + 255 + 255) will have "height steps"

At least that is the way I did it, it pretty much made 8 bit maps look terrible

he used 16b gray PNG for height, the 8b rgb PNG is for surface types using mapdump colors not heights.  Wurm is not in any danger of having 2^24 surface types because that is how many palette colors in 8b rgb.

Edited by yarnevk