Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

A bit n00bish here - how does one begin running the jar from the command line?

Assuming you are using Windows, you will need to open a Command Prompt.

Hold down the Windows Key on your keyboard and then hit R = Win+R

This will open the Run window.

Now type CMD and hit enter.

This will open a command prompt.

Just my observation about the many maps presented is that naked mountain flanks almost never lie at water's edge or next to a plain land, but that there is a steep forested foot around the mountains. It's going to be a long arduous way to walk from a coast settlement or from a settlement on a plain land to dig the ores.

That is the Wurmian way....and also because the devs are from Northern Europe where fjords exist.   But there is a real reason for this aside from this being realistic mountain watershed cliff erosion into water.

The issue of adding foothills is that any realistic height mountain take a larger foothill base in the real world than you can afford for a Wurm isle.   So you have to scale heights using 1m = 1dirt instead of a real world 1m = 10 dirt,  this is what creates the issue of mountains footed by plains and cliffing into lakes.   Much better compromise than having 300m high mountains for realistic scale topography instead of 3km high mountains Wurm is capable of.

You will find this out if you preserve scale on any real world map import, that it appears you are 20m tall making mountains into hills.    So would you rather have 6 dirt high cliffs or 60 dirt high cliffs? Maybe the generator can add a final adjustment called height scale so you can choose your compromise?

Edited by yarnevk

I have a request concerning height maps. Could it be made possible to save the height map so we can load it into an editor and make manual adjustments? And/or load our own height map. Then we could apply dirt and biome to complete the map.

I have a request concerning height maps. Could it be made possible to save the height map so we can load it into an editor and make manual adjustments? And/or load our own height map. Then we could apply dirt and biome to complete the map.

I actually had just come here to request the same thing

The tool is fantastic, and the height map looks similar to an alpha layer in photoshop.

I would love it if it was possible to create manually a heightmap. This would allow people to re-create specific world shapes in Wurm. Such as; Europe, Tamriel, Middle Earth, Westeros, Glorantha... The list could go on, and it could be a lot of fun :)

Some parameter fields in the WGenerator are out of window boundaries, that is one cannot see them. Operating system is mint linux. It seems I can't paste  any screen capture to show; but the fields are: Drop dirt -> Dirt per tile and Add biome -> Size. Both fields are outside of the window right edge.

Dunno but it seems CC missed a great opportunity to make more sales cuz tools were not sold with WU. Just sayin.

Edited by Clatius

I will most likely make more advanced and visual map generator when I will have enough free time, DeedPlanner 2 bridges and Wurm Unlimited are almost out. (personally big lover of procedural generation)

When it comes to monetizing that... We will see. :)

• Like 2

Some parameter fields in the WGenerator are out of window boundaries, that is one cannot see them. Operating system is mint linux. It seems I can't paste  any screen capture to show; but the fields are: Drop dirt -> Dirt per tile and Add biome -> Size. Both fields are outside of the window right edge.

Had that too..... for Dirt, click on the seed, press Tab twice, you won't see the cursor so hit backspace and del a few times to make sure it's clear and input the value you want.... 

For biome size press Tab only once.  Annoying but only very very slightly.

Main thing I'm trying to figure is how not to get big flat-top mountains, best way I've figured so far (it's not perfect and of course until the game is out can't preview how nasty they are), is to do an erosion with min slope of 5 for 100+ iterations and set max sediment removal up in the 500s, anyone have other good methods?

Main thing I'm trying to figure is how not to get big flat-top mountains, best way I've figured so far (it's not perfect and of course until the game is out can't preview how nasty they are), is to do an erosion with min slope of 5 for 100+ iterations and set max sediment removal up in the 500s, anyone have other good methods?

Usually it will do this if your dirt max height is less than your map height on the heightmap (which is by default).  Unfortunately, if you raise the dirt max height to a higher value than the map height,it will result in mountains completely covered in dirt/grass.  You'll have to mess with the dirt drop coding to get around that.  Xeon's version does a decent job of it.

This is awesome, thank you! I've got my alliance's map sorted. I think. I guess we won't know how much I messed up 'til we're all in game! :D

wuhmm3.png

• Like 1

Budda, how feasible would it be to add a "Rotate Heightmap" button? I've come across some great landmasses that work out great, but might be better situated rotated 90 degrees.

• Like 1

I already fixed the part where there is so much grass in the steppes, deserts, tundras etc etc....

I actually had just come here to request the same thing

The tool is fantastic, and the height map looks similar to an alpha layer in photoshop.

I would love it if it was possible to create manually a heightmap. This would allow people to re-create specific world shapes in Wurm. Such as; Europe, Tamriel, Middle Earth, Westeros, Glorantha... The list could go on, and it could be a lot of fun :)

AK_ has already written an image importer for this very purpose, designed for Wurm API.

Edited by yarnevk

AK_ has already written an image importer for this very purpose, designed for Wurm API.

The only thing  is he has not put in a .jar and a way to use it without the programming stuff i would like to try his but i have no idea on how to compile it or whatever it is you have to do with it. 

A map I made, to be the possible first map for my challenge server.

d45c506764.jpg

Edited by Carmichael

Messing around for a hour came up with this 4k map.

nxrv9g.jpg

Edited by Emorat
  • Like 2

I decided to give the generator a go and here is what I made, the map is 2048x2048, and I am quite happy with it.

I'll probably make a few more and post pictures of them after they are finished.

TMnE5xE.jpg

Edited by Legionnaire
  • Like 4

I decided to give the generator a go and here is what I made, I am quite happy with it.

I'll probably make a few more and post pictures of them after they are finished.

TMnE5xE.jpg

This is super nice.. size?

PHego3T.jpg

My first try.. This is a 2048 x 2048 map with a little bit of every tile type

After realizing the above map's clay tiles would probably translate into giant clay fields I went back in and calmed those down. The hardest part about this is getting the down the size on how it would actually look in game.

JrxgoPF.jpg

Edited by Lyandar

Ah, Sorry about that. I forgot to mention that the map size is 2048x2048. I'll edit my post to make that change. I'll start working on making a few larger ones as well.

I decided to give the generator a go and here is what I made, the map is 2048x2048, and I am quite happy with it.

TMnE5xE.jpg

I love this map.  So how hard is it for a non-programmer to make something like this?  From what I've read by skimming the pages in the thread, it seems possible?  

I love this map.  So how hard is it for a non-programmer to make something like this?  From what I've read by skimming the pages in the thread, it seems possible?  

Not hard. If you read through the setting description spoilers in this thread and start clicking from the top down, the generation works well. Be patient if your PC isn't powerful.