Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

That's probably some of your settings for the heightmap. More Land tends to make it squarer looking if you don't increase the water height.

Also increasing the border weight might start making it more square like.

I just tested it locally by pressing the button and genning a new heightmap about 20 times, everything seemed to be random, a couple of squarer maps, but all the others fine.

hvergi: Yes dropping dirt automatically sets stuff to grass if it's above water, you don't need to seed grass first for trees.

Thanks for testing that out, it's most likely me just aimlessly changing numbers around trying to make something lol.

Budda any tips on how to make mountains like on the celebration map dump? The single large pointy peaks (Dragon fang) on Indy etc?

Budda any tips on how to make mountains like on the celebration map dump? The single large pointy peaks (Dragon fang) on Indy etc?

I wish I could help, I got a few that were the solo peak.  However, when doing so I started getting weird issue that I explained to Budda earlier.

I'm sure its just a settings thing we have to figure out.  I can't tell you what exactly I did to get the solo mountains the few times I did, but they were also to ugly to keep imo.

It might require some more playing around with the settings, but its somewhat possible - the higher mountains may just be weighted more towards the center: http://prntscr.com/8stgup

Is it possible to add this to sort of deedplanner? That you can fly around a map? Just a question though

That's one of the features I was thinking of adding to MapViewer to make it more than just a basic front-end for the WurmAPI. I wasn't sure how useful it would be though, seeing as in 3 days or so, you'll be able to pop these maps into WU and see for yourself in all it's fully-rendered glory.

• Like 1

That's one of the features I was thinking of adding to MapViewer to make it more than just a basic front-end for the WurmAPI. I wasn't sure how useful it would be though, seeing as in 3 days or so, you'll be able to pop these maps into WU and see for yourself in all it's fully-rendered glory.

Well i think it might be easier to get a view while you are planning over having to load it in the game and use a gm to fly around. I think it would be useful still. 

This is a great generator, I would love a compilation of tips to have functional maps when people get a little more into it. For example how many seeds of what size for particular biomes. Ore density, and what will ruin your world. How high a map should be generally based on size.

Also anyway we could get stats into the generator like the % of your current land is x% sand and x% other things?

Edited by drummerboyas157

Just a note: Saving out the map files doesn't correctly save the ore map generated. We think this is because of a problem with the API.

Will update when it has been fixed.

(Also a friendly reminder to always save action files when you're happy with your map, so you can easily regenerate if problems like this happen)

Alright, one last update for this morning.

Keenan found out that it was pretty simple to implement his MapViewer code into WGenerator, so we did that.

You can now pan and zoom around the map in the WGenerator window.

Latest release: https://github.com/BuddaT/WGenerator/releases/tag/1.1

Budda, 

This latest has a runaway thread or something sucking up CPU. After generation processes are done the map viewer is doing something pretty intensive. It uses more CPU idle than it does when crunching on dirt drops :-)

Thanks Sometouw, have found and fixed that problem.

Will update with a new version as soon as this ore map stuff is fixed.

By and by.... i see it's using 1 core at the time.... 

Think there are no single core PC's left.... make it use 2 next compile?  (I remember it being doable just way past my near nil knowledge)

And once again, huge kudoes and thanks for the app 

is it possible to add a brush tool to manually add biomes and maybe smooth/raise terrain?

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 2

Well this is the bee's knees. Works very well for randomly generated maps. So simple even I can use it. Thank you Budda.  :)

Dat zoom

It could be a little faster but it is good for sure  :)

It could be a little faster but it is good for sure   :)

Hold shift.

Very good, and if it would zoom in and out around the center of the viewing area instead of center of the map, or even better, around the mousepointer it would be perfect. :)

Latest version updated with fixes for CPU usage, cave map saving and dirt tapering at max heights.

https://github.com/BuddaT/WGenerator/releases/tag/1.1

In regards to suing multiple threads, yes its possible, no it's not simple - it would require a fair amount of reworking, maybe for v2.0.

How does the dirt tapering work? Can I control that or is it built in?

Budda a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible for the map generation to be more random with mountains appearing on coastal edges? Every seed I've used always recreates just random clusters of mountains always in the center of the map.

2) Can you add a Max slope setting to erosion? I would love to smooth away the foothills and valleys of the land surrounding the mountains without touching the tall jagged peaks I'm getting.

Thanks so much for the help and for creating this!

Budda a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible for the map generation to be more random with mountains appearing on coastal edges? Every seed I've used always recreates just random clusters of mountains always in the center of the map.

2) Can you add a Max slope setting to erosion? I would love to smooth away the foothills and valleys of the land surrounding the mountains without touching the tall jagged peaks I'm getting.

Thanks so much for the help and for creating this!

1. Try increasing the border weight to around 8 or 10, possible reduce the edge distance to 32ish, depending.

2. Yeah that seems like a decent idea, I'll see about adding that in for the next version.

Have you tested any of the maps made from this in the game? 

Also how do we get them into our server do we just put in the file for the map into the map for the server? (will anyone be adding in a little tutorial on how to add in maps to your server before you launch it)

I made a new really small map with some islands if anyone wants to see..

ltSFnM9.jpg

Edited by Kegan

More importantly, how is spawn in managed on new maps? Does a GM account need to first spawn in (randomly) and then create a starter deed so actual players have a place to spawn into? I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere but this seems like a good place for a recap.

Keenan has tested them on his WU server - it's pretty simple to get the map in there, just copy and paste over the .map files (and possibly rebuild the database files which is simple to do).

You set the initial spawn point in server settings when you start up the server.

Keenan has tested them on his WU server - it's pretty simple to get the map in there, just copy and paste over the .map files (and possibly rebuild the database files which is simple to do).

You set the initial spawn point in server settings when you start up the server.

Handy. Thank you.