Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

FYI, I had this same issue.  What I did as a work around (that worked).

1. Open up WGenerator.jar

Open up map_actions.txt

Copy the different seed numbers into the respective fields.

Gen Heighmap & dirt.

Change the folder save name (bottom left corner) to your old (saved) map.

Load Actions.

This worked for me in loading up the same map a second time.  Takes a while as Budda said it would, but it worked just fine.

Seems it does not even have to be your map seeds as long as the planner has a map in the window it can change so just hit heightmap and dirt on whatever default seed they give you on launch then you can load your map after that.  Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Kegan

Well damnit - I just wrote up a huge post replying to everything that was posted overnight, and lost it. Here goes again.

Dropping dirt questions: It already does take the slope into account, it uses the same algorithm as dropping dirt in-game, so when it tries to drop dirt on a slope above whatever your slope is set to (default 40), the dirt will "slide" to the next tile. It will repeat this until it finds a flat enough tile.

You can see how this works here at line 52 and line 332: https://github.com/BuddaT/WGenerator/blob/master/src/net/buddat/wgenerator/TileMap.java

Ore gen questions: Yes the defaults are way too dense. If somebody can play around and find a good density, post your OREGEN line from the actions file and I'll update the default values to that.

Load actions: I've fixed this, and now lets you use a dialog box to choose the file to load.

Latest version with this fix is here: https://github.com/BuddaT/WGenerator/releases

• Like 4

I used .4 for iron, .2 for everything else but addy and glimmer and i set them at .05 each

Ore gen questions: Yes the defaults are way too dense. If somebody can play around and find a good density, post your OREGEN line from the actions file and I'll update the default values to that.

Here is what I used for the map I posted above...

GENORES:98.66,1,0.02,0.02,0.03,0.04,0.06,0.06,0.0,0.0,0.05,0.06

Okay, after playing around with the ore gen.  It's my belief that the default settings are way to dense (at least for my taste).

So far Iron being my and WO's most available ore, I've made Iron 0.6%, and that appears to be about right.

Gold, I'm torn between 0.01 or 0.02% of gen.

What do you all think?

Iron 1%http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave%20-%20iron%201.png

Gold 0.01%http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave%20-%20gold%200.01.png

Gold 0.02%http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave%20-%20gold%200.02.png

All Ore Generated (highest is Iron at 0.75%)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave.png

Those images are too low quality. Can't see what you are talking about

oqaj3o.png

that whas what ive made so far.

I just currious how it will look in wurm vieuw :D not sure if the trees are balanced every where.

• Like 1

This latest version is wonderful! The only thing I wish it had now was the equivalent of a paintbrush for adding biomes to the map. Imagine being able to click sand in a tool bar and then using a variety of paint brushes customize the map even further.

Very nicely done!

• Like 2

New version works great! I agree painting the biomes in would be a nice feature but this works well as is also!! I wish I had the server so I could see it live!!

I'm not sure whether to faint now, or save my sanity for later....

I have few problems using Wgenerator, the only one I encountered was the fact that the main window almost disappears off the bottom of my replacement monitor, but autohiding the windows taskbar works fine, I only miss the lower border of the window, but as it's mainly cosmetic I'm not too bothered.

I have a few minor issues tuning the map, I too would like a slider for adjusting the weighting of land to water, often 'more land' gives too much, and not ticking it is a little too 'islandy' for my taste.

I'd love a future ability to use externally generated heightmaps, there are a number of inexpensive, or even free terrain generation tools that export to various formats that perhaps Wgenerator could use.

Thank you so much for this tool. I will be sure to donate shortly.

Suggestion: Coordinate view to match in-game coordinates? I'm new to Wurm so not sure if any kind of in-game coordinate is even available to Admins. But it would be useful to be able to teleport to somewhere you like on the map you have generated.

A couple of questions...

1) Are the default ore values provided representative of the typical vanilla game or do I need to increase them?

2) Are their any biomes that would fundamentally break the game if I were to emit them from the map?

Edited by cherbert

Alright, one last update for this morning.

Keenan found out that it was pretty simple to implement his MapViewer code into WGenerator, so we did that.

You can now pan and zoom around the map in the WGenerator window.

Latest release: https://github.com/BuddaT/WGenerator/releases/tag/1.1

Is it possible to add this to sort of deedplanner? That you can fly around a map? Just a question though

Those images are too low quality. Can't see what you are talking about

You basically have download the image and zoom using your pc image viewer.

Alternately you can zoom your browser by holding ctrl & mouse wheel.

Edit: never mind, apparently you're right and the image I uploaded sucks...

Here is the reupload cave dump of my ore settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1twhw1cuq2b2tq/cave.png?dl=0

Edited by Jerico

This program is AWESOME.

I need help trying to create steep pointy mountains like dragon fang. I tired options mentioned in the thread and still cant get it to work All I get is massive rocks and no solitary peaks. Any help?

Here is another upload of the map dump as well.

Has anyone been able to find clay on their maps?  I've seeded mine with clay, however I can't find it.  Either it has a similar color to other things or its just mostly under water and I can't see it.

Water is set to 500 and clay should have a range between 480 and 510.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvlqp9neczms7q1/map.png?dl=0

Here is another upload of the map dump as well.

Has anyone been able to find clay on their maps?  I've seeded mine with clay, however I can't find it.  Either it has a similar color to other things or its just mostly under water and I can't see it.

Water is set to 500 and clay should have a range between 480 and 510.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvlqp9neczms7q1/map.png?dl=0

Clay shows as a grey colour on the maps, I have managed to find two distinct patches on your map, one in the south, among some snad closing off a lake, the other in the north.

It's possible that some of the lighter shaded areas in the water at the coastline could be clay also, it's hard to distinguish it from sand underwater.

Nice looking map by the way.

Thanks, i did find some in those spots as well as a couple of others.

I may seed a little more clay, as I don't know if I have enough of this map.

Clay should be rare, but it may be a little to rare on this map.

For clay, I'd set the seeds to around 1000-2000, do that once and you should see a difference in the map to see how many are placed - if its too many, undo and turn the seeds down

When you're limiting the height for biome seeding, you have to remember that a lot of the seeds will try to place outside that height range, so don't do anything. When the height range is really small (like a range of 30 like you're doing for clay), almost all of the seeds will not be in that range.

Alright, one last update for this morning.

Keenan found out that it was pretty simple to implement his MapViewer code into WGenerator, so we did that.

You can now pan and zoom around the map in the WGenerator window.

Latest release: https://github.com/BuddaT/WGenerator/releases/tag/1.1

Thanks Budda for all your hard work.

One suggestion however...

Please make the seeds completely random.  Currently they seem to be incremental with a slight randomness in how much they increment.

What I believe would be better is if the entire seed was randomized.

Also, I don't know if it's possible but can you allow only one seed number/input for both dirt and height?

Edited by Jerico

For clay, I'd set the seeds to around 1000-2000, do that once and you should see a difference in the map to see how many are placed - if its too many, undo and turn the seeds down

When you're limiting the height for biome seeding, you have to remember that a lot of the seeds will try to place outside that height range, so don't do anything. When the height range is really small (like a range of 30 like you're doing for clay), almost all of the seeds will not be in that range.

Thanks, next time I'll try and seed the harder to see biomes first before all the others.

With experience comes easier map making  :)

The difference in seed doesn't really matter, as long as it is at least 1 character different, you'll get a completely different outcome.

You could set both seeds to the same manually, though I don't see the benefit of it.

Nice program a couple of questions,

Does the drop dirt place grass on top of the ground, checking to make sure when I test this out wed I don't end up in a brown map.

Do I need to seed the grass for trees?

The difference in seed doesn't really matter, as long as it is at least 1 character different, you'll get a completely different outcome.

You could set both seeds to the same manually, though I don't see the benefit of it.

Well I may be a slight bug I'm encountering.  As I am making maps, they appear to become more and more square until I either spam the random seed button or close and reopen the program.

It might be something hanging in memory, but if I drastically change the seed number, that seems to help.

Edit: also, I haven't noticed a difference when changing the seed for dirt, only height seed seems to change anything visually.

Edited by Jerico

That's probably some of your settings for the heightmap. More Land tends to make it squarer looking if you don't increase the water height.

Also increasing the border weight might start making it more square like.

I just tested it locally by pressing the button and genning a new heightmap about 20 times, everything seemed to be random, a couple of squarer maps, but all the others fine.

hvergi: Yes dropping dirt automatically sets stuff to grass if it's above water, you don't need to seed grass first for trees.