Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WGenerator - Wurm Unlimited Map Generator

I see the ore distribution is random ..in wurm the ores are in pockets of certain types 

is this possible for a future version?

no point having a 'public iron mine' if it has random vein types

I think this could be done by using the biome planting functionality, it'd just have to grow from the initial seed point differently than the normal biomes, or you'd have a ton of iron all right next to each other.  I might play with that today and see if its doable.

Is there some one who can make a video that explains how to use this properly how to balance tree spread and all kinds of trees.. how to get sand at water and steppes tar that is not 200 tiles wide?

• Like 1

Is there some one who can make a video that explains how to use this properly how to balance tree spread and all kinds of trees.. how to get sand at water and steppes tar that is not 200 tiles wide?

it would be nice to just have a seed button that give you all the random things where they should go like clay at water or at least a way to zoom in so we can see what we are doing, lol

Edited by Kegan

"Pro" tip:

If you're wondering what the slope layout is on your map,  seed the whole damned thing in sand and switch the max slopes on it.... then "undo" =P

• Like 2

Is anyone else having trouble loading the map/actions for a map once you have closed the program and come back to it? I have the map actions and all the other files saved in my file but when i put in the map name and hit load actions it gives me an error. 

it would be nice to just have a seed button that give you all the random things where they should go like caly at water or at least a way to zoom in so we can see what we are doing, lol

Indeed. ive created 4 maps now but im really thinking im going to get Tree biomes and not all trees spread out over the map properly! I think people will have to go to other side of map for an oak for example xD

One thing i've noticed is it seems that the 'drop dirt' drops dirt on each tile- this causes large solid slopes up mountains due to the dirt sliding. Any way to limit dirt dropping to tiles that are only within the slope limit?

For example, if the slide slope on the 'drop dirt' section is 40/56 no dirt will be dropped on tiles that exceed this slope

Perhaps the amount of dirt dropped could also be determined by the slope/slide slope; so it drop 60 dirt at slope 0 but only say 5 at slope 37

This is a pretty big issue, indeed. It seems like dropping dirt literally cakes the entire map in dirt. It does not respect mountain slopes at all. As a result you get almost no cliff faces, unless you hard limit dirt up to a maximum height, which isn't ideal and nothing like how maps in Wurm Online are.

I wish we were able to create maps like Notch used to make them back in the day. His maps were awesome. Terrain was overall very flat, with some mountain ranges that didn't end up turning half the map into unbuildable slopes. You also had a lot of ravines or shelves, so you could easily find exposed rock and didn't have to dig for it through insane layers of dirt.

Here's an example map Notch generated many years ago:

iZiL7XQ.jpg

Notice all the awesome settle able spots.

Much better than the non-stop mountain ranges pumped out ever since.

Edited by Scribble
  • Like 2

Could someone explain what the seed# means? it just looks like some long random set of numbers and I don't understand how that affects the map. Thanks

For seeding clay... unless you pretty much make it all underwater (which in itself may be fun heh heh heh), may wanna leave it unseeded and use your trial run with GM powers to seed the stuff manually... at least until we can zoom.

May do the same for tar.

I can see where the seeding in Xanadu went wrong lol.

I wish we were able to create maps like Notch used to make them back in the day. His maps were awesome. Terrain was overall very flat, with some mountain ranges that didn't end up turning half the map into unbuildable slopes. You also had a lot of ravines or shelves, so you could easily find exposed rock and didn't have to dig for it through insane layers of dirt.

I do believe Notch used World Machine to make his maps- unfortunately there not not yet a map editor/creator that allows an imported heightmap

[...] at least until we can zoom. [...]

Or they could add a brush tool of some kind. Same could be used with trees and other stuff. Maybe add different brush size and different density options. And thinking about it, it could also work with slopes with a drop/remove dirt options. So essentially you could just "paint" the map.

I can foresee a problem with huge maps though where this process could be very slow. They could probably use an overlay where you just paint it and then click an "apply" button and that's when the program correlate the overlay with the "real" map. Could work for both the layout of the map and the different biomes. For trees and other biomes it could randomize the filling where you painted.

Could someone explain what the seed# means? it just looks like some long random set of numbers and I don't understand how that affects the map. Thanks

I assume it's the seed for the random number generator. It tells the program how to start the randomizing process so that, with the same seed, you'll always get the same random results.

Well i had my go at it and this is the map i will be stating with. I am not sure if i got everything seeded right but it looks nice, lol

Small 1024x1024 map..

und7WnX.jpg

• Like 5

Here is my addition, loving the Generator so far.

Still working on generating all the Ore, however all biomes are represented.

Thanks Budda!!!

4096 Map

map.png

• Like 5

What seed/settings did you use to create a hilly center with flat outer area like that?

If you wouldnt mind pasting the first 3 lines of you map_actions file that would be great!

please could we have the 'More Land' checkbox as a slider? unchecked it too islandy, and checked is a square lump  (i'm over exaggerating i know)

or, what am i doing wrong?

• Like 1

What seed/settings did you use to create a hilly center with flat outer area like that?

If you wouldnt mind pasting the first 3 lines of you map_actions file that would be great!

Here you go, along with the erosion settings...

HEIGHTMAP:1445186252614,2,512,10,64,1,8096,true

DROPDIRT:1445186268084,500,60,45,56,3800

ERODE:200,35,40

ERODE:200,35,40

ERODE:200,20,40

ERODE:200,20,100

ERODE:200,40,100

please could we have the 'More Land' checkbox as a slider? unchecked it too islandy, and checked is a square lump  (i'm over exaggerating i know)

or, what am i doing wrong?

You can adjust more precisely with the "Water Height" in the biomes section.

• Like 1

Budda,

I have noticed in a few instances pressing "save image dumps", will reset the already saved map files to 1kb. Saving the map files again corrects the problem however.

Budda,

I have noticed in a few instances pressing "save image dumps", will reset the already saved map files to 1kb. Saving the map files again corrects the problem however.

There is something still wrong with the action load thing too i have all the map files but it will not load the map back up again after i close it down.  I did log all of the height map stuff this time and the seed number so at least i can redo it this time if they are messed up but i can not get any maps to load after i close the planner down. 

Budda. In the name of the people that have no clue how to write a line of code : Love you

• Like 2

There is something still wrong with the action load thing too i have all the map files but it will not load the map back up again after i close it down.  I did log all of the height map stuff this time and the seed number so at least i can redo it this time if they are messed up but i can not get any maps to load after i close the planner down. 

FYI, I had this same issue.  What I did as a work around (that worked).

1. Open up WGenerator.jar

Open up map_actions.txt

Copy the different seed numbers into the respective fields.

Gen Heighmap & dirt.

Change the folder save name (bottom left corner) to your old (saved) map.

Load Actions.

This worked for me in loading up the same map a second time.  Takes a while as Budda said it would, but it worked just fine.

Also, for anyone else working on generating ore...  Apparently anytime you change the ore percentage, it will regen all the ore so there is no need to close and reopen just to change ore densities.

Secondly, I made the following Key for myself so I'd know all the ore colors.

Iron

iron.jpg

Gold

gold.jpg

Copper

copper.jpg

Silver

silver.jpg

Slate

slate.jpg

Tin

tin.jpg

Lead

lead.jpg

Marble

marble.jpg

Zinc

zinc.jpg

Addy

addy.jpg

Glimmer

glimmer.jpg

• Like 2

Could you post a legend for the Ore Colours please

Thanks for seeing into the future Jerico

Edited by bigsteve

Okay, after playing around with the ore gen.  It's my belief that the default settings are way to dense (at least for my taste).

So far Iron being my and WO's most available ore, I've made Iron 0.6%, and that appears to be about right.

Gold, I'm torn between 0.01 or 0.02% of gen.

What do you all think?

Iron 1%
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave%20-%20iron%201.png

Gold 0.01%
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave%20-%20gold%200.01.png

Gold 0.02%
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave%20-%20gold%200.02.png

All Ore Generated (highest is Iron at 0.75%)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/vtecem/Wurm/cave.png

Edited by Jerico

Nice work Budda! My only wish right now is that we can regionalize ores like they are in WO.

Here's a 1024x1024 map I've been working on:

blackwelldump.png

And a stylized map I worked on while sailing from pristine to deliverance: (very much WIP)

blackwelligmWIP.png

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 2