Sign in to follow this  
drummerboyas157

World back ups

Hey, I was thinking how much more likely I would be to join a sever if the person running it would put a backup up every month or so that I could download, so that if they decided to shut down without warning I could start it up and not lose all I worked for. Anyone else think about anything like this? It is why i plan on running my own for friends and family, or playing WO for longevity reasons.

I see your point in this regard but realise the problems of that in regards to PvP it would allow players to download the data and spy on the enemy without them ever knowing.

This would not be wise

As Maxi said, pvp reasons, secondly... then anyone can download, go away, and copy everyone else's place. I like your deed, Ill download the backup, put it on my own server, and live on yours

The last thing is, if anyone is running a private server, giving other people ANY reason to download-and-run, and dilute his userbase more, would be insane.

This would not be wise

As Maxi said, pvp reasons, secondly... then anyone can download, go away, and copy everyone else's place. I like your deed, Ill download the backup, put it on my own server, and live on yours

The last thing is, if anyone is running a private server, giving other people ANY reason to download-and-run, and dilute his userbase more, would be insane.

First I can understand this might not be a possibility on a pvp server. second the pve aspect seems like a non issue to me. I dont mind if someone downloads it a plays on my deed privately, they dont have the people and will be living alone on a world made for multiple people, if thats what they want, i dont need them on my server anyway. I think it would be hard to convince people to go from the real server to join the back up server instead. Maybe just having a month delay would fix some of those issues as well. Every month last months back up was released and less people might want to redo the month of work. But either way I cant see myself considering a server that I wouldn't be able to have some garenteed form of back up, since people are way to flaky for such an intense game.

trouble is everything you do on that backup will be lost when the next backup overwrites it, unless you're just gonna repeat everything you did before, which IMO would feel kinda lame and a waste of time

I'm thinking more of a back up of the server that I can download and save. once a new one is released I can download that one stay current. The idea is to play on the actual server and if it goes out of commission you have to opportunity to revive it

Edited by drummerboyas157

You could encrypt the backups.

It would likely be easier to get a key from an AWOL server hoster than have him log in on the server and upload a dump.

I think the idea here is simple piece of mind.  If you can download the monthly backup and store it locally, and the server you play on suddenly closes down, you have a backup you can use to continue playing that map locally.  It's not for playing locally all the time.