Sign in to follow this  
Pashka

Fountain Backpacks [Merged]

PgjipPJ.png

Actually I think this huge tub overflowed long ago from the tears of the people who didn't have one and they are all happy happy joy joy that an expensive toy they are jealous of is being removed. 

I bet removing this item does absolutely nothing to fix the log off here and log in 2 tiles north and 1 tile west of where you logged out bug. But removing this pan is important crap eh?

• Like 3

Believe half the problem is not having a Public Road map for Wurm and very little Developer Q and A outside of WU unlimited lately is also adding to this thread's hype

• Like 1

How did you find out that they are fixing fountain packs and where can one read about it?

Just found it in the news. Thats a rude way to announce it in such a tiny amount of words. How do they plan on removing the packs and what will happen to all the items inside!?

Edited by Tsetse
  • Like 1

Well Im really annoyed at how it was announced. I completely missed it until I saw this thread. It should have had its own bullet point, not just mentioned at the end like that. If they remove it I hope they put in some mass storage item to replace it.

• Added Plant and Take ability for Large barrels and Tubs. All existing Large barrels and Tubs will be auto-planted. This is so these bigger containers can be used to hold dye to paint bigger items (providing you have the strength). This is in preparation for removing fountain backpacks etc.

I dont think the devs understand how much stuff I have that I dont know what to do with if this goes through!

Edited by Tsetse
  • Like 1

One main important point about the future removal of these FB's has not even been mentioned, that is the *reason* for removing them. Without making this known to players they really have no way to respond as to that point or make any suggestions as alternatives. Yet in all these responses I don't see anyone asking about what this reason for removing them in the future might be, all they do is complain about this.

Possibly there is some reason to remove them for performance issues, since they enable players to store a vast amount of items in comparison to any other means. If this is the case then simply enabling players to craft other items to store these vast quantities of items would not be a desirable solution either. Putting players into the position where they have to *guess* about why this is being considered in the future is what I see as the main point/issue that players should be complaining about. This is a poor decision on the Devs part, so in the least the reasoning behind this should be explained with some clarity, not just one sentence in a patch note which provides no clue.

Guessing games can be fun but in this situation it is a poor way to avoid addressing the issue.

=Ayes=

Iv been thinking about possible reasons as to why there going, And i got a possibility in my head from brainstorming.

Fountains themselves are being changed from inventory based to item based where rather then opening it up and getting water, Its just going to have "Drink" buttons on the fountain itself. Because if you think about it, Why would a fountain need a inventory anyways, it only holds water, Or is intended to only hold water.

This kind of change would remove all fountain packs in existence and make the game more streamlined? (Not sure if thats the right word here) for the players.

Just keep old fountains and add new non-container ones with different functionality.

• Like 1

Some people like fountains or wells in places that do not have water sources.  They haul water to the fountain location to fill it.  They like they look of the fountain but just not the location.  I have also seen people that filled fountains with other drinks such as wine.  I have  a feeling they wouldn't like their ability to do that changed.  Yes I know there are other items they could use.  Why should they have to though.

• Like 2

Just keep old fountains and add new non-container ones with different functionality.

Thats frowned upon in the developer scene, Atleast in the areas iv been around. iirc its called "Bad Practice" to work around your mistakes rather then correcting them. sure rolf & cc may make some off choices but im hoping there code isn't dirty in that respect. 

**Still crossing my fingers in hope that WU isn't a over-complex ball of spaghetti code**

Also, It would become pretty confusing to a new player as to why theres like 10 different fountains that do different things. Its just easier for everyone to just change whats there and accept the loss of massive exploit storage and bug dev's for a new storage item or bigger chests rather then begging for a ton of new non-required items to be introduced when there could be better uses for new items like a even bigger magical chest that stores 500 items but adds a little bit of decay every month.

Just leave the current fountain backpack pan chest cart boat bird planes of ultra keeping "as is", legacy items, and stay on course with the other half of the plan, allowing people to carry stuff that'll paint knarrs.

OR at least add "racks" that you can put into forges and ovens to stuff 500 pans.

Poor show taking out 50s+ items out of the blue, bugged or not.... at least the way Wurm's weird economy works... eh.

If it's a code thing, not leaving them in, at least let fountain pan owners trade them for something like that cool dragon HotA statue (random suggestion but you get the idea).  The bug was just allowed to go on waaaay too long, thoses bugbags have become "part of the game".  (I never owned one, did ship one once).

to everyone upset if they lose a fountain pack

u will get through this

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGOQfLFzJj8

• Like 5

So, is this seriously going to be official?

what happens to all items currently in fountains?

Do we get an EXACT DATE for this unneeded change?

Edited by whykillme

So, is this seriously going to be official?

what happens to all items currently in fountains?

Do we get an EXACT DATE for this unneeded change?

Of course we wont. We'll log in one day and they'll just vanish.

• Like 2

Painful for some. But these things are pretty obvious exploits and as such could be expected to be fixed at some point. 

Painful for some. But these things are pretty obvious exploits and as such could be expected to be fixed at some point. 

I wouldn't see these fountain pans as exploits as that doesn't get the discussion anywhere and doesn't benefit Wurm in any way, it's simply counterproductive. Instead I'd see them as an area where the game needs to be improved. Wurm could do with some quality of life improvements when it comes to storage, like forges which can contain a lot more ores and other items, vastly larger chests (both magical and otherwise) which can contain more items, etc. The fountains are but a symptom of that, where people got sick of needing dozens of chests to store their stuff (inventory management on such a scale is simply a giant pita). The right step would be  to add new storage items and then either leave fountains untoched, or replace existing fountains with those new storage items. (for example, a fountain in a forge could be replaced with one of the proposed bigger forges)

Edited by Ecrir

All I will say is, if they are removed, we need a way to do EVERYTHING they do right now, mainly a bigger forge and more space for deadly slow / no decay.

If you keep making wurm more and more real work, you'll find less and less people willing to try to have fun through all of it.

Has my fountain pans ever hurt another player? I don't believe so. In fact it's helped since I've stored things for friends and alliance members.

Having them removed just because we get a alternative to dye is a joke (that was the least used part)

Please, either 1: add other things with the same function(s) that are decently hard to make. Or keep them. (And I'd say still add things! Everyone should have access to similar items IMO, but FP's should remain a "artifact")

• Like 1

They are clearly not intended to work like they do. To me they are exploits. Of course, these have been known for a long time, devs have known about it and let it be for several years. They are not punishable exploits. 

Of course they have to fix these bugs. The strange thing is that it has not been done earlier. The fact that they are doing it this late makes many people angry. Some kind of compensation, like some new items with similar but a bit toned down functionality could be a good compromise. Should be available as crafted items then, although somewhat hard to obtain.

They were inserted accidently but they became one of the most important things in Wurm. You can definitely say that Wurm will not be the same without them for many people. So this is just bad.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

They were inserted accidently but they became one of the most important things in Wurm. You can definitely say that Wurm will not be the same without them for many people. So this is just bad.

Only important to the people who have them, for the rest they were either too expensive and not that common to get your hands on one.

For the people that are hoarding 1000's of items in these things, perhaps you are overloading the data base hanging on to things which should of decayed long ago, seriously how can you have 1000's of things that are that precious?

If you are sitting on 5000 gems, maybe its time to either use them or sell them off, I would say sell them, as you have not gotten around to using them in the past several years I doubt you are going to use them anytime soon.

• Like 1

Only important to the people who have them, for the rest they were either too expensive and not that common to get your hands on one.

Yes, the rest doesn't know how greatly the game is improved when you have such items, which is exactly why alternatives like larger forges/chests need to be added, so everybody can benefit from an improved experience.

• Like 3

If ON DEED armor, pole arm, weapon racks, wardrobes etc shared the same 30 day upkeep no decay lots of reasons to desire items such as this will decline.

• Like 4

ugghhh storytime with Uncle Joe...

Once upon a time, a game developer wanted to make a game in which players could build villages, and so he said, "Let there be tall stone walls!" But the players also needed houses and flat areas, and so it was that houses and terraforming were added to Wurm Online.

Then, one day a particularly crafty player devised a plan to make his village unraidable, or at least as close to unraidable as possible. He said, " tall stone walls, I'm going to build longhouses." The next day, an enemy force came and destroyed his village. This time, the player flatraised the dirt under his longhouses. After getting raided again and building and redesigning countless times, and with other players copying his ideas and changing them, the current meta came to be. All of this, of course, was against the developer's original intent, but that is the essence of a game: the players create their own stories through their own experiences.

[...]

And so the developer indirectly nerfed the fountain backpacks by allowing players to pick up large containers, but that wasn't good enough punishment for the mighty Elders who had disobeyed his intent. He slammed down the might fist of Rolf, removing the items completely, even though they served no functional purpose and merely brought on an air of nostaliga.

And so it was.

• Like 4

Half of everquest was unintended game play, kiting, splitting mobs etc.

Players will always find a way to do things not intended by devs.