Sign in to follow this  
AK_

Treasure Island map [EDIT: with 1024x1024 download]

Inspired by the original map of Treasure Island drawn by R.L. Stevenson.

ti_dump_800.jpg

UPDATE.

1024x1024 version of this map is available: (dump view, 516 kb png image): http://blog.postcardgallery.net/i/wurm/ti_1024_dump.png

You can download map files for the new version here (zip archive, 2.1 Mb): http://blog.postcardgallery.net/i/wurm/map-1024.zip

For installation, make a copy of Creative directory (which should be in C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher) with new name (for example, "TI"), extract map files from the zip archive and overwrite existing files in the TI folder.

Then, go to Ti\sqlite directory and wipe database by method described here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132663-x1024-custom-maps-do-not-work/page-2#entry1363950

Finally, start Wurm Unlimited, click Manage Server, and select TI in the list of game databases.

I quickly tested the 1024x1024 map on my laptop with 4 Gb RAM running both client and LAN server. Everything was fine, but once I was disconnected while disembarking a horse.

Edited by AK_
  • Like 5

Nice map 

Now how will this work when we get the game how do you take a map that someone has made like this one for example and use it for our game?  I guess we will need some kind of file and we put it in our games file? 

You will just need to copy-paste and replace map files. Works best on completely empty database, otherwise this can cause instability or instant crash.

If you want to create your own fictional map AK_ has written a .flora, surface, mine and height map PNG image importer on top of WurmAPI.  Which means you could very carefully paint something without every writing any Java, or use any other language other than Java, or any terrain generator that supports image formats.

Swamp could use some marsh,  that looks like some fun adventure with those cliffs.  

Hopefully someone writes a mod manager that deals with the security of swapping files in and out.

Edited by yarnevk

You will just need to copy-paste and replace map files. Works best on completely empty database, otherwise this can cause instability or instant crash.

That means you can't have more than 2 islands per server?

Since WU will have only 2 maps or i'm getting it totally wrong?

Edited by KunAlt

That means you can't have more than 2 islands per server?

Since WU will have only 2 maps or i'm getting it totally wrong?

You can connect any amount of servers.

But one map per server right?.  Adventure mode and Creative mode are just different maps with different server rules.  So in theory I could travel from one to the other assuming the admin permits it?  I suspect public travel will be unlikely given the possiblity of exploiting differences in server rules.  But if I just want to use this map I just make a server called Treasure Island and sail to it - will the server crossing load the offline server and shut down the online server or do both servers have to be online  to sail between?  Or is that not possible for single player to sail the borders and just have to start a new alt?

Edited by yarnevk

You can connect any amount of servers.

So that means if I want to recreate lets say Freedom isles from WO I need to purchase 8 copies of wurm and host it in different PC's? (I'm asking because apparently you can only run one instance of steam per PC)

• Like 1

Nice map 

Now how will this work when we get the game how do you take a map that someone has made like this one for example and use it for our game?  I guess we will need some kind of file and we put it in our games file? 

This map can be re-created from test files in https://github.com/aekazakov/WurmMapUploader repository, as described in README.md. But I did not much care about playability, so it may lack some resources.

Afaik the size is the limit, and the picture shows one server with several islands.

I think it's the client that has a limit to one instance.

Edited by Cecci

what height map generator do you use AK ?

I have world creator to generate height maps, but what is the max height the worlds can be?

and is the rock and heightmap.png the same? or are they slightly different?

i think i understand the cave map is generating the ores, and you've listed the colors in the readme

same for the terrain map, i can just hand paint the map once i have its shape, which is awesome!

+/-2^15 dirts are max height that fits into a grey scale, but that may create too steep of slopes and you should keep it to 3km (30000 dirt) peaks to avoid bugs, for small islands it will likely be much less.  The rock is bedrock that is under the dirt heightmap, if bedrock is higher than the dirt then you just see the rock layer.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

what height map generator do you use AK ?

I have world creator to generate height maps, but what is the max height the worlds can be?

and is the rock and heightmap.png the same? or are they slightly different?

I used demo version of GeoControl for creation of test height map, exported in r32, then converted r32 to 16 bit PNG with a simple converter found with Google.

In theory, max height is about 32K above water table, but extremely high values can cause problems for server.

Rock and heightmap files are different. Rock map stores height of rock layer, while heightmap stores height of land surface (and sea bottom). These two height values must be equal for exposed rock tiles, but for all other terrain types heightmap value should be higher than rock height. The difference between gray intensities in the same position of height map and rock map corresponds to depth of dirt layer in this position.

what technique did you use to offset the the dirt layer from the rock layer? the 2 test files look identical and i cant figure out how to go about it.

This map can be re-created from test files in https://github.com/aekazakov/WurmMapUploader repository, as described in README.md. But I did not much care about playability, so it may lack some resources.

I am not sure i could ever get it to work but if you make a playable 1024x1024 map of this or something similar i can just swap out for the game map i would likely use it thought :)

I will be looking for a small 1024x1024 map with one big land mass and maybe a few islands on it for my personal server map to use. 

Edited by Kegan

These two height values must be equal for exposed rock tiles

Do you know this to be true, does the WurmAPI enforce this?  In other game engines that support layered terrain having two layers be equal height causes flickering between the two layers.  Maybe the dirt under the rock has to be -max so it never gets exposed?

Edited by yarnevk

what technique did you use to offset the the dirt layer from the rock layer?

I generated rock map from the land height map with several simple rules:

1. On rock tiles height of both maps would be the same.

2. On cliff tiles, rock layer is 1 unit below the land surface.

3. On marsh tiles, rock layer is 25 units below the surface.

4. On all other tiles, offset of dirt layer depends on elevation:

4a. if tile is deeper than -100 from sea level, it always have 30 dirts over rock

4b. underwater tiles from -100 to -1 have rock layer height = (surface depth)*1.1 - 20. Thus, dirt layer would be between 21 at depth -1 to 30 at depth -100.

4c. land tiles with elevation from 0 to 999 have rock layer height = (surface elevation)*0.9 - 20. Thus, dirt layer would be between 20 at elevation 0 to 120 at elevation 999.

4d. land tiles with elevation from 1000 to 2999 have rock layer height = (surface elevation)*0.9 +80 20. Thus, dirt layer would be between 20 at elevation 1000 to 220 at elevation 2999.

4e. land tiles with elevation >2999 always have 20 dirt over rock.

I am not sure this was a very smart method for rock map generation, but I made this map for uploader testing and for tutorial server, so I don't much care about playability.

the 2 test files look identical and i cant figure out how to go about it.

They should look almost identical, if you look at them on your screen. Your color screen can display only 256 shades of gray, but 16 bit files encode 65536 shades. To display 16 bit grayscale image, graphical viewer converts the output into 256 grayscale. Thus, tiles with dirt layer thinner than 256 units would have either the same or very similar shades. As my map has a maximal dirt layer depth of 220 units, it's hard to notice such subtle differences simply by looking at the images.

• Like 1

Do you know this to be true, does the WurmAPI enforce this?  In other game engines that support layered terrain having two layers be equal height causes flickering between the two layers.  Maybe the dirt under the rock has to be -max so it never gets exposed?

WurmAPI enforces two things:

If tile is on lower height than rock layer height at the moment of saving map to file, it will be automatically set to rock layer height.

If the whole tile is exposed (rock level equal to surface level in all four corners), its type will be changed to rock on map save.

So, dirt cannot be under the rock. Instead, land surface will be elevated to fit the rock height.

I will be looking for a small 1024x1024 map with one big land mass and maybe a few islands on it for my personal server map to use. 

You would better wait for a good Wurm map generator and then make a map that will suit your fancy :) My map is not balanced for "grab-and-play" use, it needs thorough fine-tuning in GM mode. Some resource tiles are scarce, all sorts of ore veins are very easy to find etc.

but we can use your tool to compile other heightmaps other than the test stuff?

abundance of ores is hardly a problem in singleplayer, i think your tool will work just fine for what most of us want, as long as i can figure out how generate the rock layer x)

im still digesting the info, is this something you do in mapuploader once you have the heightmap? does it need the terrain file?

but we can use your tool to compile other heightmaps other than the test stuff?

Yes, as long as your map is 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 16 bit grayscale PNG, it can be used with my uploader.

i think your tool will work just fine for what most of us want, as long as i can figure out how generate the rock layer x)

Making a copy of your terrain with decreased height is probably a simplest way to create rock heightmap :) if your generator can do it

im still digesting the info, is this something you do in mapuploader once you have the heightmap? does it need the terrain file?

My uploader always needs four files:

1. Heightmap of land surface.

2. Terrain map  (type of terrain for each tile).

3. Cave map (type of solid cave wall for each tile).

4. Heightmap of rock layer.

If you don't have a terrain map, make an image of the size of your map (1024x1024, 2048x2048 or 4096x4096) in any graphical editor and paint different types of terrain in colors that my uploader will understand (don't forget to turn anti-aliasing off).

If you don't have a cave map, make a grey image (RGB 127,127,127) of the same size and draw ore, marble and slate pixels on it :)

• Like 1

woot i generated my first custom map xD i call it omega island

very much wip cause painting the terrain map is well.. a pita.  photoshop likes to make all kinds of colors that the uploader doesnt like, ill work on figuring that out tmrw , its been tough enough figuring out netbeans n java and all that

to run it i have to use java -jar wurmmapuploader.jar [args]

are you gonna post this is the tool forum aswell?

ZHNu9yk.png

Edited by Aum

Make sure you turn off any color blending options when painting surface types!   You only want color blending on when working on the height map greyscale.  This would be a combination of brush type and layer selection.

Link for download of 1024x1024 map files was added to the starting post.

are you gonna post this is the tool forum aswell?