Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

Jbergs Quick Start Guide/Cheat Sheet to being an (ARCH)GM

It would appear that if you do not activate your wand you do not have powers. So just make yourself a GM but don't activate the wand(s). No wand, no magic.

Only someone who has access to GM tools can for sure confirm such things. Again, I want to play single player and not run into issues that are caused because I can't log in two toons simultaneously.

It does sound like you could target yourself and then use the ebony wand to set your skills. I'm just concerned about how a GM character is treated in the game. If such a toon never activates a wand is it truly no different then a normal toon? 

Some issues I can fix with modding. The linking issue with spells will be a snap to fix. I'll just change the favor requirement in the code. In this case having to target another player to do something would be very difficult to fix with mods. Setting skills isn't the only part of this: inviting priest alts into the deed, adding to friends lists for permissions.

not all abilities are from the wand.  you would ignore some timers, still be able to use console commands as a gm, still glow as a diety etc.  it would not be recommended to play that way unless you are on a solo server and ok with it.

yes, you can have a mission set one (or more) skills.  Such as step on a tile, or examine an object and it sets skills.  So day one without modding you could create a mission at the spawn location to set a skillset and all who enter the server can get the skills or items etc.  a default setup you could consider it.  You could even make the mission a one time only thing (but they could make alts to get around that)

• Like 1

another way would be to make your server a test server for a few minutes, and use the set skills command that is on test.  Once it sets all your skills to something they will then be in the database and you can just edit them easily there.  But until you get a skill it is not in the database.  Someone may pull that test skillset option and mod it for use on normal servers as well, there are plenty of options that will surface shortly after it comes out for this as it is a popular item people want.

• Like 3

Great Post! Thank you this will help greatly in running a server with players.

Is there going to be a audit log to track GM use?  As a server owner I want to be able to hand GM powers out but have the ability to track the things they do, that is outside ordinary play, in order to make sure they are not abusing GM powers (spawning in items, making ore veins 100q, etc).

Honest question here, why would you give someone powers you don't want them to use?  There are 5 levels of GM.

Well it's not a matter of not wanting someone to have certain powers, but as a server owner I have a responsibility to the players to make sure there is no abuse of said powers. So if there is a log that tracks said actions, there can be an assurance that if a GM starts using their powers for other than what they were intended for they can be reprimanded or ultimately have their powers revoked.

many things a gm does are logged, and would be retrieved with the #readlog command.  I am not sure if this is fully functional in WU though as it does not seem to be working in game currently.

It seems that the logs are still saved in the server directory as a file, so the server owner can still read them.

Here is an example of one I just did.  (They also show the date for each.)

INFO: Mamadarkness created item twenty coin, WurmID: 3775144967956, QL: 1.0

• Like 1

A question I have is... is there a roll back feature? If so is it simular to the event monitor and rollback plugin like coreprotect for bukkit servers?

To globaly and or localy around a GM be able to roll back all or a select type of events for a given amount of time. An example "/rb t:1h10m e:dig r:10" So that it wold rollback all dig events for the last hour and 10 minutes with a 10 tile radius of the Gm executing the command.

If not I am sure this sounds like an attractive feature that you would find useful in the WO servers as well and should be food for thought.

many things a gm does are logged, and would be retrieved with the #readlog command.  I am not sure if this is fully functional in WU though as it does not seem to be working in game currently.

It seems that the logs are still saved in the server directory as a file, so the server owner can still read them.

Here is an example of one I just did.  (They also show the date for each.)

INFO: Mamadarkness created item twenty coin, WurmID: 3775144967956, QL: 1.0

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

A question I have is... is there a roll back feature? If so is it simular to the event monitor and rollback plugin like coreprotect for bukkit servers?

To globaly and or localy around a GM be able to roll back all or a select type of events for a given amount of time. An example "/rb t:1h10m e:dig r:10" So that it wold rollback all dig events for the last hour and 10 minutes with a 10 tile radius of the Gm executing the command.

If not I am sure this sounds like an attractive feature that you would find useful in the WO servers as well and should be food for thought.

you can setup a windows event, or cron job (linux) for that matter that periodically copies and renames the world files and databases to another directory.

I'm a bit confused about how to set my skills.  I want to use my WO char's skilldump, I have made that char a GM and I have the wand, but have no idea how to get into a menu to change the skills.  Help?

Nevermind, worked it out.  FOr other people having issues; right click on any ground tell, choose Skills->Learn

Edited by JackBinimbul

bind [KEY] #invis - For turning visible/invisible does not work.

So, I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped on setting up the first GM for my server. I have set the power level of my character in the server settings to 5, and it seems to have worked as I have the ability to set myself invulnerable or protect land, but how do I get a wand so I can start using the other gm tools?

• Like 1

So, I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped on setting up the first GM for my server. I have set the power level of my character in the server settings to 5, and it seems to have worked as I have the ability to set myself invulnerable or protect land, but how do I get a wand so I can start using the other gm tools?

How do we change the season on the server?  I don't want to start in the winter.

Does not seem evident to me how to spawn a trader. If I spawn a contract I just get told that the use of trader contracts are disabled.

You login/logout and the ebony wand will appear in your inventory.

I however am stuck as invisible and can't become visible again. Please, someone advise.

Does not seem evident to me how to spawn a trader. If I spawn a contract I just get told that the use of trader contracts are disabled.

nvm.. I figured it out and for those that also don't know. activate wand. right click an item in inventory and in the creature menu select features and there is an option to uncheck the trader disabler.

• Like 1

How do you bind things like flight?

I'd love to bind it to K but can't figure it out D:

How do you bind things like flight?

I'd love to bind it to K but can't figure it out D:

With proper gm level  - Bind K "flight" -   You need the " " 

• Like 1