Sign in to follow this  
Jarisleif

Erosion of abandoned high slopes

This sounds like a 'Fo' mechanic, maybe we should tie it to Him.  Which is to say: the stronger the Fo domain, the more effects of 'erosion'.

The mechanic could be as simple as "if slope is greater than some max value, then 'Fo will dig a certain amount of dirts and then drop them."  The change will be subtle and take some time to "undo" previous terraforming.

It should be easy to "fix" dirt pile erosion as well.  'Fo will take a certain amount of dirts from the pile and then drop them."

Sincerely concerned,

Fo Fo Fo

Mayor FourTwenty for Fo

'Fo weeps at the destruction of His creations by the hands of man'

P.S.

Erosion should make "ruins" actually look like ruins.

Erosion should make "reclaiming ruins" more than just planting a stick.

First off it's not the players fault that game mechanics make uneven land worthless.   They force us to make everything flat to build structures and grow crops etc etc.

Also I'm not understanding how the game would be able to tell what to "erode".   Wouldn't this level entire mountains eventually?

• Like 1

-1 here. Let the shovel heroes be shovel heroes. Ruins are nice to see every once in a while. It speaks greatly of 'What happened here?'

• Like 1

It's good to see this come up again. Truthfully, this is one of the reasons I lost interest in Wurm. Riding through a server is an exercise in dodging old ditches and dirtwalls and the land looks used and spent. I used to really enjoy riding through the woods and hills, but slowly the available area shrunk despite the local population do the same at a faster rate. I've spent dozens of hours fixing the most hideous and inconvenient leavings. It saddens me that this can't be fixed for the sake of protecting outrageously unrealistic dirt walls/platforms people built without deeding the land.

Any system does need to include exclusions for deed tiles. It should also, imho, exclude corners that have paving (thus protecting the road network). Given time even those will decay off and "nature" can take its course.

I wonder if this sort of thing might be possible with WU?

I feel the same way. As a server's life goes on, it tends to accumulate abandoned deeds, highways, etc., leaving less and less untouched land, and more and more 200 high dirt walls going nowhere.

I think a slow erosion process should be in place, but only for areas that are both off-deed and unpaved. This way, things that people actually use are not affected much.

• Like 1

I feel the same way. As a server's life goes on, it tends to accumulate abandoned deeds, highways, etc., leaving less and less untouched land, and more and more 200 high dirt walls going nowhere.

I think a slow erosion process should be in place, but only for areas that are both off-deed and unpaved. This way, things that people actually use are not affected much.

But that's one of the coolest things about Wurm!  It's biggest appeal.  You guys are seriously trying to kill the game and make it mediocre like every other MMO out there.

The ability for players to leave a lasting, or semi-lasting until someone comes along and changes it, impression on the persistent game environment is the single biggest draw of Wurm Online.

It really gives the feeling that there is a history here.  You ride around the map and see things and wonder, who lived here?  What were they like?  How long ago did they build that?  You see reminders of friends long gone.  Other players come along and deed over old deeds, giving them new life.

I could go on, but I think we have to accept the good with the bad.  The idea that the game would automatically "reset" the land just...goes against EVERYTHING we're all about here.

If you want something beautified, stop whining and grab a shovel.  Or start a community project. 

• Like 4

Stop 'whining' about people 'whining'. This change wouldn't make "Wurm lame just like all other MMOs", chicken little. 

Nobody has suggested the terrain "reset" like shaking a giant etch-a-sketch. The suggestion is that unclaimed, unused, undeeded, unpaved terrain slowly and randomly smooth out just a little. Over time, a very long time given servers last years, it isn't going to remove all traces anyone was ever there. All it would do is smooth out and mitigate the random spikes and pits that get left behind when someone moves on.

With careful limits placed on the system the legacy of great works, utility of canals and highways, decorative landscaping and memories of past settlement can be preserved. 

As a start:

• Deeds prevent it.
  • Paving on any side prevents it.
  • Buildings and fences prevent it.
  • Only affects dirt and sand.
  • Only affects slopes > limits by cart/horse
  • Only affects corners that are >X% higher than the surrounding Y corners
  • Only moves a small amount of dirt from the corner to its lowest legal neighbor.

Care to suggest a few limits?

Edited by Othob Rithol

Yeah, I'm not trying to make Wurm "like every other MMO". This is literally the only MMO I've ever gotten into.

I also like playing Wurm Archaeologist, exploring ruins and trying to piece together what went on there, and seeing what was left behind... so I'm definitely not trying to diminish the appeal of that either. Having abandoned slopes erode a little doesn't impact this any more than having pavement or walls decay in the first place.

This suggestion has been reposted since the dark ages. I agree with this concept, but it has to be done in a way so that mountains wont flatten over time..

+1        I had a very similar idea to this. I notice that people create docks for boats by raising the terrain above the water, and thats all fine, except that there is then no way to restore the sea floor to its original depth. Thus, the world of wurm, in time, will become a topographically uninteresting, blockish landscape with knee-deep oceans. I think that there should be a force of erosion that gradually returns wurm to a more natural look. I understand and appreciate the concept of ruins, mounds and roads left behind by deeds now lost in the pixilated murk of wurm history, ever serving as testament to what once was, but all things fade away eventually.

I suggest that their be two erosion zones of differing nature: underwater and above water, or air. underwater, there would be one style of erosion, one that ideally both smoothes down those unnatural docks and dams, as well as causes the deep seas to deepen further, perhaps the terrain could gradually "push" away from the deepest point of an undersea valley, slowly absorbing player made shores into nice natural slopes. I don't know if this would work, it is likely not even possible. But anyway, my better idea is for the land. The land would be constantly pushing its self downward, until the bedrock hits the water plain, then, to counter this, the land would also be pushed up in other places, perhaps at source springs or other places specified in similar fashion. maybe certain points should have a certain programing that specifies it as either a mountain, hill, lake, or other feature, and it raises or lowers in proportion to the overall terrain erosion so that the world doesn't actually gain or loose any ground material. I don't know enough about programing to tell if this is possible, but I hope it is. It would be very cool if Wurm were an ever changing, self-restoring world like real-earth.

+1        I had a very similar idea to this. I notice that people create docks for boats by raising the terrain above the water, and thats all fine, except that there is then no way to restore the sea floor to its original depth. Thus, the world of wurm, in time, will become a topographically uninteresting, blockish landscape with knee-deep oceans. I think that there should be a force of erosion that gradually returns wurm to a more natural look. I understand and appreciate the concept of ruins, mounds and roads left behind by deeds now lost in the pixilated murk of wurm history, ever serving as testament to what once was, but all things fade away eventually.

I suggest that their be two erosion zones of differing nature: underwater and above water, or air.

Underwater, there would be one style of erosion, one that ideally both smoothes down those unnatural docks and dams, as well as causes the deep seas to deepen further, perhaps the terrain could gradually "push" away from the deepest point of an undersea valley, slowly absorbing player made shores into nice natural slopes. I don't know if this would work, it is likely not even possible.

But anyway, my better idea is for the land. The land would be constantly pushing its self downward, until the bedrock hits the water plain, then, to counter this, the land would also be pushed up in other places, perhaps at source springs or other places specified in similar fashion. Maybe certain points should have a certain programing that specifies it as either a mountain, hill, lake, or other feature, and it raises or lowers in proportion to the overall terrain erosion so that the world doesn't actually gain or loose any ground material. I don't know enough about programing to tell if this is possible, but I hope it is. It would be very cool if Wurm were an ever changing, self-restoring world like real-earth.

Erosion should happen very slowly, meaning a flat edge might take 100 wurm years to sink 1 tiles length, and i suppose it would make sense if different slopes and corners eroded at different rates.