Sign in to follow this  
Drpox

Close please, Pictures were posted.

That would make the decision to use a custom map quite a bit easier.  Just a no information map dump.  Land mass type thing :)  Come on, you know you want to give it to us :)

Edited by Drpox
  • Like 1

Not me I am glad the dump map was not released right away in WO.  Even though there is no land rush to worry about with WU having the map at the start ruins that initial unknown world feeling that everyone had to explore to create a community map, rather than just beelining to the best deed spot on the dump map.   In fact my neighbor from Indy spawned with me and we agreed to head off in different directions. Much later in game I found out my neighbor deed on the new server was my old neighbor!  We had no idea spawn was on a lake and we had come full circle!

Even if you plan to mod with your own maps, don't you at least want to explore to see how good/bad this map is without getting the satellite view?

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

doesn't take a genius to see what the maps will look like..

we've been told one is PvP and one is PvE.

so, lets have a look at the most recently designed maps of each

PvP= New Elevation 

PvE= Xanadu

the designers like to follow a pattern, so you can expect then to be fairly similar, with a few small tweaks.

...on the other hand they could go for something completely different :P

Xan is 16 times bigger than the map that will come out with WU. Some of the lakes are almost as big as a 2048² map.

Doesn't matter what it looks like. 33% will like it. 33% will hate it. 33% won't care cuz they'll make their own. The remaining 1% won't know how to run the game.

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

doesn't take a genius to see what the maps will look like..

we've been told one is PvP and one is PvE.

so, lets have a look at the most recently designed maps of each

PvP= New Elevation 

PvE= Xanadu

the designers like to follow a pattern, so you can expect then to be fairly similar, with a few small tweaks.

...on the other hand they could go for something completely different :P

I thought it was adventure vs. creative, not PVP vs. PVE,,,,,the playstyle is up to the server ruleset you impose.   I read that the difference was adventure has NPCs and missions while PVE is a blank slate. 

So the difference I see on the map is PVP is disconnected isles, PVE is continent with lakes and channels.  Or is there something less obvious I should see.

Agreed - exploration with a map would feel a bit stale IMO.

Some people don't particularly like to have to spend the first month wandering aimlessly through totally undeveloped country with no skill and very little equipment just to find a good place to initially settle.  For those people, having a map available would be a good thing.

Just because a map is available doesn't mean that you have to look at it.  Personally, I'd prefer to have a map.

Besides, whether or not a map is made available before launch, someone is going to release a map dump within hours.

There is an open method in the WurmAPI for map making and the tool uses data from memory. I'm guessing we can use that tool to make our own maps.

If you don't want to see a map, don't make one. Simple as that.

• Like 1

thank you, Someone saw them in the recent client update.  :)