Sign in to follow this  
Scadouge

Need help

How high are the mountains on this map?

and how smooth is the surface?

PS Max mountain height 3405

h_1444783917_8422738_14631a971a.png

What map is that Scadouge? It looks like it would be a nice one for Wurm Online with all those small islands that could be settled to live upon. Only thing is that there should be a distinct valley n/s and e/w for easy land travel through those mountain ranges.

=Ayes=

Tamriel is the continent from Elder Scrolls the not easily crossed terrain is because earlier games Oblivion, Skryim, Morrowind where all set in provinces where the terrain worked as natural backdrop barriers.  Worked out well in ElderScrolls Online which is an instanced zoned MMO to keep people contained in their fishbowls while giving the illusion they was in a larger world.  Does not work so well for true open worlds.   I would guess that is Skryim era rather than ESO era since Vivec City is obliterated by the moon crater.

Any of the provinces scale better to WU, with Vvardenfell (the NE island from Morrowind) the only one surrounded by sea.  But its map also has a huge volcano in the middle, with twisty roads amongst unclimable terrain to give you the illusion the island is bigger than it is, although being a flying vampire you quickly learn how small it really is.  This is why it is not a good idea to mod in flying dragons into WU, it makes the island seem smaller.    I plan to rip that one (for private use from my own copy of Morrowind) for a no decay server so that I can slowly build up the various towns.  No mushroom trees in WU so will not be exactly the same thing...

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Wurm heightmaps are in dirt, which is a real world dm.  So those mountains are 340.5m high if you are to input that in Wurm, or they are 3.405km if the modder made a portable map using the standard meter (the more likely case). Each Wurm tile is 4m or 40 dm (dirt) so that is 16.384km sides. But either is actually a bad assumption when it comes to Elder Scrolls modding.   

Assuming scale when it comes to Elder Scrolls modding is not that easy.  Not sure where you ripped that from, I would assume a user mod so the modders will have to tell you the original scale.  Not possible to have ripped it from ESO because it is a zonal map that is not fully covered (but they are now selling a DLC to play in the orc province).  Every game has had different scales leading to lore arguments about what the tallest mountains actually are because the real world height equivalents changed with each game, not only that the lore has changed with each game.  Imperial City used to be in a tropical jungle and not Europe, this is by design because the Elder Scrolls are a meta-game plot device that alllow one to rewrite lore and rearrange the maps, combined with each racial province having different historical lore.  As much as I thought I was an Elder Scrolls geek feel free to search the web and read all the arguments about what the tallest mountain is and realize you are not even remotely as geeky as other people.

So the actual scale of the heightmap depends on the modders scale which also depends on which Bethesda game they used, and if they followed the games scale or did a total conversion and used their own scale.   I wrote my own Morrowind .ESM ripper so I might have comments on it's scale in my code, but have not modded the other games and cannot help you with those ESM (while similar formats they are not consistent in scale).   Since that is a continent if your conversion managed to preserve scale I would think you have realistic slopes but mountains will be hills, if instead you preserved tallest actual height your slopes are steep because the continent is not as small as a Wurm isle.   You will have better luck ripping any of the outlying islands as they are supposedly as big as a Wurm map, but you probably want to get it from one of the games so you have more detailed tiles.

To check slope I use a simple tile coloring that follows the WO convention that the tile belongs with it's northwest corner.  If the easterly or southerly max absolute dirt slope from that northwest corner is <20 color it Grass, 20-40 color it Dirt, 40-80 color it Rock, >80 color it Cliff (though I have never received a satisfactory answer if WurmAPI lets you set cliff tiles, nor if WO has a slope tile coloring convention so I just use this simple doubling that is reasonable for real world map erosion).  Maybe throw in Sand as <10 to cover deed friendly beaches.   Keep in mind wogic, the rest of the world defines slope as rise or fall over run for a unitless measure but In Wurm slope is just the rise or fall in dirts so a 40 dirt slope is a 1/1 real slope.  If you cannot code then post the grayscale input height map and I can color it.

Edited by yarnevk