Sign in to follow this  
ownerpure5

NPC villagers Mod

Would be nice to have npcs in our wu deeds, they could mine dig or carve bricks. I saw this idea on the GL of Freedom, it seemed like a good idea. Maybe they would need houses to live in with their own containers. They could also need food to function?

Edited by ownerpure5
  • Like 3

As long as its not overpowered, like a npc miner who mine you 10k ore per day.

And yes i like the idea, it would make some village more lively.

Can we also get an NPC to help fight strong mobs?

Maybe hire mercenaries? Who would follow you and tank for you and do damage for you while you sit in the back and press ALT so you can just pick up the gold and itemss................ oh wait. Wrong game.

Just do what minecraft did for WU. Add NPC village for trade, make a story line with an uber strong boss (probably would have to mine hop for 10h straight), then end it. then ppl would want to come back to the REAL game and make tools for silvers and bicker at each other for making the prices too cheap. 

I would like to support this request.
We should not underestimate how different WU will be from what we have in WO, especially for solo players. In WO world, every premium player is a taxpayer which has a right to lease a land from the king. No land property rights are permanent, but neighbouring villages can collaborate or compete. WU creates new challenges for solo players, because there will be no upkeep and no limitations for deed size, but also no trade with other players, no helping neighbours, no chatting in the kingdom chat while mining rocks and so on.
Since in WU, solo player is a lord of a manor rather than a mayor of a village, thus introduction of serfdom looks very logical. Training and overseeing NPC serfs would bring a new opportunity to the game. Such NPCs would gain skills like human players, but must be provided with food, water, tools and resources from deed owner. They would work only on deed territory, and number of commands that NPC will execute consecutively should be limited by mind logic of both NPC and commanding human player. The ability to program NPC for  repetitive actions (for example: ["activate shovel", "dig 10 times",  "walk 1 tile north"], "repeat 5 times") is crucial. I hope it would be a great new experience for Wurm Unlimited.

Let's take it step further. Fully automated npcs.

"Friend"

Sets up its own deed and slowly builds away in some pre programmed fashion. Sends you PMs and speaks when you enter local.

"Noob"

Digs vast holes in random locations on a map. Also builds 1x1 wood shacks in prime deed locations. Asks preprogrammed noob questions in CA chat. When entering local will attempt to trade spider meat for bear meat.

"Griefer"

Programmed to work even when server is offline. Will dig perimeter of deeds to rock. Mine in perimeter. Build war deed over highway areas. Attempts to kill all animals on deeds if permissions allow.

• Like 4

Would be nice if they had titles. Miner, Mason, Carpenter. And each titles would have their own abilities and advanced skills. And essentially it would be cool if we had the option to equip the guard npcs so that they have better armor and have them train.

Just take the class used for the trader in game, use it as a starting point, then you would have to code the actions, movement, responses, and any survival immersion you wanted to have on NPC'S. Well damn that's a lot of coding for a very very basic NPC. Maybe take some code from the creatures like horses and you can cannibalize it for some of those so you wouldn't have to re-do it. this would cut out a lot of the simpler things. 

LOL..all the bugs would be funny like, the names your NPC's would get, Silver-Strider, Great-Cantor..and not to mention they would need a pen with grass or they would starve..haha. its a start at least! 

ok so I keep thinking about all the bugs....you would be able to ride NPCs and any other traits that horses would get. Definitely would need to debug it and make sure you get all that taken care of before you drop it on steam. Might be better to use a generic creature instead of something that is so interactive with the player. Maybe a dog.

Edited by metis

Since adventure mode has NPC maybe just wait and see how it was done.

Yea, NPC bots that could be programmed to do various tasks would be very cool to have. They would add more the element of "life" to a single player version as well as gathering materials that the individual would not want o spend time doing. Since it is WU single player these types of bots would not really have any detrimental effects and only be helpful additions. Might not be so simple a task to create them though, no idea.

=Ayes=

Watching the stream the NPC have been programmed to have obnoxius kingdom chat much like the real thing.....

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Would be great to have a army of them literately following doing your command ;p.

just create a gm toon, listen to idea before freaking out.

have him create market with 10 merchant or so what ever

cheat code bulk items and or varies gear stock merchant then resume play as normal

just been thinking about this myself, my thoughts were more like the web game http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/ where you create a fire and keep it burning this attracts npcs with various talents over time.

Each one could be put to work and would make the single player game into a sort of management game where the player is responsible for correctly allocating man power and resources all the repetitive stuff is done by npcs. except in the early stages where the challenge is getting enough food and supplies to keep everyone alive until a village is established.

The game did have a few npcs to begin with but..they seemed to disappear after playing for a short while (like..literally saw them a few days maybe??) And their local chats were silly and fun...I killed one of them twice for his gear then he never spawned again. I can't lie I am disappointed with how few npcs there are and they seem to stick close to the main town (well..except the one I killed was far away from a town). The other towns I entered didn't even have any npcs around. I'd love the ability to be added --gm power maybe?-- for us to make our own npcs like the ones already in game. It's been done for minecraft, we can for wurm to.  Add them to your village and liven up the place a bit. Wurm is so vast, it gets lonely building all by yourself. Sometimes it'd be fun to have an npc say random stuff in the chat here and there. Don't get me started on the funny ###### we made them say when we first started..lol :P There's a lot of possibilities too, so if anyone would poke a bit at the default npcs perhaps a mod could be created with them as a base. :) 

TL;dr- A mod to allow us to make villagers or npcs--even copies of the current few--would be great and something I'd definitely support. I know we have some brilliant minds out there :) (if I knew coding I'd do it myself)

OOH! i made a post on the steam forums earlier today about something like this.

what about NPC towns?

with NPC caravans that go between NPC and player towns to trade wares.

that would be sweet!

Be nice to just be able to spawn NPCs that would give an area a less lonesome feeling. I think that as a settlement develops the chances of a villager will move in as long as they have a place to live.

Once a villager is in you can assign them a task. Maybe make it so that if you want a farmer your farming needs to x amount skill level first.

Requirements could also include mind logic to determine how many villagers you can assign tasks to. Be more interesting for sure.

Cheers