Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Wood Fence Ladders Up Mountainsides

Has anyone noticed that building wood fence "ladders" to use to climb up steep mountainsides does not work anymore? When trying this and the slope gets over about 70-80, then even spacing them at 1 tile borders apart I just fall right over the top of them with this new "fall over the top of fencing" thing. Then its bouncing around over the next one down until trying to use climb again with no stamina and bouncing over the tops of the rest of them below all the way down to the bottom.

So now the only way I can figure to get to the tops of steep mountains is just to tunnel a zig-zag path inside by mining. This is of course much more time consuming and if to hit a patch of dirt up there on a more level area you can't mine out.

=Ayes=

=stop press=

tour bus to dragon fang mountain summit is cancelled.

• Like 2

But they introduced sandwiches and wine to regenerate massive amounts of stamina so who needs ladders anymore.

Edited by Edge

My fences still work right, you just need to be slightly more careful.

But they introduced sandwiches and wine to regenerate massive amounts of stamina so who needs ladders anymore.

even low ql sandwiches work well.

Thanks for pointing this out. I never paid attention to the use of sandwiches and will have to try this out once I get some cows, milk them, butcher animals until I get a bladder, create a cheese drill, use milk to create cheese, grow some grain crops, make a grindstone, use to create flour, bake flour into bread, then just activate the cheese and right click the bread and make a sandwich. Done! with just a slight bit more time invested that the old way of making wood fence ladders to climb up there.

Yea, maybe some day I will get around to making a sandwich or two, who knows. Sort of reminds me of creating concrete to repair mine floors but even more time consuming work required. Got to love these "simple" alternatives to previous methods of accomplishing something. Not that I'm complaining?

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing this out. I never paid attention to the use of sandwiches and will have to try this out once I get some cows, milk them, butcher animals until I get a bladder, create a cheese drill, use milk to create cheese, grow some grain crops, make a grindstone, use to create flour, bake flour into bread, then just activate the cheese and right click the bread and make a sandwich. Done! with just a slight bit more time invested that the old way of making wood fence ladders to climb up there.

Yea, maybe some day I will get around to making a sandwich or two, who knows. Sort of reminds me of creating concrete to repair mine floors but even more time consuming work required. Got to love these "simple" alternatives to previous methods of accomplishing something. Not that I'm complaining?

=Ayes=

I was gonna type out all the steps it takes to make all the tools, actions and materials involved in get nails, planks, shafts to make ladders, but

• Like 1

My fences still work right, you just need to be slightly more careful.

What's your slope of tiles, 75-80+? Being slightly or even extremely more careful for about an hour at each fence was of no help? 50-65 slope is of little problem. Thing is stopping at each fence and trying to find a spot to release climb where I will not just pop over the top of it on release rarely works and if it does then there is the next one where the rare chance will not work.

=Ayes=

What's your slope of tiles, 75-80+? Being slightly or even extremely more careful for about an hour at each fence was of no help? 50-65 slope is of little problem. Thing is stopping at each fence and trying to find a spot to release climb where I will not just pop over the top of it on release rarely works and if it does then there is the next one where the rare chance will not work.

=Ayes=

Most of them on slopes 80-120.

I was gonna type out all the steps it takes to make all the tools, actions and materials involved in get nails, planks, shafts to make ladders, but

Yea but there is really not comparison to those commonplace materials for fencing in contrast to what is required for making making sandwiches, well unless you grow gains, keep cows for milking, and enjoy using these the specialized products from them for making sandwiches. Quite a big difference from making a few planks and shafts from logs that are kept for other purposes as well. Yea some iron too which even newbies will mine and smelt for many other uses. Not to let the reality of the comparison intrude here though.

Still I can't dispute your information that sandwiches work instead and they can even be made, eventually.

=Ayes=

Most of them on slopes 80-120.

Hmmm, ok good to know that they work for you then but as I said after trying for an hour I keep popping over the tops of mine. So I give up. On to other things not so time wasting then for me. When the usual slow process of accomplishing anything within Wurm is increased tenfold I just move on to other things.

I was just wondering really if anyone had experienced this same problem with them.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

=Ayes=

i make sandwiches and theyre the best thing ever. just keep a few cows around and farm some grain and you're set

a 20ql sandwich is like a full bar of stamina or more

=Ayes=

ya... they are annoying to make, but thats for a good reason lol

Low stone walls works better and less likely to cause the bouncing.

I, for one, would not be opposed to ugly mountainside fence ladders disappearing from our world.

I also thing that proper mountain climbing equipment would be a nice addition to the game :)

• Like 3

What seems to work better Ayes is to climb at spots where the slope goes two ways (in other words where the borders dont go exactly horizontal and vertical) and then make two fences each time, resulting in a lowest corner where the fences meet and where you can safely stand.  More V-shaped so to speak. I have tried it a few times on quite steep spots and it worked, but I'm not sure just how steep those were (I expect over 90 though). Anyhow, might be worth a try for you (still double work of course...).

• Like 1

I, for one, would not be opposed to ugly mountainside fence ladders disappearing from our world.

I also thing that proper mountain climbing equipment would be a nice addition to the game :)

I agree, while not as bad as seeing everlasting mine entrances all the way up a mountain, having to look at a rotting fence ladder for months until it rots kind of sucks.

The only bonus to mine entrance rest points is that sometimes they fill with fun surprises for climbers.

Grapple Gun, nuff said :

batman.jpg

Even though cheese is an ideal choice, as it can be stored in a bin or crate along with the bread/dough/flower/grain, using maple syrup will eliminate the need to keep animals (remember that your sheep and bison can be milked now) and the tool to process the harvested milk. You can't bin or crate the liquid sap/syrup, but you can easily keep a full barrel throughout the Wurm year; only the lowest QL sap/syrup will decay before the next maple season.

This problem started when they changed the fence physics around last may so it's possible to "jump" over them. It's quite annoying behavior when your character jitters around all over the place, not quite falling down, but not staying still either. I've even managed to get stuck inside the fence on more than one occasion.

The most frustrating thing about this change is the unpredictable and quite frankly, glitchy (don't tell me getting stuck inside them and bouncing all over the place is intended behavior), behavior of fences. I posted about this in the bug report forum when I first noticed it, which has had 0 response from any devs or GMs. I suspect we'll be stuck with this glitchy system for some time :/

• Like 1

1. Wine

2. Sandwiches 

3. Goatshape

4. Mass Stamina

Don't cancel your tour to the top of dragon fang. Just bring a Mag priest with gems and back some snacks.