Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Deity change option

I have to agree i spent months converting faith and the premium time too so if he thought they were op he should have done something back when it was all new and everyone was in an uproar anyway over it all.  

I guess it was put back but i don't want to waste another few months and find out again that it was all for nothing because they finally made a choice on what to do about it. 

Edited by Kegan

I'm willing to accept a change in 'sac' item for Nahjo - but not on skills (Mining in particular).  I know not everyone agrees, but that's where I draw the line personally.

• Like 1

Getting the whole player base to agree that Nahjo is fine is impossible.  I'd rather convince a room full of pro-life women that abortion is "fine".  I will also say that people use priests for different reasons, but very few people make a Vynora priest just to have a separate toon for woodcutting.  I think even fewer people make a Fo priest specifically to dig dirt.  Making a mag priest specifically for mining?  Yeah, alot of people do it, because Mags are THE most useful priest for doing non-priest stuff. 

Now ask yourself this:  How many veteran players made Nahjo priests specifically because they can mine AND cut wood?  I know I didn't.

We make priests for the spells.  Yes, it's nice that priests have other things they can do other than cast spells, otherwise a priest would be very boring to play.  I'd /wrists if all my vyn could do all day is make rope and cast opulence.  I'm a big fan of Nahjo because of the spell list.  When you couple having light token, Strongwall and the ability to mine.... I don't blame every Mag priest out there for converting to Nahjo, I'd have done the same thing myself.

But the biggest issue people have with Nahjo is being able to sac veggies (or any other item that can be used to make a healing cover) for favor.  It's nothing new folks, Libila priests have been doing it for years.  Just because you can do it on freedom now is no reason that it needs to be changed.

Nahjo is fine.

• Like 2

The Nahjo balance question is a big one and really depends on what the Devs have for their goals.

If their main focus is PvP balance then Nahjo is actually an underdog in this field and requires buffing rather than nerfing.

If their main focus is PvE balance then Nahjo really does need some serious nerfs as they have 2 gathering skills and almost every useful PvE spell.

If their focus is to balance both then they're in trouble since the original deities were not overly balanced on both (balanced on PvP for the most part with the occasional shuffle, but not really on PvE where Vyn ruled supreme and Fo/Mag snapped up the legwork jobs).

The real changes needed are a rethink of magic on wurm, how it functions and what paths priests take.

• Like 2

Nahjo is not the first PvE priest.  Vynora was.  An endless complaint of Vyn priests is that they are useless in PvP compared to the others.  And, just like Nahjo haters are doing now, Vynora haters have been screaming for ages that it's too easy to make money as a Vyn priest (which to this day is complete nonsense to me).

Vyn was never changed, Nahjo shouldn't be either.

• Like 2

Nahjo nerf AFTER this long time? Why was it not done quite in time? There had been reports real early. No intervention, even there was communication it is good as is, no change needed.

I've spent all this time building up my Nahjo priest based on the above, this is really ridiculous to change it now.

I'm ...well upset first time ever playing Wurm.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Where can we find the option to change deity without faithloss?

Where can we find the option to change deity without faithloss?

seems removed since nahjo can mine/woodcut again

seems removed since nahjo can mine/woodcut again

Makes sense, I'm excited to see what Nahjo finally ends up with, just made my first Nahjo priest, mainly for strongwall/LT link.

My suggestion is for Rolf to just admit that player deity priests was a fun idea that BOMBED and was not sustainable in the long term (can you imagine even 10 deity priest selections?).  Give all player deity priests a free convert (with no loss of faith) to the core deities and remove the ability for anyone to become a player deity priest.  Leave the deities, avatars, missions, etc. in the game as a token of thanks for the players who became them and for future attempts - just remove being able to make a priest of any of them.  That would limit the ascension effect to Valrei and keep the core priest role balanced and functional.  That seems the best solution to a very dirty mess.

I half-agree.

I agree that player deities, as implemented, are a complete freaking joke and bound to cause problems. However, I think they could be done reasonably if the developers did something like the following:

1. Make sure player character ascension is rare, so the economy and PvP aren't shaken up too often by new gods showing up, and because, frankly, a new god should be a major event, not something that happens regularly.
  2. Negotiate with the ascended player to try to establish what sort of theme the god version of them should have, and the god's overall character and focus.
  3. Create a list of spells, favor items, usable skills for priests, etc. that make sense according to the above and are at least reasonably balanced for PvE and PvP. Possibly consider some single-god-only spells "off-limits" so that the existing gods retain their flavor over time (e.g. "nobody gets Rite of Spring but Vynora" or "nobody gets Genesis but Fo").
  4. Ideally, create at least one new piece of content for the god, like a new spell, in order to differentiate him from the rest.

None of this is an lot of work considering that player ascension shouldn't happen regularly anyway, except maybe #4. In fact, I would wager that dealing with player complaints and bugs regarding the current crop of player deities has probably been more work than it would have taken to do something like this in the first place. In fact, I feel weird even suggesting something like this, because come on, shouldn't this kind of thing be obvious?

EDIT: Moving this to its own suggestion thread.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

1. Make sure player character ascension is rare, so the economy and PvP aren't shaken up too often by new gods showing up, and because, frankly, a new god should be a major event, not something that happens regularly.

The rest of your idea is pretty sound, but I wanted to point out that what we ended up seeing were three gods that earned that status since Epic went live in 2011. I'm not entirely sure when each became demigods, but the code wasn't working for quite some time. I've been told by folks on Epic that it really is difficult and rare, so that part is pretty much set. Again, it just seemed less so because the code was fixed to finally let it happen.

Maybe I'm missing something but there's nothing saying which ability will be lost at this point yet an option to switch dieties is added.

How are we meant to decide and secondly will this option be left in place and for how long?

Seems that the devs don't know what the change will be yet either but swapping dieties is one thing what about the fact that newly made priests didn't for example grind cloth tailoring if they wanted to swap to Fo or Nathan or Tosiek or toy making/rope making if they want swap to Vyn you'd end up with no sac items due to not expecting to require those skills, add to that the fact Nathan and Tosiek can both mine and cut wood(according to the wiki anyway), if there's going to be a need to swap to another religion there should also be an opportunity to do these skills as a non priest so accounts aren't made useless. 

Better yet leave Nahjo alone!

If Nahjo is to lose mining, I have my pre-Nahjo priest saved on Niarja. I expect to be returned to Magnaron at my previous faith level of 85.526. The only reason I changed was because Nahjo could still mine. If he was never intended to mine, he should never have mined. To remove it or come up with something else is a 4-letter cluster. 

If I get screwed like this, I guarantee you I walk from this game and I won't look back, WU included. 

Edited by Audrel

but in saying that the people who has went nahjo has managed to get there channelling up faster due to veg, and had the all spells that they would normally pay for multiple accounts to do the same thing so have saved money in another sense. so I wouldn't complain having to start from 0 faith if I did convert.

I don't sac to grind channeling. I don't need to. I use low QL gems that cost a small fortune of a king's ransom and need less than 10 favor. 

maybe u don't but others do, I can get over 70 favor from 7 veg, and my farmer can harvest 10 at a time.

I managed to cave in over 20 tiles in notime, as I said I have a nahjo priest and always thought it was op since it came out its not something new.

but I put my own gains aside and would like to see other priests made useful again, at what cost I don't mind as I think it will be better for the game in the long run.

we used to pay mag for strongwall.

we used to pay fo for genesis and life transfer.

we used to pay vyn for woa

list can keep going on but its just my view, its good to keep trade going in the game and due to one priest it has nerfed a lot of it.

Edited by shakys

So you're saying Nahjo should have none of these spells?  ok, lets remove WoA from Tosiek, CoC from Nathan while we're at it.  Ridiculous.

im saying they should have a good spell just not all just like other priests.

but they should have been given new spells with new priests in my view, or just remove the new ones ;p

Edited by shakys

maybe u don't but others do, I can get over 70 favor from 7 veg, and my farmer can harvest 10 at a time.

I managed to cave in over 20 tiles in notime, as I said I have a nahjo priest and always thought it was op since it came out its not something new.

but I put my own gains aside and would like to see other priests made useful again, at what cost I don't mind as I think it will be better for the game in the long run.

list can keep going on but its just my view, its good to keep trade going in the game and due to one priest it has nerfed a lot of it.

im saying they should have a good spell just not all just like other priests.

but they should have been given new spells with new priests in my view, or just remove the new ones ;p

(TLDR at the end)

Getting channeling up has absolutely nothing to do with saccing vegetables to get enough favor to cast strongwall, whether you collapsed one tile a day or 100. If you are using strongwall to gain channeling on a 3 minute timer at 70 favor, you are going about channeling from an extremely wrong approach. If you are talking about vesseling gems with full favor, you have been wasting gems, vegetables, and time farming those vegetables. You could have gotten 7 times the cast on a gem using 10 favor and no vegetables. So I really don't know what you are thinking people rocketed through.

What difference does it make if you pay a mag, fo or vyn to cast a spell or a nahjo to cast the spell? They all charge the same rates more or less. How does it affect trade if you can pay the same price from two different priests for the same thing? That's like saying close K-Mart because they sell an ink pen for 99 cents and Wal-Mart sells the same pen for the same price. 

Lastly, no, they should not have released Nahjo the way it is if they never intended it to be the way it is. They knew day one Nahjo was Zeus-like because a lot of us, many of them mags, complained that nahjo was making them anachronistic. In fact, they railed pretty hard at because it came on the heals of major changes made to spells a couple patches back. They said nothing. They did nothing. Now they are "Oops! This wasn't supposed to happen!" The same with the fountain pans. They have been in the game for years. They have sold many silvers through their shop for them to change hands. So people changed from Mag to Nahjo because they could mine, cast the same spells minus some that no one really ever uses at all, and gain a couple utility spells. You still need Fo and Vyn if you want CoC and Humid Drizzle and some other sought after spells. But Mag was pretty much useless compared to Nahjo. The reverted it with a "for now" clause which means Mag is probably going to get a kick to the jimmy twice - ,made useless for months and replaced by Nahjo to the point many dropped Mag and changed then some point down the road they might take these things away and kick the Now-Nahjo-Mags right back in the jimmy by making them have to change back because Nahjo was just neutered. 

TLDR: They should not have randomly generated spells for the player deities with a script then ignored for months the people who complained on day one about them being OP until many of those people converted and then decide they are going to fix it. Then add insult to injury by saying they might offer you to change back at your current faith, sorry for your loss on the other however many months worth of points flushed down the toilet.

So you're saying Nahjo should have none of these spells?  ok, lets remove WoA from Tosiek, CoC from Nathan while we're at it.  Ridiculous.

Yes, absolutely, let's do it.

In regards to Audrel post, i wasnt referring to strongwall as grinding channelling, i was referring to it as way, way to easy to get favor, go try and make locks and tell me which one is faster.

as far as I'm concerned using veg for sacrificing is a bug.

I agree with you with mag needs sorted, but humid drizzle is not enough to make you want to go fo, genesis was its main spell.

and the main difference is instead of having one priest account now "nahjo", we used to pay for multiple accounts to do the same thing.

Sign in to follow this