Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

What Will Keep You Playing Wurm Online?

WU is a fantastic development, but I will be staying on WO. What will keep me here are my character, my skills, my history, the interractivity with others in an official setting, the stability of the servers, the lack of worry that servers may disappear and of course - Celebration! :)

I thought you were gone, been looking for your post! Glad to see I was wrong.

We're still busy stealing and doing "creative" things to players so I'll stay in WO.

• Like 1

The thing that makes me and many others want to leave WO is people like him^^^. Rolf has given the green flag to theft and griefing. WU is the only way to play WURM and not have a care about that type of trash. I'm loving the idea of no locks, no fences, no branding, if it's yours it's yours until you say otherwise. If that were to change then it would be a plus for WO but I don't see it happening. 

• Like 1

The thing that makes me and many others want to leave WO is people like him^^^. Rolf has given the green flag to theft and griefing. WU is the only way to play WURM and not have a care about that type of trash. I'm loving the idea of no locks, no fences, no branding, if it's yours it's yours until you say otherwise. If that were to change then it would be a plus for WO but I don't see it happening.

Technically speaking (as someone who has ran servers) WU doesn't change that. Depending who will be in charge of the Server(s) changes with how he deals with griefers ect. ;)

Wurm has ways to make things safe, sadly they do usually cost a lot of time, or silver, but it can be done. (Trust me, I am VERY paranoid about my items, as I've got a few people wanting to get in for them)

But your going to see this stuff happen on WU, in fact, I will say you have a high chance of seeing it happen more. But it will at least be dealt with properly (hopefully, depends on server staff) but you got to remember, your on steam.

Steam community loves to wreck things, there are many great people In it... But many more that would love to steal things.

(This is saying you play on a server and not by yourself)

Technically speaking (as someone who has ran servers) WU doesn't change that. Depending who will be in charge of the Server(s) changes with how he deals with griefers ect. ;)

Wurm has ways to make things safe, sadly they do usually cost a lot of time, or silver, but it can be done. (Trust me, I am VERY paranoid about my items, as I've got a few people wanting to get in for them)

But your going to see this stuff happen on WU, in fact, I will say you have a high chance of seeing it happen more. But it will at least be dealt with properly (hopefully, depends on server staff) but you got to remember, your on steam.

Steam community loves to wreck things, there are many great people In it... But many more that would love to steal things.

(This is saying you play on a server and not by yourself)

Assuming the dev's are true to there word and there only taking out the anti cheat, WU should have full capabilities to track stolen things down as much as WO currently does.

Regarding how situations are handled, It will more or less always favor the victim of the crime, Thus creating a more desirable environment for the player. 

It is true that steam has its fair share of shitheads, But i wouldn't mark all of them like that. I would mark steam community as a rough community(Much like WO currently is). However since there is multiple servers available for the wurm experience, We can expect much more trolls in both games since there is now an alternative available. I wouldn't be surprised either if some dark things came to light when WU launchs and people leave WO for WU. 

WO & WU ingame protections are relatively the same, So the only increase you could expect in stealings is off deed off deed items that aren't too heavy or require a lot of work, So like carts etc. But assuming you locked it, it should be fine, For the most part. 

• Like 1

I've been playing for a bit over 3 years now. At first I thought as Clatius does. If you're not on a PvP server, why should you need to put up with thieving & griefing? Then I realized, after a few run-ins with extremely paranoid and overly-entitled personalities, that on PvE the only thieving and griefing is what you allow to happen to you.

The game is set up to prevent theft. Period. Lock it, properly set the permissions and it is yours forever. I have yet to have anything stolen from me since I educated myself on the ways of Wurm.

As far as PvE griefing? 95% of it is reputation-bashing, cry me a river nonsense that should have been left behind in elementary school. The reality is that the griefing you feel you're getting is mostly another player enjoying the game in the fashion they want and this just happens to not coincide with how YOU think the game should be played. The other 5% is legitimate player on player douche-baggery and the GM's seem to be able to handle that just fine.

For instance, I've been on Release working on a few projects and have noticed a certain area where someone is fencing in what appears to by a 100x100 area. Upon further inspection, no deed token, no locks. Now, as soon as someone else sets up in  or near there, there will be a holy storm of someone yelling GRIEFER!! at the top of their lungs.

Nothing is free in life folks. If you want a 100x100 swath of Wurm property AND for it to remain unmolested by other players, DEED it and LOCK up your stuff. If you do not deed it or lock it, you are accepting the risk of other players building, deeding over, or otherwise just messing with your stuff. Why? Because that's the challenge that is Wurm. The tools are there for you to have a great Wurm experience.

• Like 3

@Akaedis that was the point I was trying to get across ;) WO and WU will have mostly nothing desperate at launch besides who runs it.

You will still get briefed, ect. But how it's handled will hopefully be better.

Though mods will be made, and I would assume help those that run those servers. (From what little I know of Wurms current tracking ect, it could be improved, and more features added)

@Caroligan while you are mostly right I have to point out, not entirely.

If we take griefing in the slightly different context of ruining people's enjoyment of the game by doing something to negatively effect there gameplay, there's nothing stopping people from ravaging land where your deeds/walls ect end. Yes, this isn't your land, thus in-game it can't be considered griefing...but if I wrecked everything around your deed, wouldn't that irritate you?

Even if you don't "own" it, I consider that griefing if its on purpose to annoy that other player, sadly in WO you can't really put a arguement against that, even if Gms were supporting that.

And, let's face it... This game does have weird moments, glitches, bugs. There are many ways to open a opportunity for someone to do something to you, even if you took did your best to guard yourself. Things just happen out of our control at times.

I've worked with a lot of grief prevention programs and had to deal in so many cases of trying to figure out who did what, and how to take proper action against it. WU will have very similar issues I had in other games, luckily - just the other games - with a bit of patience you can work your way through it.

TL;DR, both WO and WU will have problems just in different areas. The good thing? Wurm online is the "official" game, the devs will do there best to keep it running and so players can enjoy the game.

WU will combat this with player owned mods (which give a TON more choice so you can play how you specificly wish)

It's almost like... Both games could be enjoyable. :)

I've been playing for a bit over 3 years now. At first I thought as Clatius does. If you're not on a PvP server, why should you need to put up with thieving & griefing? Then I realized, after a few run-ins with extremely paranoid and overly-entitled personalities, that on PvE the only thieving and griefing is what you allow to happen to you.

The game is set up to prevent theft. Period. Lock it, properly set the permissions and it is yours forever. I have yet to have anything stolen from me since I educated myself on the ways of Wurm.

*snip *

Nothing is free in life folks. If you want a 100x100 swath of Wurm property AND for it to remain unmolested by other players, DEED it and LOCK up your stuff. If you do not deed it or lock it, you are accepting the risk of other players building, deeding over, or otherwise just messing with your stuff. Why? Because that's the challenge that is Wurm. The tools are there for you to have a great Wurm experience.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131916-allies-has-as-default-setting-permission-to-destroy-fences-and-items-on-your-deed/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132162-ships-cart-which-crossed-server-before-losing-all-set-permissions/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132124-bizarre-issues-with-small-chests-and-their-permissions/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132088-may-pass-gates-indeed/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132050-unloading-on-my-own-deed-warning-you-currently-do-not-have-permissions-to-re-load-this-item/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132052-attach-locks-permission-for-deed-writ-not-working/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131898-branded-animals/

Of course if someone's been on a vacation with their kids for the past two weeks, thinking "My Wurm deed is locked, it's a PvE server, should be fine when I come back", and finds they've been robbed in the past days, guessing it's "there" fault right?

Edited by Mordraug

@Druidnature You make good points about the intentionally destroying land aspect.

I have had my share of that around my deeds. It did irk me at first so I would expand my deed to stop what they were doing, then I realized.. while they are doing all of that, they are wasting their time when they could be doing something productive and at the same time, I was wasting valuable time and silver to stop them. 

At that point, I changed my strategy. Let them waste their time and break themselves as they throw themselves at my deed perimeter. I would continue doing what I wanted and working on my projects, simply ignoring their efforts. Guess what... they always get bored and went away. After they would leave, I would go out and reclaim the land, plant trees, or revert back to sand.

This also was beneficial to me as I got some really good skill gains out of fixing what they messed up. 

• Like 1

Nice snark there Mordraug. See the 5% part that I spoke of that you conveniently glossed over.

I'm pretty sure that the dev's and GM's have realized at this point that the roll out of the new perms could have been handled much better.

How they handle it now is a reflection on them, not other players.

my projects that are visible to a large range of players and which are feeling meaningfull on the official servers, since everyone knows the difficulty of "normal wurm".

my friends in wurm and the time I have spent with them to create things together :)

also some form of insanity keeps me playing (if i get the time for it)

both, ill be on WU and WO sametime, multiboxing mwhahahaha!

both, ill be on WU and WO sametime, multiboxing mwhahahaha!

That's playing two characters.

Multiboxing is when all your presses go to both at once. ;) (and stupidly fun!)

What would have kept me around..

- Griefers (blanket term) either getting the boot where they currently walk away untouched and/or "Go retaliate, he's all yours we won't intervene there either".

- PvP & PvE changes being kept separate.

- And oh yeah... the ability to suggest stuff for PvE without having to answer to a playstyle I never had interest in to begin with.

WU solves that nicely ^_^

Bye.

Hi,

I'll keep playing Wurm Online until my dear friends/ allys there start vanishing, and maybe some time more. In my book the best part of Wurm is the community, and this includes crazy good friends as well as designated a******s. This is what makes this game lively, and worth to spend your time.

I'd not even think of a single player version of Wurm, or a "your server" version.

My 2 iron coins. Have a good time!

PS: I don't know what to think about WU yet. But I'm not sure if it's really a good move.

Hoping that everything what is add into game will be advisable.

I also like the fact that Wurm Online is a professionally run business that has been around for many years and been gradually improved all those years to the point where the Developers have been able to release this new branch of Wurm Unlimited. This is a far cry from any person attempting to offer anything equal to it with the new WU being released to everyone. It is not very hard to figure out which will offer the most stability, improvement and access to all going forward.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

I will be here until WO dies. Then I guess the WU files might be useful for me to keep playing at that point. Really unless your playing by yourself what maybe 1 out of 200 Public WU servers will be reliable enough to be around for any length of time. Which I guess would be fine for maybe servers setup like Challenge.

• Like 1

There's two main things I love about Wurm Online. Playing with an old friend (Tristanc, who's been a friend of mine for over 15 years) on our deed, and being in a world that has been shaped by other players, which makes me feel like I'm in a living world. I wouldn't get either joy out of WU. 

I do plan to eventually buy it, however. To support the devs and to fool around with. But I definitely do not see myself making the full switch. 

• Like 1

Easy one to answer.

WU will keep me on WO because its not available for Linux!

Same here

I would like to harvest enough silver within WO though to pay premium (after a couple of years...)