Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

What Will Keep You Playing Wurm Online?

1. PvP: I'd imagine that very few if any WU servers will reach the populations present on WO's pvp servers.  Without many people, it would be difficult to make pvp/raiding meaningful or enjoyable.

Community: The people who I enjoy playing with will continue to play WO, and so will I.

Investment: Like many people, I've bought accounts. I plan on playing my accounts and have fun in doing so, rather than giving up on them to play WU

Don't get me wrong, I think I'll probably try WU, likely to play a Challenge type server every once in awhile, but I'd be playing primarily WO.  I thought it was really fun to take a break from Epic for a little bit to play Challenge 1 with all of its fast paced action and skillgain, but I prefer Epic for long term play.  To me Wurm's Challenge was a lot like League of Legends' Ultra Rapid Fire.  A fun gamemode to play every once in awhile for a bit of added fun and excitement, but not something you would want to play all the time, since you would probably get bored eventually after feeling like you've done everything and "beat the game" in a way.  Fortunately, WU looks like it will offer a good alternative to Challenge, now that it looks like WO is no longer hosting that event.  Judging by threads and recruitment websites I've seen, I know of at least three servers that will be based on Challenge :)

didnt you sell

• Like 1

Nothing the game itself has offered me has ever kept me playing the game, just the people i play with (incl enemy kingdoms). If they play, I play, if they quit, I'll likely quit.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

So, I am wondering what will keep people playing Wurm Online when Wurm Unlimited is released.

Although I spend most of my time in-game doing my own thing with little conversation with others, I do like the fact that they are around playing the game, building and shaping the environment. Then I can travel around the local area and observe their progress, admiring what they have accomplished. I have always preferred MMO's because the many players contribute a diverse sort of life to the game, Wurm exhibiting this more than others since players transform the servers by their efforts.

Now joining someone else's server in WU would not appeal to me because then I would be under their approval and control in some manner to remain there, where with Wurm if I just pay my way and don't grief other players that is enough and I don't need any further approval. So joining someone's WU server is not something I would even consider.

Then there is the appeal of playing WU as a single player game on one's private server that would be totally built by one's own creative efforts and design, which nobody else could mess with. Yet I remember the isolating feeling of Skyrim where the world seemed an empty place because of the lack of other players within it. So, I can see myself playing WU to create my own world undisturbed but for my "people fix" I imagine I would continue playing Wurm Online.

What say you?

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Sounds like you needed to install this mod for Skyrim. http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-lands-roads-paths-rs/

Makes the world more full, of course it is still a single player game.

edit: fixed link

Edited by BuddyDude

Friends, fun and frivolity . As Always.

Heck my little space of time in  Wurm is not changing, I still plan  on having way too much fun goofing off. :P

• Like 1

Community, whether it's alliance members, random neighbours, or just random people selling their junk. It makes the game come alive.

That being said, I'll be playing both because I have a number of interested friends who did not like Wurm Online (griefing) and who left. It's a great opportunity for them to still enjoy the game and not have to worry about that. Maybe they'll even come back. 

• Like 1

I know there are people that will make a server in WU with their friends, but the people I have met and made friends with on WO makes WU nowhere comparable to WO.

There are a million games out there with faster skill gain out there, I get bored of them and come back to WO progression.

For me, wurm is about the people and the history created by all here. For one I wouldn't trust a player driven server to keep it going or not wipe it.

WU wil be basically a toy and I have nothing against it and I feel the people who really care about community will still be here and the people who want their cake and eat it will leave and make a WU server.

I will be buying WU though.

• Like 2

I'm staying for the community. As much as I would love a server with faster action timers, I love the community more. Playing Wurm completely solo is pointless, IMO. 

didnt you sell

Sold 1 account... after I bought two three.

Where u been lol

Edit: forgot about one of them :P

Edited by Alexgopen

(From a previous post of similar thought.. yes, it's a cut and paste but no less applicable to this thread)

I will continue plodding along until the Wurm servers go dark. If all that is left is WU, I'll find something else to do.

I do appreciate that Rolf & Dev's are keeping the 2 separate. I see the WU as being a flash in the pan for the majority of gamers who appreciate a challenge in what they do as having the ability to run in "God Mode" (IDDQD, IDKFA ruined Doom for me) gets boring very quickly. By keeping them apart I can still grind away as I have been.

On the other hand, it may have the Wurm Sandbox experienced by a larger potential market base and those that are looking for the challenge, will migrate to Wurm proper and learn just how gnarly the huge spiders can be when you are running about naked and afraid.

It will be interesting to watch how Wurm and WU evolve. Will they grow as one and create a symbiotic, mutually beneficial game environment? Or, will one leach the energy out of each other and send it to the round bin of gamers Hell? Maybe both?

Good luck, I'll just keep digging and building until the lights go out.

• Like 2

Dont know what will keep me in the game. The last months I have only logged in to meditate.

I was hoping for 3d caves, NPCs mobs on freedom, combat overhaul or something similar.

All we got was this singleplayer version of the game which I dont see the point with. So Im pretty much "Meh." towards this game at the moment.

Easy one to answer.

WU will keep me on WO because its not available for Linux!

That and the community I'm a part of.

Interesting comments. Although some have taken the divergent path in my attempt here to elicit positive comments on continuing to play Wurm Online when WU is released, all who responded have given further insight into their viewpoints, revealing a bit of their nature in the process. Hopefully those that stick around will continue to make Wurm the unique place that it is, transferred from their imagination through their fingertips to the screen.

As my old imaginary friend would say of human nature and interactions, Fascinating!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

1. People to talk to

2. Chainsmithing

3. WU looks like it would last as long as Minecraft gameplay-wise.

The real MMO experience will keep me playing WO. WU most likely will be somewhat fun at times, maybe for a quick COD style gameplay if a server comes out like that, but I highly doubt any server will grow to means of 1000 players. There simply won't be that same feel.

What would have kept me around..

- Griefers (blanket term) either getting the boot where they currently walk away untouched and/or "Go retaliate, he's all yours we won't intervene there either".

- PvP & PvE changes being kept separate.

- And oh yeah... the ability to suggest stuff for PvE without having to answer to a playstyle I never had interest in to begin with.

WU solves that nicely ^_^

• Like 1

Most of my alliance is switching to WU because it is cheaper than WO. I will likely play both but downsize number of characters and deeds on WO. I think the cost of silver for deed upkeep and prem is a drain for a lot of people who don't have the time or inclination for the in-game economics. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping this month's premium is the last I'll be paying for - I've been looking forward to WU for some time because it's a cheaper alternative and because the server can be tweaked to something less resembling a full-time job and more like recreation/casual play.  If I can find 20+ folks to play with on a private server on a regular basis, I see no reason to continue in WO. 

Two major things thats making me go to WU:

-Staff can basically do or call you whatever and be void of any punishment whatsoever. Been lied to in support ticket, told to stfu in a support ticket and have been told to gtfo over forums. Reported it and got told "They have a strong personality"

-Community is in 3 parts. 45% trolls, 45% white knights, and 10% chill people. If you aint trollin or white knighting the next person who over charged someone for a knarr, your basically an outcast. Iv met lots of people in this community, and i can count how many people who just want to play wurm, Not make money, not be 110% efficiency, just chill and play. 

The amount of people is 6 btw

Edited by akaedis

I'll be playing away to try testing skills at high-end to find out a few myths (especially priest). I'll be using it as a playground for testing.

But reason why I'm staying here? It's like Ark, or MC. It gets boring after a while - especially when made to easy - a lot of people (heck myself included) hate the speed of wurm, but it's what makes it last so long.

If I played WU i'd likely end up with everything near instant, and at that point nothing remains fun for long.

+ I see WU only really for private groups (which I probably would love if all my friends came and brought there characters) and those not able to spend the money (omg that would help me so much...). And WO being the real game.

So I'll stick here, and use WU to figure out what to push skill wise or item wise next. (+ I ain't leavin poor WO's wildlife all alone! The bison need hugs!!!)

going to play WU because of total fresh start and bigger probability of more players - i did not like how most of wu seems developed and deeded (unless you traveled for ages to the middle xana) and yet for all the buildings i could go for hours along the coast without seeing more than 1 person in local.

I've already found a WU community thats going to have a good setup by th look of it. Skill gain about 2 or 3 times faster than WO (WO was REALLY slow but i dont want stupidly fast progression that would detract from accomplishing things).

Also the chance of mods meaning i could sit in a chair or do other cool stuff is a plus.

WU is a fantastic development, but I will be staying on WO. What will keep me here are my character, my skills, my history, the interractivity with others in an official setting, the stability of the servers, the lack of worry that servers may disappear and of course - Celebration! :)

• Like 2