Sign in to follow this  
Robique

No CoC water for smithing?

Is there a reason why smithing skills should be excluded from the effect of coc enchanted water?

• Like 1

There's no reason.

Having said that, it'll never be fixed. It's one of the bugs that have been ignored for years.

if you cast woa on the item youre imping the imp goes faster with water, doesn't work with coc tho.

Seems a bit late to suddently go fixing this now..

I've heard a theory that the quenching action uses the item you're quenching as the active item, not the water you're quenching it into.  So for quenching, it's the CoC on whatever you're quenching that counts, not the CoC on the water. 

Assuming this is correct, it's always seemed a bit out of step with the rest of smithing to me, so I'd be happy for it to change so that CoC water works as expected.

• Like 1

if you cast woa on the item youre imping the imp goes faster with water, doesn't work with coc tho.

Seems a bit late to suddently go fixing this now..

And that's a retarded mechanic.

I shouldn't have to blast WOA on a tool that I am imping for a customer, just because I would like it to go a little faster. COC should work on water used for tempering. It works perfectly when using it to wash cloth.

And it's definitely not too late to change it. Why would it be? Is it also too late to allow metal and wood alters to be pushed/pulled? Hell, the devs had no problem changing spyglass distribution/count years later, and that was something that had some kind of economic value.

• Like 1

I've posted this in the "Server bugs" forum.

Don't think it's "too late" to fix this, just cause it was overlooked for years.

I've posted this in the "Server bugs" forum.

Don't think it's "too late" to fix this, just cause it was overlooked for years.

Yeah, but what made you think that your 1 thread out of a million previous ones on this very subject will change anything?  :P 

Seriously though, do a forum search. This has been talked about a lot over the years and nothing has ever been done.

Yeah, but what made you think that your 1 thread out of a million previous ones on this very subject will change anything?  :P 

Seriously though, do a forum search. This has been talked about a lot over the years and nothing has ever been done.

No offense, but that's exactly the kind of thinking that'll never get anything done.

"Oh, people tried before and they failed. There's no point in trying then."

I could do a forum search and necro some buried thread about this, but people usually don't appreciate that sort of thing... weird how that works.

I think this is a pretty major bug affecting core gameplay mechanics. Definitely should be fixed.

"It's been like this for years" is not an excuse.

• Like 3

No, it's not a major bug that affects gameplay mechanics.  A major bug that would affect gameplay mechanics would be for water to suddenly not work AT ALL for trying to improve smithing items.

If you really want to skill grind smithing or one of its subskills, do like everyone else does and imp a stack of items at a time.  Wait until every item in the stack doesn't need to be tempered, then turn on your sleep bonus and proceed imping only tools that don't require being tempered.  Once your stack of items is all ready to be tempered, turn of sleep bonus, temper them all.... rinse and repeat.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing so far.

I don't see any tailor doing that tho.

Why? Cause the same item (coc water) used for the same action (improving) actually works how it should.

I wonder what a DEV has to say on something like this that has been reported a 100 times. There must be a good reason.

I wonder what a DEV has to say on something like this that has been reported a 100 times. There must be a good reason.

I'm sure there's also a good reason on why Nahjo priests STILL can't mine. Pretty sure lots of people reported that issue.

But don't worry, in a couple of years we'll just ignore it altogether, cause it's always been like that.

Anyway, back on topic.

IF in one of those "100" reports is a response of a DEV to this problem, saying it's supposed to be like that, I'd love to see it.

I've heard a theory that the quenching action uses the item you're quenching as the active item, not the water you're quenching it into.  So for quenching, it's the CoC on whatever you're quenching that counts, not the CoC on the water. 

Assuming this is correct, it's always seemed a bit out of step with the rest of smithing to me, so I'd be happy for it to change so that CoC water works as expected.

Indeed, tempering action on a WoA enchanted tool takes slightly less time.

So that theory might be true actually.

Looks like this whole problem might be solved by getting 60 CoC enchants on my grinding tools instead of one on the water.

Edit: Nevermind, doesn't work for CoC enchants... And here I thought we had a really convenient way of solving this!

Edited by Robique

"It's been like this for years" is not an excuse.

He's not suggesting you should let it go because it's been like that for years, he's saying that it's been in need of a fix for years but been ignored so you shouldn't get your hopes up. You're misreading his intentions - He's not the one who won't touch it, the devs are. Like he said: there is no good reason for it to be ignored but it has been for a decade so none of us have any hopes of it ever being fixed (especially since if you do a forum search you'll find lots of threads on it).

Btw, suggestion threads aren't "frowned upon" if you bump, it's generally appreciated unless the suggestion you're bumping is a troll thread.

It seems like it should reduce each time you refill the water though.  Or are we on permanent enchants now?  I can't remember anymore.

He's not suggesting you should let it go because it's been like that for years, he's saying that it's been in need of a fix for years but been ignored so you shouldn't get your hopes up. You're misreading his intentions - He's not the one who won't touch it, the devs are. Like he said: there is no good reason for it to be ignored but it has been for a decade so none of us have any hopes of it ever being fixed (especially since if you do a forum search you'll find lots of threads on it).

Btw, suggestion threads aren't "frowned upon" if you bump, it's generally appreciated unless the suggestion you're bumping is a troll thread.

Was there a response of a dev to any of those threads?

Anything would suffice. Even "We're not looking into this and never will. Make your peace with it."

It seems like it should reduce each time you refill the water though.  Or are we on permanent enchants now?  I can't remember anymore.

Not permanent, but can be refilled without losing power on the coc... much like tools can be repaired.

I've always seen it as "dipping the item into the water" unlike sharpening with a whetstone or hammering with a hammer...

I don't care about this mechanic either way. +/-0

but it would be nice if the action timer of tempering was sped up with overall smithing skill.

• Like 1

but it would be nice if the action timer of tempering was sped up with overall smithing skill.

Yep, that would be nice.

As it is now, only WoA enchantment on the tool that's being tempered speeds up the timer.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing so far.

I don't see any tailor doing that tho.

Why? Cause the same item (coc water) used for the same action (improving) actually works how it should.

Actually, tailors (and ropemakers) do it too.  In ropemaking, for example, you cannot use CoC string, because one improving action with string of cloth would consume the equivalent of 5 pieces of string (combined) AND the string has to be higher quality than the object you're improving.

So yes, when I'm doing tailoring or ropemaking (net traps), I always turn my sleep bonus off when I turn my stack all to string.

Actually, tailors (and ropemakers) do it too.  In ropemaking, for example, you cannot use CoC string, because one improving action with string of cloth would consume the equivalent of 5 pieces of string (combined) AND the string has to be higher quality than the object you're improving.

So yes, when I'm doing tailoring or ropemaking (net traps), I always turn my sleep bonus off when I turn my stack all to string.

String can be combined in the same way as any coc lump.

Activate the small piece of coc string, right-click and 'combine' it with a big merged string that has the quality you need for imping.

Not sure what's the maximum weight of one piece of string, but I just got something over 9kg which is more than enough for any kind of imping action.

So yes, you can use a CoC string.

What he's getting at is that if you combine the string the action consumes more of it than it normally would so in order to use CoC string you must use up at least 5 times as much string as you would if you hadn't combined them.

Well, the fact still stands that he can use a CoC string.

He just chose not to, in order to use up less string than it's supposed to by default.

Same thing can be done with lumps. Bring the weight of the lump down to minimum and then use it to imp a breastplate or something.

Comparing string for tailoring/ropemaking and water for smithing is just another case of "apples and oranges".

Comparing string for tailoring/ropemaking and water for smithing is just another case of "apples and oranges".

Edited by Aeris