Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

A Song of Ice and Wurm: Game of Thrones Mod

I hereby request as a private player,

Someone to make a mod around the theme of the ASOIAF (better known as Game of Thrones) books, with a map like Westeros, and of course fitting kingdoms, titles, maybe weapons and cultures etc.

I don't mind how long it takes.

I am 110% sure it would be popular.

Roleplay compulsory.

Edited by Wossoo
  • Like 8

I believe you should likely raise that to 220% popular, with how popular GoT is atm.............yeah...

Instant popularity. 

• Like 1

+100 paying 30 bucks for this dlc :D

True a mod like this would be very popular and nothing to stop the creator charging for it.

makes me think... i wonder if mods could be installed using unique install keys to ensure purchasing vs copying 

Copyright laws....GoT board and video games already exist so you don't think their lawyers will go after a monetized mod when LotR lawyers go after free mods (which also has commercial games)?  The worst part is they wait for several years of downloads and development so that they can claim more damages!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/05/62775-warner-bros-shut-down-free-skyrim-lord-of-the-rings-mod/.   

Now I plan to rip Morrowind into WU, and would be happy to point you to a map ripper but will not share beyond that because of lawyers like this.

Would Rolf be happy if I write a Wurm copy with a multiplayer Unity engine and rip the maps and textures to compete with WU?   Be easier to get away with as I doubt he has the same corporate lawyers as those empires do.

Edited by yarnevk

Hrm part of the lure of GoT personally is the political drama, back-stabbing, and maneuvering.

Wurm might need some system of inheritance, titles, and the like. However, its not like the game has perma-death for heirs to take over. Such a setup could be handled many ways aside from straight perma: human breeding with players controlling offspring (not the parent players persay) or a player merely gets stripped of land and titles when they die-and-respawn thus passing it on to another player as heir.

Though most schemes would have alts to worry about... perhaps require the same limitations as gains in pvp, and a history of the last ten heirs kept to avoid easy, cheap swapping.

In Crusader Kings II (which has a good GoT mod in fact) you can have someone assassinated to open things up for their younger sibling to take over.

Edited by Karrde

THe map could be made with some westeros height maps. a google search has some pretty good ones. The problem with Wurm is that the maps have to be a square.

+1 if it includes payer breeding (*ahem* to stay close to the source material)

I've looked at the map.  It's doable in World Machine, but would be a lot of work.  As has been pointed out, you'd need a square map,  so regardless if you chose just Westeros or both continents,  there would a lot of wasted space.  Or players would simply need to accept that Essos was truncated.

You'd need a large map size too.   I feel 8k would be bordering on too small,  but that's me. 

The map is only the beginning though.  You need stuff in game. And that's a massive task as I'm finding out with my map.  You need a team of people to build the towns and castles.  I can't even imagine the amount of work that would go into King's Landing. 

Then you need mods.  I'm a mapper, not a madder, so I don't  have a eel for what you need there. 

TL;DR This is a LOT of work.  The map itself is the easy part but would require some compromises. 

Edited by Lichbane

far as the map goes, I think it would be preferable to include the entire world and just waste some space rather than truncate anything out of it. I also think a large map (16k or maybe even larger) would suit it perfectly. It's also kind of a subtext in the spirit of the series that the world is immense and traveling it takes time - often, people embark on journeys to go to someone, for protection, to deliver something (or someone), etc. and don't even know the person they want to see is dead until they arrive.

I actually believe Wurm, as the kind of survival sandbox with pure player influence it is, is perfectly suited to this. If I'm not mistaken, a map of the world has already been created (though I can't remember if it was just Westeros). In time, I'll probably try my hand in some modding like this (I've worked on quite a few Wurm projects but none like this, it would be a big project). But as a newcomer to GoT (not to Wurm) I think I'd like to develop my knowledge of the series more first. ;)

This would be an incredible community feat though if it could be done. I'll sub to this thread to keep with it. As TPAM pointed out, the in-game effort would probably dwarf the work needed on the modding/mapping side of things xD But you have to start somewhere.

It would of course be heavily reliant on RP from its players, you know? Player breeding is of course an option but its also a pretty slippery slope to walk down.

As far as the game goes, though... The kingdoms would be pretty easy to set up by land area... I actually don't even think player breeding would be difficult to make happen. Ravens could replace the in-game mail system. I think the trolls would make pretty good white walkers, especially if you up the difficulty on them considerably. Models/textures on them could be replaced and skinned. They'd be the "oh s*** run away!" monsters even to individual players with max FS/CR. The gods are pretty transparent to the world in both the series and Wurm... That one's pretty interesting to think about.

I think such a server could also enforce restrictions on client-side mods. No livemap, to really (and voluntarily) immerse its players.

This could happen. I may have revived an old thread but this piques my interest.

Edited by Ignacius