Sign in to follow this  
akaedis

WU: Clay - Completed

So i just pmed warlander and found out recipes are server side, So i got a simple mod request here.

? amount of water + 20kg of dirt = 1kg of clay.

Rotab was the first to post the modification, you can find the post here

Edited by akaedis

This is WU mod request section, Not a suggestion board. Dont really get what your -1'ing here

• Like 3

I don't see any reason why people cannot give feedback for mod requests. Any potential modder would want to know what people think beforehand

• Like 1

mate you are getting the full code. few lines and you will have you clay from what ever you want

Depending on how the recipes are stored server side, I may be able to create a GUI that lets you edit them, add new ones or remove ones you don't like. I'll add that to my list, worst case I'll see how hard it will be to make just that change and link the mod here for you.

• Like 1

mate you are getting the full code. few lines and you will have you clay from what ever you want

Well theres no fun in that now is there. The idea behind this is to remove the huge requirement that you must be near clay in order to use anything that requires clay. + Its tough as a noob to build anywhere but near clay. I dont think many of us here find creative mode all too entertaining long term. Believe it or not but in MC, Only time i have ever used creative mode was for a custom map & testing out big redstone designs. 

I don't see any reason why people cannot give feedback for mod requests. Any potential modder would want to know what people think beforehand

Personally i don't see why it would need feedback if it wasn't asked for.

Similar opinion to WTS threads and people start talking about the seller rather then the sale. 

Depending on how the recipes are stored server side, I may be able to create a GUI that lets you edit them, add new ones or remove ones you don't like. I'll add that to my list, worst case I'll see how hard it will be to make just that change and link the mod here for you.

^This, Hvergi you god. 

This would be an amazing tool for the WU community.

not to derail... but without a mod, don't forget you could make items and give them out with the mission ruler.  It may take some getting used to but it is indeed powerful.  You could make a gem that when you examine it, it does something, like spawn clay or another item into your inventory.  Or teleports you somewhere when you examine it.  Not as easy to mass produce if you need to do a bunch of them, but for small custom qty of things to make, it can be done.

good mod idea though.

• Like 2

not to derail... but without a mod, don't forget you could make items and give them out with the mission ruler.  It may take some getting used to but it is indeed powerful.  You could make a gem that when you examine it, it does something, like spawn clay or another item into your inventory.  Or teleports you somewhere when you examine it.  Not as easy to mass produce if you need to do a bunch of them, but for small custom qty of things to make, it can be done.

good mod idea though.

Is the "do something when item is examined" limited to inventory changes or is it capable of doing other things like world modification? Such as spawn a horse(With or without traits) or change the tiles below the player into clay tiles. Or even modify player skills to add skill to it or set it to a specific value. 

getting clay when digging close to the water level would be a more natural way to get clay, you get dirt and some clay

Lot easier to just make a map with a lot more clay, and have the GM put spawn points near clay.   You do not need to design maps and spawn points  like WO did where clay is a designed to be a first challenge for a noob.

getting clay when digging close to the water level would be a more natural way to get clay, you get dirt and some clay

This isn't a bad idea either, Personally if both options could be available i think that'd be a bit better(Recipe since its a bit of a rip off recipe for only 1kg) and this one. 

I'd consider an expansion of the pottery skill more appropriate for a mod than this.  I just don't see widespread usefulness of this, especially since water and dirt really just makes a muddy mess, not clay.  

I'd consider an expansion of the pottery skill more appropriate for a mod than this.  I just don't see widespread usefulness of this, especially since water and dirt really just makes a muddy mess, not clay.  

The intent of the mod isn't for content expansion but more along the lines of removing the horrible restriction for new players/accounts that you absolutely must be near clay to even do anything in wurm. Allowing someone to create/get clay without tile is a good way to fix this, even if the ratio is bad. 

True that water and dirt doesn't make clay, But it is part of the process and that seems sufficient enough. 

Why not just create a new item that allows creation and placement of clay pits in a 3x3 area. add it to the trader so its purchasable. Once I have access to the code I can add this rather easily.

Edited by metis

Why not just create a new item that allows creation and placement of clay pits in a 3x3 area. add it to the trader so its purchasable. Once I have access to the code I can add this rather easily.

That seems like a developed player suggestion, Not that im against it, actually for it tbh but the intent of the request is so if im out in the world and i dont know where clay is, i could quickly craft it, make a bowl and eat or even if a new player joined the server and didn't know where clay was/it was fenced off like most clay areas are, they could easily craft themselves the clay they need for whatever and keep on wurming.

Server admins can decide who gets to GM.  If GM's decide they want spawn to be clay, then they simply need to wave a magic wand.  It really is that simple without changing any game mechanics.  While they are at it the GM can also build all manner of hand holding support at spawn to make noobs happy.

Never viewed clay as hard to get once Wagons and crates came out

• Like 1

Never viewed clay as hard to get once Wagons and crates came out

When your set up and know the map sure its an easy task, But when iv tried getting friends into the game with new alt accounts, we never find clay unless i choose some map i know like the back of my hand like independence.

With WU coming with whole new maps generated by the players, Clay is gonna become a whole new ball game of trying to find, secure and use.

No it is not the case because the GM has a magic wand that can make clay wherever they want. They can also fly around the map and move the spawn points to where there is clay.    If they want noobs that want an easier time on their server, GM's can make it easy for them without having to modify any game mechanics, even go so far as to spawn a giftbox for drake armor at spawn if that is what it takes to make the game easy enough to attract more players.  

How do you think they built the existing WO tutorial?  Did you think that the random number generator gods smiled on them and packed all the resources together in one place?  If you want your spawn to look like the tutorial and they get to keep all their loots you can absolutely make that happen.

Edited by yarnevk

No it is not the case because the GM has a magic wand that can make clay wherever they want. They can also fly around the map and move the spawn points to where there is clay.    If they want noobs that want an easier time on their server, GM's can make it easy for them without having to modify any game mechanics, even go so far as to spawn a giftbox for drake armor at spawn if that is what it takes to make the game easy enough to attract more players.  

How do you think they built the existing WO tutorial?  Did you think that the random number generator gods smiled on them and packed all the resources together in one place?  If you want your spawn to look like the tutorial and they get to keep all their loots you can absolutely make that happen.

Not gonna use GM powers just to get what i want or what a casual player needs. The intent of the original post was to create a half-way between cheating and legitimate wurm gameplay.

The suggestion to allow bits of clay when digging near water is a good example of this half way.

• Like 1

So if I make a waterlogged map that has lots of clay by definition that is cheating?   If I use map rules to flag spawn locations that are near clay and iron that is cheating?  When Rolf distributed marble so everyone could have it on their deed, that was cheating?  If I make a map without slopes that drain stamina and lots of canals and boats so you can easily trade, is that cheating?  Or is it just good map design that accounts for the needs of gameplay?   When the GM hardens a freedom highway so it cannot be greifed, is that cheating?  When the CA logins her priest alts at spawn to handout conversions is that cheating?

That is why the GM's have the wands because they realize the map generators do not always make a playable map.   It is no more cheating than making a noob village at spawn with mines already dugout to iron nodes, and a bartender to keep you fed, or a tutorial village to teach you the game mechanics.   All of that is the GMs and CAs accomodating the needs of players to make it more noob friendly.  So instead you want to add new mechanics to the game to pretend you are not cheating ignoring the fact that the game already has GM features to accomodate the needs of players without needing new game mechanics.

Edited by yarnevk

Simple fact clay is a resource, WO tried to make things pseudo realistic. Dirt + water = mud not clay.

^indeed you are not making the game better by replacing clay as a resource, because with this mod any clay tile is now a waste of space that was better off being watered dirt.  You also have a buggier map because watered dirt tends to grow grass and trees in water (tile height checks are done at the NW corner).  So I tried very hard to replace watered shore dirt with clay on my maps to avoid that bug and be more noob friendly, but now you do not like my map because the other maps with watered dirt is easier to make clay.   

now a more realistic mod that allows one to make things out of dried mud - such as bowls, bricks, pavers, and wallls would be more interesting, and deepen and widen gameplay.  They would have a disadvantage compared to clay and rock in that they crumble more easily - repair cost more QL and it decays faster.  Combined with clay and thatch you can create more durable adobe which leads to an entire new tile set for buildings that would be the best building in the desert (if regional weather existed.)

Edited by yarnevk