Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Manual

SInce Rolf has a penchant for letting people find things out for themselves I'm kinda worried this will extend to how WU works. For instance, will we have an explanation of how to change how things happen like weather, mobs, decay, stuff like that? Or will we have to find out all the important stuff on our own. I hope not since it's a $30 game instead of a $20 game. 

• Like 2

I'd have thought that a manual like this would be void because server hosts can change any of the parameters.

I think it should be up to server hosts to write a manual for their particular server, or construct a tutorial map for their users.

I just reread your post. I'd think that people will produce a manual on how to tweak things as mods are developed. Some of us are waiting for simple things like "map making for dummies" and someone is developing a mod to import toon stats (or any state) into wu.

The things you mention wanting a manual for are things buried in the server code and GM wands do not affect.  I expect that as the modders dig into things they may make guides for where things are and how to tweak, but no such manuals exist right now and the Devs are busy making the game ready for release.  This is a built game with existing mechanics.  It may allow modding but it is not designed or was ever developed in the past to go in that direction.  So while it may go there in future and have official supported functions, it may take some time to unravel things in the beginning.

I think what the OP is asking is whether all the parameters/variables/settings that we imagine will be available to tweak the server, like skill gain ratio, gauges, will be fully documented by release. I'm torn, on the one hand I hope they will be, on the other I'd rather the powers that be to carry on with the coding. I hope that the parameter names are long and in English, instead of short and acronymic and in Swedish :).

Just to build on what MD was saying -its going to be a very difficult transition as Wurm was never designed to be modded. However, the direction everyone is wanting to take it is clear and there needs to be some real thought put into "OFFICAL" modding support. GUIs that allow you to instantly change as many aspects as possible of Wurm to suit individual wants/ needs / desires. The big issue with modders doing these things is that when updates come out there will be an extremely high probability of messing up a lot of the mods, whereas if those items are "OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED" then the devs can code around them and then updates wont be such a danger to people running thier own servers or people just adding in mods.

I personally would like to see a road map for modding going forward on WU. I know what Rolf has said, but I think the popularity of being able to use WU as a platform to build the game you really want to play is bigger than what he might have expected.

Itll mean they have to rewrite large portions of the code...but lets face it....thats been needed for a very long time.

Edited by sunsvortex

Where it is feasible to do so, we are exposing parameters via a server GUI. Obviously those mechanics which are controllable via simple variables are the first to be visible, while others that are more involved and will require more complex changes will have to be prioritised. Personally I hope we will end up with a cleaner, more modular codebase that will be easy to mod and will provide long term maintenance benefits to both WU and WO, but it's a long road ahead. Documentation is definitely a must but is a multi-stage process, pinning down and pulling out the relevant technical information, turning that dev-speak into something more understandable, turning reference documentation into actual player-friendly instructions before release.

• Like 2

Where it is feasible to do so, we are exposing parameters via a server GUI. Obviously those mechanics which are controllable via simple variables are the first to be visible, while others that are more involved and will require more complex changes will have to be prioritised. Personally I hope we will end up with a cleaner, more modular codebase that will be easy to mod and will provide long term maintenance benefits to both WU and WO, but it's a long road ahead. Documentation is definitely a must but is a multi-stage process, pinning down and pulling out the relevant technical information, turning that dev-speak into something more understandable, turning reference documentation into actual player-friendly instructions before release.

Awesome. It sounds like there is a plan and we are headed that way. Cant say how encouraging and exciting it is to read this. That it takes a while is np, That were actually going to go down this road is just damn awesome.