Sign in to follow this  
ownerpure5

Ultimate Plan for Advertisement

I said this in the IRC and got Warlander to partially agree with me. The best way to get this game exposed would be to offer free early copies to big names on Youtube in exchange that they would make gameplay videos on it. I've seen countless small indie games get a fair amount of traffic because their developers did something as such. I say it my friends, this is the way to do it! Imagine, imagine big youtubers create their own dedicated servers and invite their fans in much like what is happening in games such as Terraria or Minecraft. As a result, more money for Code club, which will benefit in the development of both Unlimited and Online! Also more players which mean more capable modders!

Edited by ownerpure5

I am all for advertisement of both WU and WO - I think that letting media know that the game exists (and they can play it) is most likely the most effective way to advertise it. :)

We need to advertise game in many different ways of course. :)

+1 a single copy to a single person can be a big thing with the right people.

• Like 2

The thing you do not realize is the big names on twitch and youtube that can give real exposure require you to PAY them AND provide a copy of the game for them. They only play games for free when it is something their viewers want them to play.

• Like 1

Do you think said big youtubers will bother setting up server and play as a community to see what's what? Do you think they will even get into WU is? We are here drooling our mouths off because we've been through the WO grind, we hang around past the first hours and saw some wonderful things but ultimately for one reason or another couldn't take some of its "features" anymore. So WU is the occasion for us to fix this or that and go back into the old Wurm feeling.

What default settings do you imagine will WU ship with? The original WO or the completely unsucked ones that most people are waiting to play with? From the general youtube population I cannot imagine a reaction different from "lol, empty and sucks donkey balls, back to MSGV" or whatever the fad will be in two weeks. And with November 10th being one month away, everyone is more likely to be playing advanced copies of Fallout 4.

Also, one has to be sure that WU is already in a good playable state before release and come on, between you and me, do you really think it will not be a crash fest for the first months? ;) (even worse: a server crash fest) Reports from youtubers that this is an unplayable buggy mess will, ahem, doom this game for all eternity. Seriously, people have large backlogs and wishlists these days (I have 88 games in mine on Steam), they don't give "unplayable buggy messes" a second chance.

So I wish you guys are careful when poking the youtube bear.

• Like 3

Your best bet is to hit up the Youtube minecraft community to try out Notches first game, they will do it for that reason itself just out of curiosity, as I bet many of them have no idea this every existed.  Targeted contacts to them with a free game key is likely the only investment needed, and it does not hurt if you are already in their community to suggest the game (but it does hurt if you are an outsider!)  Maybe you only get a weeks exposure from most, but the right people will get addicted and start an LP.  Grind is a non-issue as they will play it at Challenge accelerated levels just so that they can produce more daily content, making it as fast as Minecraft.   Both steam and youtube will suggest like games for figuring out what your key targets should be, it should be easy for Wurm PR to compile that list.

Many of those Minecrafters are now playing Ark Survival Evolved and trying out more open world survival grindy games, but good luck finding Twitch streaming something other than the faster paced tournament mode - the market to watch somebody chop trees is very very very small.  Getting the wrong people in the wrong place to play this game just because they are popular will do more harm than good.  They have to like this type of game to begin with.

So stay away from Twitch - their attention span is not long enough for this game as they quickly move onto the next hot game everyone else is playing.  Youtube has long established LP series that will stick with a game well past their monthly expiration date on Twitch, with the more successful ones editing out all the grindy parts to serve up a daily 20m video.

Edited by yarnevk

I plan to live stream WU on YT and post shortened down video blogs. It's something that I've been wanting to do for a while. Purchased a blue yeti mic last black Friday, currently having a games room built as an extension which should be finished in about a week. Also purchased a 4k camera from Sony (axp33) last week and have WU pre ordered :)

Not sure if Rolf would want to advertise it as 'Come play Notch's first game!' for obvious reasons, however it is probably the best route to get people interested.

I'm not sure about advertising to the minecraft community though...not exactly the same playerbase as Wurm.

Not sure if Rolf would want to advertise it as 'Come play Notch's first game!' for obvious reasons, however it is probably the best route to get people interested.

I'm not sure about advertising to the minecraft community though...not exactly the same playerbase as Wurm.

But 25x skilling and remove timers....it becomes minecraft with tiles rather than blocks.  This is about WU not WO.  It even has creative and adventure mode, where do you think Rolf got that idea?

Edited by yarnevk

Regarding the utilization of Youtube and Twitch for getting the word out, I think Trove could serve as a good example of what works.  They offered anyone who streams the game regularly codes that could be redeemed for unlocking an exclusive mount (and later an exclusive pair of wings) with the expectation that the streamers use them for on-stream giveaways.  It really helped get the game some exposure while helping new streamers get a foothold towards partnership.  

An enterprising full conversion modder could also make PVP tournament islands.  Ramp skilling up even faster than Challenge was to make it into a weekend event.  You could make it so the champion gets to set sail to the next ladder island in the tournament as the closing shot, make people fight to get to the boat first.

It worked for ARK Survival Evolved and it is now becoming a regular Survival of the Fittest esport that they use to promote the main game (new bosses introduced in the esport version first)   It was not even their original idea, the popular battle royal modes of other FPS survival games was in fact mods that became biz.    Athough ripping off Hunger Games with the central drop for noob loot did make it different, most battle royale starts people distributed around the map.  I have also seen minecraft modders recreate this tournament format.  

I am personally not convinced that a shoutcaster reading the dice roll combat log makes for entertainment, but hey WO PVP players seem to think so since they post combat logs on the forum.  A good shoutcaster can make drying paint sound exciting..,.

People will go back and watch all the VODS just so they can see the kills from both sides.  broadcasters make more money and produce more tournament content, new players get into the faster paced game which leads to the rest of the game modes.  The system feeds itself.

Edited by yarnevk

+1 a single copy to a single person can be a big thing with the right people.

This is the best idea I think I've ever heard.

This is the best idea I think I've ever heard.

But aren't the most well known and influential youtubers making millions? Would they even bother about saving $30 on a game?

But aren't the most well known and influential youtubers making millions? Would they even bother about saving $30 on a game?

This is a big common misconception. Many youtubers make a little amount of money in the grand scheme of things. It may seem like they get a lot of money, But a lot of it is taxed off aswell they need to pay for thumbnails, animations and whatever else. Only a few youtubers actually make "millions". 

While this doesn't include patreon & donations, But youtube itself isn't that profitable as it used to be. If your looking to make money, Go to twitch, play old school runescape and gamble in the duel arena. Thousands of IRL cash flows through that place daily. A old friend bought a new computer a few years back just from gambling there. To add onto this, if your a girl, go webcam, you get free items that are worth 100$ USD+ daily. 

Anyways, back to topic. Youtubers are always looking for the "Next Big Thing" or even good content to put on there channel. So a youtuber would consider doing A video on wurm just to see the interest in it. If it fails well it was worth a shot for them. 

But the real difficulty isn't in getting a youtuber to do a video on it, Its actually just dependent on Rolf & CC in "How far do we want to go with this youtuber" in terms & conditions. Like does this youtuber get X amount of profits from each sale during the month the video went live. 

Its all up to Rolf in this department to take a leap of faith and hope for good rewards. 

The thing you do not realize is the big names on twitch and youtube that can give real exposure require you to PAY them AND provide a copy of the game for them. They only play games for free when it is something their viewers want them to play.

frankly the best possible advertising would be if wurm showed up on the first google page when searching for "sandbox mmo"

frankly the best possible advertising would be if wurm showed up on the first google page when searching for "sandbox mmo"

It is 4th to me.

Getting a non wurm fan to promote WU or WO on twitch or youtube is the worst idea ever. Normally the crowd that follows a channel is in to the same game style and play as the streamer. So Even if you pay a person to stream it and they don't like it odds is there fan base want either and thats a lot of negativity towards WURM period. Of course they will stream it for the moeny thats why there into stream to begin with is the money and attention they get. This doesn't stop them from sayiong negative things about the game while they stream it.

Best promotions you can do is bundle packages and fan advertisment. Other ideas is fan made videos  posted on wurm web site in a videos link so people can get a better view of the game as it's played.

Another post about the same thing from you? Did your first post on this not get the reaction you wanted? There should be something against a person posting more than one post on the same topic. This was the original post talking about same thing.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132090-pre-release-stream/

Edited by Arkonick

It is 4th to me.

Google algorithm takes many things into account (especially user data - if you are logged into a Google account or have active cookies), but it's 7th for me.