Sign in to follow this  
Jonneh

Wyvern

1 hour ago, Sturmwolf said:

It was free as it was WU - no monthly fee. But I would gladly have donated to keep the server around. I worked on my deed for over 10 months, and spent 2.400+ hours just on that server. 

The admins made some independent coding and items themselves it seems. 

Seeing Sindusk saying it can't be restored wothout the coding from Jonneh and Graham pretty much kill the game for me. I don't want to go through such an experience again. I joined Wyvern because of a promise of a stable server that wouldn't be shut down without notice just like other private servers, as Bobob is now fearing. I can't say I blame him after this. 

Don't fret just yet. After a few hours of messing around, the PvE server is now functional and stable. The only downside so far is that all Depth Drills had to be deleted. Currently working on getting the mods that made the server what it was back in order so we can actually have it up and running within a reasonable timeframe. Maybe a day or two. Possibly less. Who knows.

EDIT: Things are actually going exceptionally well. I am pretty confident we'll be able to get the server up and running so people can at least play in the next day or two.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 2

I played on this server for quite a while near it's inception and until not too long ago still had my deed there. It was fun in the beginning when WU was released with the increased timers and skills. Later I played on a few more WU servers at the same time and they had more advanced skill gains and mod options so I lost interest in playing here.

Best approach I have found is to play on several at once that appeal to your style and if one or two go down you have others of interest to continue playing on. Then realize than there is no guarantee that any WU servers will last permanently since they really are just charitable institutions run by other people for their own particular desires. Once those wane or are no longer satisfying to them it's bye, bye. Have fun on them while they last is I think the best you can hope for to not be disappointed if/when they shut down.

=Ayes=

11 minutes ago, Ayes said:

I played on this server for quite a while near it's inception and until not too long ago still had my deed there. It was fun in the beginning when WU was released with the increased timers and skills. Later I played on a few more WU servers at the same time and they had more advanced skill gains and mod options so I lost interest in playing here.

Best approach I have found is to play on several at once that appeal to your style and if one or two go down you have others of interest to continue playing on. Then realize than there is no guarantee that any WU servers will last permanently since they really are just charitable institutions run by other people for their own particular desires. Once those wane or are no longer satisfying to them it's bye, bye. Have fun on them while they last is I think the best you can hope for to not be disappointed if/when they shut down.

=Ayes=

We could pick up the trend of just resurrecting old servers like Garrys mod, But this would only work if people were willing enough to upload there servers before they shut it down for good. 

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Don't fret just yet. After a few hours of messing around, the PvE server is now functional and stable. The only downside so far is that all Depth Drills had to be deleted. Currently working on getting the mods that made the server what it was back in order so we can actually have it up and running within a reasonable timeframe. Maybe a day or two. Possibly less. Who knows.

EDIT: Things are actually going exceptionally well. I am pretty confident we'll be able to get the server up and running so people can at least play in the next day or two.

You're a real hero Sindusk. I know you had pretty much moved on from the server, so for you to step up like this and try to revive it is really amazing. I appreciate all the hard work you are putting in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Sindusk, as you could fix the PVE, is there any chance to upload the fixed files so players like me can continue playing on it as a private server? Or it isnt possible because you remade some of the mods they used so it wont be compatible with other mods? I think i'll never want to play again on a public server so if I cant continue, I'll make a new map or use the original wywern map then start from zero on private. But after my ~1900 invested hours to Wyvern it would be better to "just" continue alone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobob said:

Sindusk, as you could fix the PVE, is there any chance to upload the fixed files so players like me can continue playing on it as a private server? Or it isnt possible because you remade some of the mods they used so it wont be compatible with other mods? I think i'll never want to play again on a public server so if I cant continue, I'll make a new map or use the original wywern map then start from zero on private. But after my ~1900 invested hours to Wyvern it would be better to "just" continue alone.

Of course, I'd encourage you to play on the relaunched server when it's ready. However, I can understand your position after what happened with the original Wyvern. I also have put in ~2500 hours into playing on Wyvern, achieving great high points and extraordinary lows (which are now deleted along with the Wyvern forums). Because of this, you can download the repaired databases here:

Wyvern Databases - Repaired (Google Drive, 141MB)

The above includes the PvE and PvP databases, both repaired of invalid items. Be warned: they are horribly unoptimized and may require a lot of power from your hardware to run on local machine. The Wyvern devs were known for letting the server run for months at a time, and never maintained the database properly. Loading took ~10 minutes on my state of the art machine, and is taking about 15-20 minutes even on the server after doing our own optimization of the databases.

Because the databases are out in the open, there is no point in hiding the information from anyone. For that reason, I created a spreadsheet with "high scores" for skills from players on the original Wyvern server, as well as a log of all kills that occurred. You can see the results below:

Wyvern High Skill Scores (Google Sheets)

For the current status of the server, Riojax has made a payment on a new domain for the new Wyvern website, and is hard at work at getting it up and running with a forum and livemap. We are currently in the process of speeding up the server as well - the Wyvern developers seem to have been lazy in maintaining the server (obvious), and the deficiencies seem to have been made up for by sheer processing power. We'll need a bit more time before it's fast enough to handle many concurrent players, but I am optimistic about launching later tonight or tomorrow.

Although I can't promise the new Wyvern will be around forever, I can promise you that we will not be handling it like the original owners. We have our own ideas for the future and intend to actually develop the server, instead of turning it on and checking in every few months.

EDIT: To add on to this, we will not be relaxed in hiring community members to assist with managing the server. We will be promoting CA's, CM's, and GM's to assist with management quickly and intelligently. It wont be a false promise.

Edited by Sindusk

Just as speechless I was when I saw that the old Wyvern server had just been turned off and removed,I'm now again reading this. This is awesome news! Thanks Sindusk and Riojax, that is just fantastic guys. Looking forward to experiencing it again :D 

Wurm truly have an awesome community!! :lol: 

Taking a bit longer than expected. We needed better hardware than what we had in Europe. The new Wyvern will be located in Canada. Sorry if that inconveniences anyone. The ping from Spain seems to be ~100-110ms, so it's still not awful.

EDIT: Server migration is complete. Stability is at a point where we can do a dryrun/test. I will open the server for a brief period tomorrow sometime around ~4-5PM EST after I get home from work, and we'll give it a shot for a few hours. Chances are, we will want to take it down for the night afterwards to do some final tweaks to get it properly functional, then have a full launch on October 13th. It'll also give some time to talk to the players interested in playing on the server, so I can get a good idea of what type of vision they have for the future of Wyvern and discuss what's possible.

If a few key people that I have in mind show up, I have some initial thoughts for our first CM's right off the bat. Hope to see you guys tomorrow. I'm off to bed and work tomorrow. :)

Edited by Sindusk

Using the fixed Items DB, I'm getting a "bind" error when starting the server.

Anybody know why?

Error snippet below:

[11:39:32 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.Server: Shutting down the server - reason: Problem running the server - Cannot assign requested address: bind
[11:39:32 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.Server: Shutting down the server - cause: 
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)

I've looked up the error, and it seems to be related to a port that is being used by another app, and failing to bind that port for the server.

I can't find any other instance of the default port being used by anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Needed to point to local IP instead of *actual* "External" IP address.

Edited by Xaphod

Surprised your trying to transfer the full server - the original code, Sindusk as the map was getting bloated from old deeds and items

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting as the server files can allow you to play as anyone and tell peoples steam ID and figure out everyone alt accounts

Warning will take around 15-30 minutes to load server for most people

------------------------------------------------------------------

Keenan  [developer] Oct 31, 2015 @ 10:51pm 
As the reply above me states, characters are bound to your Steam ID. It's the long numerical version of your Steam ID.

Players can "transfer" their accounts to other players by using:
/password <current SteamID> <new owner's SteamID>

As for the mayors, you can use a level 5 GM account to set these to your SteamID and log them in.

Example: 
#changepassword Ceyer <your SteamID>
Edited by enoofu

On 10/9/2016 at 9:37 PM, akaedis said:

Give it a year. You won't be. First year or two in WO Is fun, After that its like why do i even bother paying for this game anymore

Doubtful. It ain't going anywhere, no matter how much the veterans complain "Wurm is dying".

That, and if you stop enjoying it no one is forcing you to continue with your premium.

wyvern stats

PVE      PVP

Characters Created

10632  1492

Deeds Created

885 107

still quite  a lot even when some are player alts

Spotted a server named "Wyvern Reborn" - Is this the actual server? I figure the password protection will disappear when it launches. 

2 hours ago, enoofu said:

wyvern stats

PVE      PVP

Characters Created

10632  1492

Deeds Created

885 107

still quite  a lot even when some are player alts

Would be interesting to see those stats broken down by rough monthly or quarterly timeline.

1 hour ago, Sturmwolf said:

Spotted a server named "Wyvern Reborn" - Is this the actual server? I figure the password protection will disappear when it launches. 

Yes this is the server. I'm going to remove the password and allow players in right now. I'll keep the server open for the night to see how it runs. If all goes well, we'll leave it on and keep it going. It may take some time before things are running normally again.

Edit: Server is now up and running. I'll be chilling in the chat to talk to anyone who wants to join in and discussing where the server will be going from here.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 2:57 PM, Sturmwolf said:

It was free as it was WU - no monthly fee. But I would gladly have donated to keep the server around. I worked on my deed for over 10 months, and spent 2.400+ hours just on that server. 

The admins made some independent coding and items themselves it seems. 

Seeing Sindusk saying it can't be restored wothout the coding from Jonneh and Graham pretty much kill the game for me. I don't want to go through such an experience again. I joined Wyvern because of a promise of a stable server that wouldn't be shut down without notice just like other private servers, as Bobob is now fearing. I can't say I blame him after this. 

Nice deed you have Sturmwolf as I played you on my personal copy of Wyvern for a few minutes

1 hour ago, enoofu said:

Nice deed you have Sturmwolf as I played you on my personal copy of Wyvern for a few minutes

Thanks. It's hard work keeping it repaired and such though :) 

The official and public server is up and running now, and working perfectly for me, and without any lag even though the server is in Canada, and I'm in Europe. 

22 hours ago, enoofu said:

Surprised your trying to transfer the full server - the original code, Sindusk as the map was getting bloated from old deeds and items

It took days of work to clean up the database to a point where our server could handle it well. We finally got it down to a point where it's manageable. The server now loads up in ~3 minutes, a significant improvement from the ~10-20 minutes we were seeing earlier. We are also seeing absolutely no complaints about lagg, latency, spikes, or other server-related issues. Just the normal FPS drops in populated areas.

We have plans to reduce the amount of deeds on the map significantly over the coming weeks. We obviously do not want to simply manually disband all the abandoned deeds and assume they are gone, so I will be working on building a system to systematically remove them over time.

I hope you will consider playing with us on the newly launched Wyvern Reborn. The server should be up and running with good uptime from here on out. We may take it down for brief periods for mod updates, database maintainence, server speed improvements, and other miscellaneous tasks, but that should be expected during the initial launch period. I've made a new thread here to promote the server.

• Like 1