Sign in to follow this  
Jonneh

Wyvern

10 minutes ago, akaedis said:

[13:50:50] 62 other players are online. You are on Wyvern (67 totally in Wurm).
Abibas
Ahab
Alvargo
Apricity
Astavinu
Atticus
Blessinadress
Boogerman
Chinka

Chiba
Dinkydonk
Doshlicker
Dustmage
Eelkt
Fallinfstar
Friyanouce
Gullintani
Haitian
Harkonen
Inlun
Jacada
Jimmerdog
Joven
Kazui
Ladysermonalot
Ladysermonalotfive
Ladysermonalotfour
Ladysermonalotsix
Ladysermonalotthree
Ladysermonalottwo

Loaded
Magicarts
Nickwjm
Plexx
Plopper
Rejdukien
Sandman
Senortaco
Sirsermonalot
Sirsermonalotfive
Sirsermonalotfour
Sirsermonalotsix
Sirsermonalotthree
Sirsermonalottwo
Slossiegogem
Solita
Sturmwolf
Templarz
Thanatos
Tisaldor
Twitchy
Varkur
Waldo
Worbme
Zulon
55 Names, Including the sir/lady sermon alts makes 12 alt's

n2n809M.png 

Sooooo......

That only proves the login server is manipulating the alt players count to show up in the server browser for steam.    Not sure what that proves or accomplishes other than the admins want to include alts as actual unique player count, and i'm pretty sure this is not how steam intended this to work ..      Just my .2 

Edited by razoreqx

14 hours ago, razoreqx said:

That only proves the login server is manipulating the alt players count to show up in the server browser for steam.    Not sure what that proves or accomplishes other than the admins want to include alts as actual unique player count, and i'm pretty sure this is not how steam intended this to work ..      Just my .2 

They did do exactly that: 12/19/2015 Patch Notes

It's well known that many players use 6-20 sermon alts for gaining faith since the server is not modified to remove prayer limit per day. The actual number of players on Wyvern is below the amount of those listed directly underneath them on the server list - the value is just inflated.

I probably put the most time into Wyvern out of anyone and it's a shame to say it, but it's been a long time coming that Wyvern starts dying. That's just what happens when neglect sets in and there's no appointed GM's or patches to address the server's critical issues. The only thing that happens now is updates to the Wurm Unlimited version.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Huntar said:

=Huntar=

Why are you for a second time copying/inverting my avatar and using it after I changed it and now the =/= with your name between it as a signature? I have offended you in some manner indirectly without ever referencing you in particular?

=Ayes=

17 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Why are you for a second time copying/inverting my avatar and using it after I changed it and now the =/= with your name between it as a signature? I have offended you in some manner indirectly without ever referencing you in particular?

=Ayes=

not sure what thats about but you do know a signature function comes standard on modern message boards?

• Like 1

I was wondering how you made this 10c reward for voting on wurm-unlimited servers list.

Dead, and now the devs are back peddling because they know their server is at risk of being knocked down to second place on the listings.

Too little too late I'm afraid, their lack of communication and completely delayed responses have killed the server.

Wyvern is dead and has been taken over by Zenath. Unfortunately with it's horribly high skill gain and action timers that allow anyone to max a skill in a matter of a couple weeks to a month; I've decided to leave behind the "temporary" servers of WU and move onto the more reliable WO servers.

Never gonna look back either. I've had more fun on WO in the past week or so than I've had on WU in a year.

It's a sad day. When I saw the server was going down, I thought they were finally resetting PvP. I never expected them to close down the server without any warning. Hopefully someone will grab the files and re-host the server.

First of all, thank you Jonneh and Graham for Wyvern.

And here comes my question: how can I continue playing on Wyvern map as a private server?

I downloaded the files, made a new server the same way as I made my private server, then owerwrote the new server's file with the downloaded pve files, changed the IP but I couldnt start the new server. I think the .png files of the map are missing or I dont have any idea whats the problem.

If anyone knows how to continue playing on Wyvern PVE map as a private server, pls help me. Thanks.

I have the resources to re-host it, but it would be from a server in Canada. If there's enough interest I could possibly make it work. It will just require some time to mimic the mods that were in place to prevent the mechanics of the game from destroying a lot of what was created (for example, crops not withering so that animals can eat, etc.). Considering the current popularity and success of Zenath, I'm not sure if it is worth my time to do so.

Basically if Wyvern were to be re-hosted, it risks a split of players between Zenath and Wyvern, in which case there wouldn't be a strong amount of players on either side...

Here's a strawpoll - I know it wont be perfect, but it will at least give a gauge as to how people want to proceed.

Rehosting Wyvern Strawpoll

Regardless of how it goes, I played endless hours on Wyvern and enjoyed a vast majority of them. So thank you for that, and I'm glad we at least have the files necessary to allow it to continue breathing life.

This is what happens when you neglect your community.

It was suggested long ago that a highscores system be made to showcase the highest player skills on Wyvern. Now that the server data is in the hands of everyone, everyone has the means of seeing everyone's skills. I've made a spreadsheet that is ordered by the highest skilled players. You can view it here:

Wyvern High Scores (Google Sheets)

Hopefully everyone will find this interesting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

Lmfao, so happy I made the move to WO.

Give it a year. You won't be. First year or two in WO Is fun, After that its like why do i even bother paying for this game anymore

10 hours ago, Sindusk said:

I have the resources to re-host it, but it would be from a server in Canada. If there's enough interest I could possibly make it work. It will just require some time to mimic the mods that were in place to prevent the mechanics of the game from destroying a lot of what was created (for example, crops not withering so that animals can eat, etc.). Considering the current popularity and success of Zenath, I'm not sure if it is worth my time to do so.

Basically if Wyvern were to be re-hosted, it risks a split of players between Zenath and Wyvern, in which case there wouldn't be a strong amount of players on either side...

Here's a strawpoll - I know it wont be perfect, but it will at least give a gauge as to how people want to proceed.

Regardless of how it goes, I played endless hours on Wyvern and enjoyed a vast majority of them. So thank you for that, and I'm glad we at least have the files necessary to allow it to continue breathing life.

Hey Sindusk

I hope you will think about rehosting Wyvern PvE at least. Alot of people put so much effort into deeds on that server, and it ending like this is just so disappointing! Having established a community and taken care of a server in a year or so, I expected more from Jonneh and Graham, than to just shut it down overnight without any notice or anything. I'm very thankful for the work they did so far, but that end.. wow. It's best just to let things go unsaid for me, because they aren't positive. I just never thought that somebody that put so many hours into something like that, could behave like that towards their own community.  

Anyway as I said I hope you'll think about hosting the PvE map again at least. I have no idea how to run a server, let alone setting one up, but I'll be damn grateful to the guy doing it. 

And if you do, and if you feel you need it, then ask for donations, and appoint some CM's and GM's to help you carry the burden of running a server, instead of doing it on your own, slowly draining you for energy and love for the game. Setting up the old community that was destroyed because of neglect and frustration will take some time and effort though.  

10 hours ago, Sindusk said:

I have a 24x7 300Mbps Linux machine in Europe to host it too. I don't have much experience on wurm servers, but i can learn :)

I'm confused as to why they shut down their forums, pretty silly if you ask me

I think the real help would be telling us how to continue playing using Wyvern's database because a new hosting only means another few month or a year. It would be nice if somebody can host it but what if he changes his mind and shut down the server again? Thats the worst part of WU. If we join any server its guaranteed that our playtime is limited because the server will go and we can start again from zero.

So personally I would be happy if anyone can tell me how to continue playing on as a private server because i think thats the safest.

I now how to make a private server with custom map but I dont know how to use this database files. I tried to copy them to the new private servers sqlite directory then changed the server IP but it didnt work. Then tried to copy the database files one by one so i could login, could see the Wyvern map, the creatures but no buildings and items. Without the wurmitems.db (~320MB) it seems ok, but with it, it doesnt work for me.

Dont know what am I doing wrong or that wurmitems.db file has an issue.

5 hours ago, Bobob said:

I think the real help would be telling us how to continue playing using Wyvern's database because a new hosting only means another few month or a year. It would be nice if somebody can host it but what if he changes his mind and shut down the server again? Thats the worst part of WU. If we join any server its guaranteed that our playtime is limited because the server will go and we can start again from zero.

So personally I would be happy if anyone can tell me how to continue playing on as a private server because i think thats the safest.

I now how to make a private server with custom map but I dont know how to use this database files. I tried to copy them to the new private servers sqlite directory then changed the server IP but it didnt work. Then tried to copy the database files one by one so i could login, could see the Wyvern map, the creatures but no buildings and items. Without the wurmitems.db (~320MB) it seems ok, but with it, it doesnt work for me.

Dont know what am I doing wrong or that wurmitems.db file has an issue.

It's not that simple. Because of the type of modding that the Wyvern devs did, you cannot simply plug it into an unmodified server and expect it to work. For example, the "Depth Drill" item that they created is completely unique. Without having a mod for the depth drill like they did, there's no possible way to launch the server successfully. It will require someone with technical know-how and time on their hands to sift through the errors that the server encounters, then resolve them by hand.

The only other alternative would be if Graham and Jonneh gave their server modifications with the download, but I don't expect that anytime soon.

You are right, one of the problem was the depth drill and there were ~66 chain armor parts that had a template ID -10. Their template ID and Wurm ID didnt matched if I understood right. Now I deleted all these items from the db but still having problems. Hope I can find them. Or I just made more errors by deleting those items. :)

IMO, Wyvern should stay dead, and Zenath should take over. That's what happens when the GM's don't assist on community concerns and improvements. At least Zenath seems to have more GM involvement.

Well as of this moment, it appears to be majority support for re-hosting the server, so I will attempt to do so. Unknown how long it may take to get it restored and working properly.

Kind of curious how this server worked based on the recent comments I just read.

Was it a subscription/premium type server where you paid to play or was it actually free to play, so no costs for the players themselves?

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

Kind of curious how this server worked based on the recent comments I just read.

Was it a subscription/premium type server where you paid to play or was it actually free to play, so no costs for the players themselves?

It was free as it was WU - no monthly fee. But I would gladly have donated to keep the server around. I worked on my deed for over 10 months, and spent 2.400+ hours just on that server. 

The admins made some independent coding and items themselves it seems. 

Seeing Sindusk saying it can't be restored wothout the coding from Jonneh and Graham pretty much kill the game for me. I don't want to go through such an experience again. I joined Wyvern because of a promise of a stable server that wouldn't be shut down without notice just like other private servers, as Bobob is now fearing. I can't say I blame him after this.