Sign in to follow this  
JDBooker

Map imports from Ordnance Survey maps.

I wanna be able to import real maps of where i live. :)

In the UK, Ordnance Survey maps have the area covered, with elevations, terrains, roads etc.

and I'm sure other countries have their own equivalent too.

i wonder if it could be read in somehow. ..please :)

Google maps is definitely possible to use as the first part of the source via - http://www.sketchup.com/ . Think it also can read via the Ordinance survey maps as well

SketchUP can read Google maps via its API and create a height map / contour map from it. Would be the first part of the puzzle just need Wurm map creater that can read any of the formats that SketchUP can export to.

Be aware that importing maps to scale will not be that exciting and dramatic.   Those mountains you might see from your house are 100km away and you cannot make a practical Wurm map that big as a reasonable high earth mountain would consume the entire 8km base map.  Which means if you want to have mountain backdrop they need to be hills with impossibly steep slopes.  Seems Wurm Online is using 1m = 1dirt for map height imports even though actual game scale is 1m = 10 dirt.

The maps that you want are grayscale 16b survey maps either from aerial or sat scans, or conversions to height maps by interpolating topographical contours onto a grid. Usually such maps have 1m height resolution, just pretend that is height in dirt - make the tradeoff of hill height vs. hill slope and find the scale between 1:1 and 1:10 that makes you happy.  

There is also the requirement of Wurm servers needing to be literal islands so you need to paint an ocean ring around where you live.

AK_ has written a grayscale image importer as well as biome colormaps.

Edited by yarnevk