Sign in to follow this  
Eldurian

You're two steps from viable gyspy/nomad play - Portable ways to sleep, and portable altars

I want to be a traveling blacksmith. Load your forge and anvils into a wagon, a barrel of water, your tools, a crate of forge fuel. You can do everything you need from a wagon or any larger boat. Just hit up some abandoned mines here and there or trade your wares for metal and you have it made.

I want to be a traveling woodworker. Cool, all your tools fit easily into a cart. And you'll see a great variety of trees you can cut in your travels. Never have to worry about a lack of cedar or oak again.

I want to be a travelling tailor. The only big things you need are a water source and a loom.

I want my whole village to be migrant! If you log off in a boat or wagon you'll log back in on that same/boat or wagon when you wake up.

There are only 2 things I've noticed really hampering this playstyle.

1. Beds are the only ways to gain SB and must be used in buildings.

There are a few solutions to this one. The simplest is just allow people to use a basic tent or explorer's tent as a bed. Or for more realism add a sleeping bag item that can be used with a tent as a bed.

The other would be implement a traveler's wagon or traveler's boat that will allow X people to use it as a bed. One of the big upsides to doing it that way is if your people have to pitch tents to get SB you can't move and get SB at the same time. With a traveler's wagon people could log out on the wagon and get the benefit of being in a wagon that can move and sleeping in a bed.

2. There is no such thing as a portable altar.

This really hurt's priests or any nomadic village which would want a priest, which is sad given priests would otherwise be one of the most easily migrant styles of gameplay. Currently a priest wishing to be nomadic would have to carry around a massive hunk of gold or silver, heat it up, and plot down an altar anywhere they wish to pray. Not only would that be hard on the priest, but it would leave unwanted altars everywhere like giant golden priest turds.

Playing off the the traveler's wagon or travler's boat idea in point one you could easily equip such modes of transportation with their own altar that becomes aligned if a priest blesses that vehicle, or just add some kind of altar that can be loaded/unloaded.

Conclusion

What benefit does having a greater capacity for migrant gameplay give? Well for one, Wurm Online has the greatest established community with the most land to explore. A migrant lifestyle will be a major draw to WO over WU if it's viable and fun. For another it just greatly benefits the social environment of the game. Where many people live secluded on their own deeds only interacting with their close neighbors an viable style of migrant gameplay could create traveling merchants and traveling villages that will move through various areas bringing with them trade. You could even consider making the traveler's wagon / boat I keep suggesting able to come with an on-board merchant.

Edited by Eldurian
  • Like 9

I see this as a great way to add sand to the sand box.  Wurm is big and there is lots to see - Why not make it possible to live on the road?

+ 1

Only problem with the altar thing is it would be terribly OP in PvP. Now at least priests need vesselled gems, or a real altar. I can already hear the screams when priest start hitting the battlefields with their own altar and a bag of corn :)

Only problem with the altar thing is it would be terribly OP in PvP. Now at least priests need vesselled gems, or a real altar. I can already hear the screams when priest start hitting the battlefields with their own altar and a bag of corn :)

Yeah I thought of that one too. Especially since I am living on epic and would do just that. I think you could have two ways to make it work. One as Baloo suggested make it PvE only. Disable the sac options on portable alters on PvP servers.

Two you could make it so that in order to get the sac option the vehicle has to have not been moving or the altar has to have not been planted for X period of time. Sort of like a compass but measured in minutes instead of seconds.

Also if these boats were slower than a knarr/wagons slower than a regular wagon then that would be a serious drawback on PvP servers anyway if you made the altar part of the vehicle.

Edited by Eldurian

The altars have to have no influence and something like not moving for a period of time to sacrifice would be a good idea, so practically no area for abuse, and able to be implemented on pvp servers

You paint a nice picture here of the traveling merchant/trader/vagabond Eldurian. For this lifestyle I agree that a tent pitched that provided the ability to get the sleep bonus by clicking it would be a great idea, so it would be nice if the Devs added this to their function.

As for altars, I have nothing to do with them so I will leave this concern to others who find them to be of use.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

I just spent the last week hunting in Northeast Xanadu, living out of a wagon and let me say it was not difficult at all to find an abandoned forge and even houses with beds. Furthermore when I could not find them before I needed to log off it would not have been difficult to build a 1x1 and put a bed in it.

However, I do like the idea of making camp more easily and more quickly but it can't be instant. There must be some kind of setup. Perhaps your camp needs a 3x3 level packed spot and works like a spell cast with a 3 minute timer. When complete it "summons" a campsite with a tent for sleeping and a better fire than the regular camp fire?

Well with the suggestion of just making some kind of portable altar and making tents useable for sleeping it's nice because tents already exist as an item:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Explorer_tent

And a portable altar wouldn't be hard to model.

You could definitely do yurts or something for some additional nomad style but to just use existing explorer's tents be quick and simple.

The traveler wagon/boat idea, beyond making it easier to move around as a group is all about style. I'm imagining something like a gypsie's wagon or the Tinkers from Wheel of time. Like this:

Vdt0207d15_019.jpg

Edited by Eldurian
  • Like 1

+1

Also goes hand in hand with the 3-crate midpoint between sailboat and cog suggestion.

Bedrolls (sometimes called blanket rolls) the grandfather of sleeping bags has come up before, and I've always been for it was a portable bed. Lesser sleep bonus regen and the like.

Something as a portable altar would be nice; though, imho there would need to be mechanics in place to prevent a player from just quickly dropping such a thing. Past bug exploits letting player carry active altars in pvp have made this issue very apparent.

+1 for being able to sleep in a tent

Otherwise, it would be nice to be able to unload a bed and sleep in a mine; possibly requiring that the space be reinforced to prevent a cave-in upon the sleeper.

The pavilion currently has no use aside from decor. An added feature could be to allow sleeping in a bed which is under a pavilion, but that would require having some sort of pickup protection for the bed and pavilion. When attempting to use a bed in an incomplete house you are told that "the house is too windy to provide protection", so the pavilion would likely need more coverage.

This idea I had as well a while ago and still stalled for quite the same reason...

Bedrolls (sometimes called blanket rolls) the grandfather of sleeping bags has come up before, and I've always been for it was a portable bed. Lesser sleep bonus regen and the like.

Something as a portable altar would be nice; though, imho there would need to be mechanics in place to prevent a player from just quickly dropping such a thing. Past bug exploits letting player carry active altars in pvp have made this issue very apparent.

Right now it's possible to drop an altar wherever you need as a priest as long as you have some hot silver or gold and took the time to level jewelry smithing before preisting up.

I think any kind of portable altar should take about the same time before you can use it for saccing that it would take to heat metal up in a campfire and probably be fairly hard/expensive to build. Equivalent to say a ballista. That wouldn't be too unbalanced.

Right now it's possible to drop an altar wherever you need as a priest as long as you have some hot silver or gold and took the time to level jewelry smithing before preisting up.

I think any kind of portable altar should take about the same time before you can use it for saccing that it would take to heat metal up in a campfire and probably be fairly hard/expensive to build. Equivalent to say a ballista. That wouldn't be too unbalanced.

Indeed, and such altars have a delay when blessed before coming into power.

The issue in the past arose with fully blessed altars being packed around in inventory, which allowed for mobile god domains.

+1

For mobile sleeping: High end tent or bedroll item with slower SB

For mobile altars: give them a 1hr setup timer, with announcement in local when that timer starts. Or limit them to PvE servers.

I have often thought about how we should be able to sleep with a tent. perhaps a slightly redused sb gain to encourage the "comfortable bed"

I have also thought how it would be nice to be able to light a loaded oven in a large ship. spending some time out at sea fishing and cooking up meals.

Never thought about the portable alter though. I like this idea. or at least be able to load wooden and possibly even stone alters into large carts and wagons. Not be allowed to unload in an oposing influenced area or something. After unloading have its own influence area start out small and over time expand according to its quality.

Regarless I thought often on the beniits of a nomadic life in Wurm. Crews of people trail blazing a map createing highways and acting as a traveling impalong.

My current thoughts on the portable altar:

Name: Ark (Based off of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_Covenant)

Creation: 60 fine carpentry or maybe jewelry smithing

5 diamonds

3 rubies

3 sapphires

3 emeralds

5kg gold

10 planks

2 shafts

2kg sq cloth

Must be blessed by a priest to become aligned.

Can be used for prayer / faith gains at any time. Even from inside a moving wagon/boat.

Must be planted 10 minutes to be used for sacrificing at QL 1 or 5 minutes at QL 99.99

Must be planted 1hr for influence at QL1 or 30 minutes at QL 99.

Cannot be planted within the influence of another deity.

Edited by Eldurian
  • Like 2

+1

I like this idea, especially some form of travel where one can log off easily.

My only point to raise is that if you do want to attempt a traveling village you're going to need more than one wagon which means you'd all need to be logged in at the same time to move site (a bit tricky for larger settlements).  A device that players can carry or put in a cart that allows a compass to be tuned to it with a spell (thus allowing easy tracking without the involuntary aspect) would be an important addition for the travelling village notion (that or AMAZING mapkeeping ;) ).

• Like 1

That's an interesting thought. You do already have involuntary tracking through the form of locate spells but a specific carried device that you can voluntarily use to allow non-priests to track you would be kind of cool.

That's not the only way to move around as a large group though. Say you have a village of 15 people. A large cart can carry 1 driver and 3 passengers. So you could assign each villager a cart to log off in as a passenger any time you are getting ready for a move. That would require 5 carts. Then you have an additional wagon you guys move big stuff in. So to move the whole village 6 people would need to be online. You could get by with just 4 carts and the wagon too if you knew who at least 3 of the drivers would be before the move.

A group of seafaring travelers would have it even easier. You only need one caravel for every 13 passengers 12 for a knarr and even sailboats can do 4 passengers.

+1 and I wish a couple of people could sleep in the wagon, and that forges or ovens would work in there.

• Like 1