Sign in to follow this  
cmiddlebrook

Cannot purchase in $USD?

On the DL gamer website it is listed as $23.99 USD but if I try to hit pre-order with USD selected it says not available. If I switch to £UK then its £17.99 which does not convert well - my Paypal account wants to translate that into $28.59 which is $4.60 more than the listed price!

If it's listed as $23.99 I want to pay $23.99, not $28.59! How can I pay in $USD for this?

I've also sent a support ticket to DLGamer with the same question. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue and solved it?

Edited by cmiddlebrook

Answering my own question - I used a US IP address and then it let me select USD and pay $23.99 with my Paypal account. Pretty stupid that you can't simply select what currency you'd like to use regardless of what country you're in but there you go.

And scratch that, support emailed me back saying that Euro customers had to pay VAT hence the higher price and promptly refunded my purchase and banned my account. Nice.

Bad website aside, are you really that surprised that they banned you for attempting fraud?

• Like 1

Didn't realise that was fraud! Thought their crappy website just didn't work properly as it didn't allow you select your currency. They've unbanned it now and I purchased in £UK on credit card rather than paypal so I didn't have the $US conversion fees.

Can't be sure, but they were probably worried that you were trying to avoid VAT. Glad it worked out.

Different prices for different regions due to things like VAT etc.

Always been this way, for pretty much every product.

Why did you want to pay in USD if you're in EU anyway?

Because I have an online business and deal in $USD. I prefer to just pay for things on my Paypal account and that is $USD so if I pay in US then I don't have to pay conversion fees. Nowadays it's just a habit to pay for most things in $USD.

Because I have an online business and deal in $USD. I prefer to just pay for things on my Paypal account and that is $USD so if I pay in US then I don't have to pay conversion fees. Nowadays it's just a habit to pay for most things in $USD.

Same here, fortunately i have multiple currencies on my paypal so i can pay in  Â£, €, $ and Â¥.

not bing able to pay in dollars, the next cheapest was Euro which was allowed, and gave an extra ~5% discount on UKP price, £17.07 instead of £17:99

but still not as good as the USD Conversion of £16.16.

And scratch that, support emailed me back saying that Euro customers had to pay VAT hence the higher price and promptly refunded my purchase and banned my account. Nice.

*laughs*

Going through all this just to save an additional 10% on the 10% discount that Steam will offer on release? After reading all these types of posts reading the convolutions that DLGamer will put you through to sell their discounted tokens I am staying well clear of it. I am pretty sure that Steam offers a straight US dollar purchase too, which is of course beneficial to those who deal in that currency rather than this euro stuff.

=Ayes=

*laughs*

Going through all this just to save an additional 10% on the 10% discount that Steam will offer on release? After reading all these types of posts reading the convolutions that DLGamer will put you through to sell their discounted tokens I am staying well clear of it. I am pretty sure that Steam offers a straight US dollar purchase too, which is of course beneficial to those who deal in that currency rather than this euro stuff.

=Ayes=

No they don't. Steam will sell it to you in your local currency i.e. where your steam account is registered so if you are in the UK for instance as per the OP he will be charged in GBP which will include the 20% VAT rate. What the OP was trying to do was fraud specifically an offence against the 1994 VAT act by trying to pay for VAT eligible goods for a consumer without paying the VAT.

All good Merchants operate the same and any that doesn't set off alarm bells as they are dodgy as hell.

• Like 1

/me watches quietly by as UK customs and excise tracks down VAT fraudsters and charges them 10% import duty, + 20% VAT, and a £50 tax evasion fine :)

so VAT = Very Abusive Tax? or what? 

we need another Robin Hood. people are becoming too complacent. (me thinks)

• Like 1

so VAT = Very Abusive Tax? or what? 

we need another Robin Hood. people are becoming too complacent. (me thinks)

Government steals your money as often as they can here in the UK.

When you earn it, when you spend it, when you drive...if they could tax breathing, they would.

• Like 1